Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's AWESOME when done with SV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
    So we all know you can do steak under SV and it can be good. But I"m not convinced it's head and shoulders above a regular reverse sear, a butter basted steak or one grilled over coals.
    FWIW, I haven't seen any SV aficionado state that a steak done SV is "head and shoulders" above any other method for cooking a steak. The advantages when doing steaks SV are a guaranteed doneness level from edge to edge and total flexibility as to when you want to serve without risking overcooking.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That's right by me!

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Right. I know. My point is that for steak it's JAT (Just Another Technique). But there are some things where I think it actually is noticeably better than other methods, i.e. the shrimp I mentioned. Esp if you're doing a lobster or shrimp roll, the combination of flavor intensity and perfect doneness is amazing.

People! Recipes! Share! (yes, I'm on my first coffee of the AM, why...?)

Ok more... To quote from the comment above...
    But there are some things where I think it actually is noticeably better than other methods, i.e. the shrimp I mentioned. Esp if you're doing a lobster or shrimp roll, the combination of flavor intensity and perfect doneness is amazing.
    So, yeah, SV is convenient etc... but I'm wondering where does it give you those OMG results?
    Last edited by rickgregory; February 29, 2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      As people have mentioned here already, lean white meats. You can do chicken breast 145-50 for super juicy but still safe. I havent achieved chicken breast as good any other way. Pork chops at 135 is another example.

For steak i only do cuts that need to be on the rarer side to avoid being tough. Denver steak at 130 then seared off is AMAZING.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. And chicken salad done like that is amazing.

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive also done venison loin SV then seared. Also really really good but i dont remember what temp i did it. 😣

Carrots are amazing in SV. Glazed carrots via SV are a staple on my thanksgiving table.

Boneless chicken breast for eating cold, esp for use in chicken salad, can’t be beat.

Sous vide egg bites (like the ones you get at Starbucks)

I also think pub style burgers kill it SV. You can get it cooked perfectly and still get a hard sear on it after without worrying about a raw center or overcooked exterior.

Italian sausages (if I’m not smoking them) are much better (and easier) SV compared to steaming/pan frying
    Last edited by shify; February 29, 2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Custards.

also, chicken, turkey, corn, rice, short ribs, pork shoulder, pork belly, beef chuck... so many things.

Comment

Scallops are incredible sous vide

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          That was going to be my recommendation. Mussels too - gets them just right.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Reaaallly... interesting. AS above, I love lobster and shrimp done SV and was wondering about scallops. Mussels, though EdF? I usually just steam those and clam in some aromatics. Hmm.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory The trick with mussels is to not overcook them. SV gets you there. A bit fussy but worth trying once to find out whether it's worth it for you. And they're so cheap compared to other shellfish.

Pork shoulder for pulled pork.

Comment

A few months ago, I did a duck breast using the Joule app. Absolutely delicious. Scored the fat, then seasoned overnight. After the SV, I shocked it in ice water. That night, got my cast iron screaming hot and put the meat in fat side down. By the time the fat rendered and crisped up, it was perfect on the inside and ready to serve. Found a recipe online for a blackberry, shallot, and thyme sauce that was very easy to make. It complimented the duck really well.

Comment

I love SV for soft boiled eggs. Perfect results every time.

Comment

As several others have mentioned, SV Corn on the cob is awesome.
              I like to take white corn, wrap it in cilantro at an angle, and cook for 30 to 40 minutes at 183. 2 ears per (narrow, 8 inch width) bag with a half stick of butter in each bag. The result is a butter and cilantro infused ear of corn that looks like a green-striped candy cane.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here