Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denver Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're reading my mind randy56. Gonna cook one tomorrow or Tuesday. I have a few and I’ll alternate SV and lump charcoal. With all the above information, I’ll be grubbing in Denver steak 🥩 for awhile, until I get it right.
    Last edited by freddh; March 8, 2020, 06:44 PM.

Comment

It may have been the way it was cut. The muscle should be butchered out and then cut into two sections due to grain. This creates two triangular pieces of meat. The points then need to be cut off for proper portioning of steaks. However because weight is money to the butcher some places leave the muscle whole and just cut steaks from the whole muscle which leads to several steaks being tougher to chew because the grain has changed direction.

Comment

Donw I think you’re on to something here. I had the meat cutter give me the whole piece. Without knowing what I was doing, I used previous techniques for Top Sirloin (Picana) and Tri Tip. Eg knowing how the grain went. Now that you’ve posted, I now know that I was on the right track. With your instruction, future Denver steaks will be a breeze. The other comments were still useful as well. That’s why I’ve belonged to this site for so long. Another tip was the meat cutter at the commissary: they sell the boneless short rib (Denver steak) for the same price as the chuck itself. So there’s no incentive beyond a pretty piece of meat regardless of grain and using the entire muscle.
        Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here