Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide and Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide and Me

I'm fairly new to Sous Vide and I'm really starting to appreciate the new possibilities. For my birthday my wife presented me with a gynormous dry aged tomahawk ribeye from Carsan Farms. Given the time to do so I prefer sous vide for steaks so gave it a go. Kosher salt dry brined over night and into the magic bath at 129 degrees for three hours. Patted dry, brushed with olive oil and a quick grind of pepper and straight on the Weber / SNS for a cold grate sear to 140 internal. I was a little disappointed I didn't get perfect edge to edge pink and assume I should have cooked sous vide a little higher to reduce sear time on a 3" cut. Still quite tasty nonetheless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200411_154421.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	830663

Name:	20200411_154846.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	830664

Name:	20200411_192615.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	830665

Name:	20200411_193251.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	830666

Don't be too hard on yourself, that looks stellar.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

Looks good to me.

Comment

I'd eat that!

Comment

+1 on BourBonQ comment. Looks scrumptious!

Comment

Looks great. Shocking it cold will help with the grey band issue. I don’t usually mind a bit of banding, but when I have the time and desire.

Comment

I’d eat that! It looks great! And +1 on PKB’s comment about ice bath/shock then searing if you have some time.

Comment

That's a beautiful birthday steak. I can barely see any banding anyway. The important things are your wife's thoughtfulness and enjoying the results of your cook with her. Happy Birthday, belatedly.

Kathryn

Comment

• cgrover60
                cgrover60 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Kathryn.

don' t see how it could be any better, Happy B-day, Kiss the wife.

Comment

That looks awesome. I almost always sous vide steaks these days because it just removes all stress about timing, since I am juggling work, parenting, teaching, drinking too much...This was my effort this past weekend
                Attached Files

Comment

I would sooooooo eat that!

Comment

That looks pretty darn good

Comment

I’m impressed. I just started my first SV experience 90 minutes ago. Am SV’ing a 28 day home dry aged ribeye.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Tell ya what I think, from where ahm'a settin; rarely in this life have I ever seen a better lookin steak...
                        Ain't never dipped even my pinky toe in th SV pond, but I'm bout a half-arsed good cook, an can tell th difference!
                        BTW, Happy (Belated) Birthday, Brother, here's to Many More!

Comment

• cgrover60
                          cgrover60 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Mr. Bones. Good to see you back.

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thankee fer yer kind words, Brother; it is good to both be back, an see folks I love such as yerself.
                          Be safe an well...

That is over cooked for me more medium than med-rare. That is why I don't like SV steaks. Your already at or past med-rare when you take it out of the bag. Why SV whey you can reverse sear. That is a beautiful steak, and a Happy Birthday to you sir.
                        Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 1, 2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• cgrover60
                          cgrover60 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Actually out of the bag it was at 129 and reverse seared to 135. The SV advantage I like is knowing exactly how done the steak is before the sear. The down side of course is less time baby sitting the grill with a beer assistant.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here