Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skin-on chicken thighs - results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skin-on chicken thighs - results

In an earlier post, I asked about Sous Vide skin-on chicken thighs. A couple posters said not to bother.

I agree with that assessment. Don't get me wrong, they came out great!

I dry-brined the night before, sprinkled on, and rubbed under, the skin, sealed 'em up and circulated them the next day at 165 for an 1 hr 45 minutes.

Since I wasn't eating them the same day, I shocked them in ice water, for 30 minutes.

The next day, I patted them dry, and seared them on the old GrillGrates equipped gasser. I forget how long, I took 'em up to 175 and pulled them off the heat.

They were moist, juicy, tender and flavorful. They pretty much turned out the same as if I had just grilled them in the first place, so probably not worth the extra time and effort involved with the Sous Vide. Like I stated in the earlier post, I had time to mess with them, so I did. Next time, I'll just toss 'em on the gril.

Thanks, again, everyone, for the great tips!

Chicken thighs are my favorite chicken pieces. They grill up SO good. It's fun to have the time to play too, now you can give advice next time someone new to SV asks a similar question.

Comment

Skinsfan1311 LOVE that avatar!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll second the love for the avatar! 😈

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        😡😡

Yep there are few things that are worth the time SV if cooked right. It is just another fancy BBQ machine.

Comment

The good thing about SV and anything chicken is that at least you know the meat is fully and safely cooked before it is seared off. This is particularly helpful when doing lots of pieces of chicken on a grill, where heat across a grill's surface is uneven and the contours of the chicken parts are uneven as well.

Also, with SV you don't have to temp the meat while on the grill, just focus on getting a nice char on it.

And finally, with SV you don't have to worry about transferring raw salmonella-laden chicken from tray to grill, possibly contaminating surfaces in the process. Everything around the grill--shelf, tray, or table remains "bug" free.

I don't SV chicken when cooking for the two of us, but when cooking for a larger group, say 6 or more, SV makes serving safe, tasty and juicy chicken much more relaxing from a time management standpoint and worry-free from a food safety standpoint.

Just my two pennies' worth.

Kathryn

Comment

If you have bulk thighs you can SV them and shock to freeze in the vac bag. Pull as you will bread and fry. Quick, clean and easy fried chicken.

Add a pickle juice or giardenaire juice (spelling? The spicy picked relish) or other flavorful liquid to the bag. This will open up the possibilities as you go forward.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here