Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's AWESOME when done with SV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's AWESOME when done with SV?

So we all know you can do steak under SV and it can be good. But I"m not convinced it's head and shoulders above a regular reverse sear, a butter basted steak or one grilled over coals. It's certainly in the mix, but to me it's not aweome.

But the other night I was looking in the freezer because, well, I'd forgotten to get anything down so it could thaw. Hm... some tortellini and... frozen shrimp. So I tossed the shrimp, frozen, in a ziplock, added some shaoxing wine cooking wine a little homemade harissa and 2T of butter. 135F for 25 minutes... over the tortellini and..OMG. Perfectly done shrimp, tender, succulent flavored incredibly well.

SO, to me, shrimp and lobster are in the "SV makes this awesome" mix. Want a lobster roll? Do it SV with butter.

Other things... fresh, in season carrots. All of the carrot flavor is retained. I hear corn is amazing too.

What things do you do that go beyond good to awesome when they're done SV?

Carrots for texture perfection.

Tri-tip for tenderness perfection.

Cream Bruleé for just simply perfection.

Comment

With a young family like I have, it’s convenience for me. But I also like the precise cooking too! But the BEST is sous vide apples with butter and brown sugar and cinnamon. Find a recipe online and it’s REAL GOOD 😋

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Found it. Just ate lunch and starving already.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am really going to try this. I remember that someone posted an apple cinnamon recipe here once. Like always, I tried it, loved it - better yet my wife did, too. Then I forgot all about it.

Salmon (cover with salt and sugar for 20 mins. Rinse off. Bag and SV at 125 for 40 mins. Sear skin side in a hot cast iron pan for 30 sec-1 min. Sear flesh side for 10 secs. Serve.) Chicken breast. Pork chops.
      Last edited by Dewesq55; February 28, 2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        You have skills! I do really like salmon in the SV. I like it over fire, too. Two very different animals and I enjoy the option. What I have not once been able to do is to transfer the fish to a grill after SV. I can get it nicely onto the plate in one piece but anything more and it falls apart on me.

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 and Dewesq55 I tried salmon really early in my SV years, and it came out too perfect and fell apart (texture was incredible but I couldn’t even bring it out of the SV bag in one piece). I probably did it at 145 for something like 30-45 min. But, maybe I should have reduced it to 125? Maybe not would’ve fallen apart? THEN seared?

I'll second the creme brûlée and add asparagus. Sous Vide makes it easier to achieve a great steak, but for proteins it is outstanding on chicken

Comment

I'll add pork chops

Comment

Corn.

Comment

While it may sound a bit pedestrian, but SV, bone in, skin on, seared off chicken breasts are pretty awesome. I won't do them, nor am I allowed to, any other way.

Comment

• treesmacker
              treesmacker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, those are great - sometimes the bone pokes through the vacuum bag though. 😐

Medium rare short ribs 🤤

Comment

Hot water...

Comment

Lobster

Comment

Corn on the cob.

Sous Vide Que Boneless, skinless chicken breast.

Comment

Others have said it - the lean white meats do great in the bath. Carrots, butter and brown sugar are diggity good too!

I have not tried this, but my good friend says bacon in the SV then finished on the CI or oven is the best of both worlds. It takes some planning, but worth it he says.

As for steak, I SV and finish off in a CI and give them a butter basting. It’s pretty darn good! I can’t tell by how you wrote your post if you have tried SV with butter basting finish or not. If you haven’t, give it a try.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                      Polarbear777 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      SV and seared bacon isn’t better than slow roasting in the oven in my opinion. It does make breakfast super fast though so it’s useful for speed and it’s still better than straight cook in a pan.

My top three are:

1) Medium rare chuck roast

2) Brisket. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...brisket-recipe

3) The garlic and rosemary mashed potatoes from the anova site. https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/re...ashed-potatoes

Comment

Brussel sprouts. Any cheap ass, tough cut of beef done in the sous vide for an extended period of time. If done correctly, can come out like prime rib.

Comment

• rickgregory
                        rickgregory commented
                        Editing a comment
                        More about sprouts please...

• pkadare
                        pkadare commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nothing more that salt, pepper, and butter. Yummy.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here