Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe or not?

So the easy answer here is toss but I hate to waste food. Long story short, the anova shut off sometime overnight and the 158F bath was at 71F this morning (about 10 hours after I checked it). It has been running for about 14 hours at the time, so everything in the bag was pasteurized etc. Air temp overnight is about 55F.

I think it's apparent that it didnt shut down an hour before I checked or it would have been warmer, nor did it shut down right after I saw it was at 158F or it would have been close to air temp (big bath, in a 12 qt Cambro).

What would you do? This is a pork butt, btw.
    Last edited by rickgregory; April 19, 2020, 12:14 PM.

You need to determine how long it was below 130 degrees. That is the bottom of the safe zone. I am thinking you lost power fairly early on say after four hours. It would take a while to drop from 158-130. Then in the danger zone from 130 to 71 nearly 59 degrees a longer time. My thinking is that water is a good insulator and it must cool before the meat can start cooling.

Comment

Yeah the problem is that I was asleep so have no idea when the Anova flaked out (it was asserting that the water temp was -17F...). IF I lost power 4 hours in then it would have started at 158F and declined slowly. Say it took an hour to hit 129F. That would put it at about 4AM. It was 71F at 9am. So... at the edge of things.

Comment

In this case I would assume the worst case scenario and toss it. Pork butts are cheap, ER visits are not.

Comment

Sigh. Yeah.

Comment

”If in doubt, throw it out!” That has been my "better safe than sorry motto."

Comment

Another shout for "toss it out"!

Comment

Almost every time I say toss the questionably-cooked meat, someone goes ahead and finishes it up, eats it, and says it was just fine and no one got sick.

Even so, I persist. Toss it. If there ever was a time to avoid a hospital visit, it's now.

Kathryn

Comment

I agree with all the above. Peace of mind is worth more than whatever that butt cost. And I REALLY hate to throw food away.

Comment

I also hate wasting food. I hate food poisoning even more, which I have had several times..........DUMP IT! and as Kathryn said above....now is not the time on needing to go to the hospital.

Comment

Feed it to the dogs first, if they survive you have a fighting chance.

Seriously, see if the book Thermodynamics for Dummies is on line. It will help you calculate heat loss based on ambient room temperature and the size of the vessel.

Also found this a while back....

Due to evaporation the heat loss from an open water tank like a swimming pool may be considerable.
                      Last edited by Troutman; April 20, 2020, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Yeah tossing it. It's probably fine but I spent a week in the hospital last year, no itch to do it again.

Also, time for a new SV unit after the pandemic. The Anova is crap. Not only did it flake out on me, here's the clamp for it. This is the second one....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	835236
                        Last edited by rickgregory; April 20, 2020, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          How annoying! Take a look at the Joule if you're interested in a change but only if running a sous vide unit by app suits your personality. Personally, I love it. I have 2 Joules so I can SV veggies while the meat is hanging out in another SV tub.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here