Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skin-on chicken thighs - what temp & how long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skin-on chicken thighs - what temp & how long

The title pretty much says it all. I've read take 'em to 165, but I find that chicken thighs are tastier at 180. Plan is to add a little lemon pepper, seal, Sous Vide, then finish in skillet, or grill, (weather permitting). Crispy skin is a must!

Any suggestions? Thanks!

For the science of it - https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/...high.html#temp

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Never thought to SV chicken thighs, though I do breasts all the time.

Originally posted by pkadare View Post

Thanks!

That's one of my go-to sites. I perused it before posting here. Looks like 165 is the way to go. It's just counter to everything that I know about cooking them. They're edible at 165, but perfect at 180, when using other cooking methods.

I'll give it a shot at 165 and see how it goes.

Thanks, again!

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to keep in mind that SV cooking is quite a bit different from any other method. The fact that you can hold the cooking medium at an exact temperature for an extended period of time is what makes it different. For me, 180 degrees for chicken, even for dark meat, regardless of the cooking method is way over done. The recommended method for a whole chicken is 165 in the thickest part of the thigh.

I recomend a change of football teams. Go Giants!

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Go Rams!!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      No Cowgirls! HouseHomey hehehe

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Isn't that atruck? TripleB ?

I always cook thighs past 165. I have found they are much more forgiving.

Comment

When I pull them the IT is usually 175-180. Just my preference. If they are in a cooker the entire time without sous vide I keep the temp 375-400 for crispy skin.

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        I do the same. We prefer skin on thighs with meat falling off the bone.

160-165F Breasts 175F thighs

Comment

I cook chicken thighs on my Rec Tec RT700. I start them at the extreme smoke setting of 180 degrees for an hour and then crank it up to 375 until the IT is 175-180. Crispy skin with moist and tender interior.

Comment

Eliminate the SV.

I cook them often. For me Cast iron or anything hot. Skin side down. Get a good crust and I finish in the oven at 375 convection or finish in the pan all the way.

For me, bagging them for crispy skin doesn’t jive. Sure does for fried chicken though. I’m not saying it work work it just seems like a lot of work to make the chicken soggy and then firm it up when the meat is already fatty and tender.

170°-175° is great and they’ll rest up to about 180 usually.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on 170-175*

Often times I find that eating chicken thighs is better if I'm in my boxers. It's a Covid-19 thing I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
            Eliminate the SV.

I cook them often. For me Cast iron or anything hot. Skin side down. Get a good crust and I finish in the oven at 375 convection or finish in the pan all the way.

For me, bagging them for crispy skin doesn’t jive. Sure does for fried chicken though. I’m not saying it work work it just seems like a lot of work to make the chicken soggy and then firm it up when the meat is already fatty and tender.

170°-175° is great and they’ll rest up to about 180 usually.
            Understood. I cook thighs a lot and
            usually grill them on the old gasser. I bought a set of Grillgrates, to replace the last set of grates, and broke them in with thighs.

Since I'm working remotely, I have time to mess around with the SV, so I've been experimenting. I salted, sprinkled with Simon & Garfunkel and sealed 'em up. I'll stick 'em in the SV, and finish in the skillet, and see what happens.

Thanks!

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              They’ll be money!!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here