Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Pastrami

Just tasted my 2 week long brisket to corned beef (wet brine) to pastrami. Not sure if I messed something up. Followed Meatheads corned beef wet brine recipe, then the sous vide pastrami recipe. Looks like pastrami, tastes okay, but not terribly juicy or fatty. Could I have trimmed too much fat off? And after 30 hrs in the sous vide at 150F, should I have discarded the liquids from the brisket, in the sous vide bag or cooled the corned beef with the liquid, then discarded when I was ready to apply the pastrami dry rub? Smoked the corned beef in a PBC to warm it through and add the smoke flavour too it, not bad but not a great bark nor smokey flavour too it. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200404_1229218.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	828861Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200405_1130173.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	828857Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200409_1343348.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	828859Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200409_1534011.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	828858Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200409_1540337.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	828862
    Attached Files

I haven't had the guts yet to do a regular pastrami but here is a link to check out. Looks like he did the smoke before the sous vide.

Comment

Here's a link to the SVQ I did a while back, comparing various pastrami cooking methods. I didn't use my PBC, though, I used my WSCGC with the SnS instead.

I posted this comment over on another topic, and am taking the liberty of re-posting it in this forum, since it is a comparison of Clint Cantwell's Sous Vide-Que

The SVQ pastramis were equally as good as the one smoked old school (Meathead's Katz recipe).

Polarbear777 has an excellent pastrami topic here:

“Two-Week QVQ Pastrami” A: 12lb packer cured into corned beef, 5-7 days (use Blonder wet cure calculator or recipe from “Serious Eats”. https://amazingribs.

He has a great QVQ method, which I have also used and much prefer to Clint Cantwell's recipe over on the free side.

Kathryn

Comment

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Polarbear777 pics is the best looking pastrami I've seen on this or any other site. I cannot believe I haven't done any pastrami. "It must happen soon".

Whether you think it’s worth it to do the pre-smoke or not, the finishing smoke is required for good bark.

QVQ chuckie. I tried chuckies several times and was always disappointed. Too dry. I wrapped earlier and it was good, but basically a pot roast. After hearing

Comment

Ive linked this one before...

lloyd does a literal ton of Pastrami, and this is the full Megillah. I made it and it was amazing. Highly recommend with the QVQ.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sure it was but I'm with Meathead on cold smoking stuff.

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          There's a big difference between cold smoking something like salmon where it isn't going to be cooked before consuming, and something cured which is sous vided at 142 degrees for 48 hours and then smoked at 200 degrees after the cold smoke and prior to serving.
          Last edited by pkadare; May 31, 2020, 04:22 AM.

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Potkettleblack! I'm going to try the KosherDosher method the next time I make pastrami.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here