Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide and Honey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide and Honey

I tried out an experiment with my harvested honey from our bee hives this year. After about 3 or 4 weeks from harvest, the honey had pretty much crystallized into a paste. Not uncommon. It's great for spreading, but not so much for my wife's biscuits......
    I decided to low and slow some honey using my SV. I set it to 106° and let it go for about 8 hours. Wouldn't you know it, the honey looked great!
    The color did not change, so I know I didn't heat it too high. It might take a bit to get through all of it, but it's not really all that much effort after all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200607_223242.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	858736

Name:	IMG_20200604_095848.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	858737

I also did some in an old honey bear jar we had gotten from Costco. The Costco stuff is on the right. I far prefer the stuff from my backyard.

Name:	IMG_20200517_121530.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	858738

Thanks for that! Gonna keep this one in the bag of tricks for when it’s needed.
    Last edited by andy.wpg; June 8, 2020, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I did the same thing with some honey we had. Didn't leave it in 8 hours but it's nice to know it had no impact on it.

Comment

Great post, thank you.

Comment

Brilliant solution to an ages old problem!
          Thanks fer postin!

Comment

If you have a hot tub, you can un-crystallize your honey in it. Just put the lid on tight!

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              or leave the lid off for a little fun. We used to fill the shower head up with sugar in college. People shower, dry off, and are sticky...

No need for a SV any type of heating apparatus will work. Honey shouldn't crystalize under proper storage. But if it does just a soak in any hot water bath will work. I use a pan of boiling water, in about 15 minutes you have clear ready to use honey.

Comment

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Since when, MS, are you setting the standards for how OTHER people use THEIR sous vide? Frankly, your criticism is inappropriate and you are utterly missing MrM's point. And I have no idea why you think honey shouldn't crystallize. My experience coincides with MrM -- warming honey with a low and slow method preserves the aroma and flavor of honey much better compared with warming at hotter temps. If all you want is sweet, then sure, boil away.

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              I conducted numerous tests and found that with the right grade of meats and overnight dry brines my expensive Anova did not add anything to my cooks. So it has been sent to the back of the junk drawer.

Even Culottes are great cooked to a rare med-rare. Picanha were called Culottes in the US and cut into a steak . Why do we have to call something by an overseas name when we had a perfectly good name for it 50 years ago?

Good luck as you experiment and learn how to use your SV machine.
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 9, 2020, 02:56 PM.

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow 😬

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here