Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denver Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeSousa
    replied
    I have only had one Denver steak but don't remember it being tough. Definitely not tenderloin tender but nothing I would consider tough. Like others have said, maybe just a bad piece of meat?

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Sometimes you just get a cut of beef from a tough cow. Grade of beef is important. Was it prime, choice, select? If it didn't SAY prime or choice, then it was select, the lowest grade of consumer beef, and usually the toughest, with the least marbling.

Leave a comment:

• hoovarmin
    replied
    freddh I'd say the steak itself was the culprit.

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    replied
    Sous vide is never likely to make any cut of meat tougher than it would have been cooked with another method. If anything, what you need to watch out for with SV is cooking for too long and turning the meat mushy. I'd be willing to bet that had you had 2 Denver steaks cut from the same primal and cooked one SV and one in a more traditional method, they likely would have come out the same, or the more traditionally cooked one may have been even tougher. Meat, being organic can very widely in taste and tenderness.

Leave a comment:

• grantgallagher
    replied
    I usually do exactly that then a hard sear. Always found it excellent. One of my fave steaks.

i know thats not much help but i really cant pinpoint the potential issue.
    Last edited by grantgallagher; March 3, 2020, 05:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• freddh
    started a topic Denver Steak

Denver Steak

Anyone sv a Denver steak? I tried cooking @132 for 4 hrs. Tasted great but was a little more chewy than anticipated. I dry brined overnight. Any suggestions?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here