Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to sous vide and need info/tips on tri-tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to sous vide and need info/tips on tri-tip

Hi all,
    Just got my Joule and I was wondering the best time/temp for a two pound tri-tip. I plan to sear it after the bath. Any other tips on when to season, what to add or not add, etc.... would be greatly appreciated. I am brand new to this so want to avoid rookie mistakes.

Thanks

Check this book out.

Comment

Also this:

And this from CaptainMike

I was, of course, tasked with grilling the tri tips for my nephew's graduation party. We had 7 roasts for a total of 19lbs and there was a Rec Tec 680 available for

Comment

I didn't know meathead wrote a book about it and I may check it out later. I was just looking for time and temp for a tri tip to cook soon. Also, some places say to season before and others say no to seasoning before the bath except for salt and pepper. I've seen the time from two hours all the way to twelve on the internet.

Comment

I do mine at anywhere from 126f to 129f for about 8 hours. That’s usually from frozen.

Comment

Personally I think the sweet spot is 10 to 12 hours in the bath at 131° and then a high temp sear. As far rubs go, I like Oak Ridge BBQ's Spogos and Carne Crosta.

Comment

I have done several for 10-12 hours at 131-134 and then pat dry and brush with Avacado Oil before a High Heat Sear. Be sure to slice across the grain. I feel it's best to dry brine for 12-24 hours ahead of the SV process. The previous posts tied to articles are all well worth reading. Best of luck--it will be wonderful!

Comment

Definitely read CaptainMike 's post above as posted by klflowers . I texted my buddy who considers himself a SV King (but that title is banter between us). He cooks tri-tip SV style at least twice a month and has been doing it for the last two years. He bought an Anova after I bought mine and he ran with it. He said he started cooking in the 132/133 range but has moved to 137/138. He says 8 hours is his preferred time. He does season before, pat dries and puts a bit more on before grilling. I know he sometimes ice shocks it, and other times he doesn't. He does not have a smoker - he finishes them on a gas grill.
                Last edited by tbob4; February 19, 2020, 03:59 PM. Reason: I accidentally wrote twice a week - he cooks them twice a month.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow you really like your steak well done. At 138 with a rest? That shoots it up to and past 140. That's a ruined piece of meat for my taste. But I do understand if you like it that way, go for it. I just don't see that as most folks ideal finish.

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Troutman - not me, my buddy. I texted him asking about his times and temps today. I know he does steaks at a much lower temp. Since he said he used to go at a lower temp and has moved up he must have found a sweet spot for tri-tip vs steak. My tri-tips are smoked and I don't temp them. I temp the smoker and feel the meat. I treat a tri-tip, a steak and a brisket differently. I am guessing he is trying to replicate the texture of a smoked tri-tip.

There are two theories of the tri tip sous vide, there's a 3 hour version and an 8-10 hour version. I've also heard folks go 24, but I don't really see the point. The three hour will have more chew. The 8 -10 will be more tender.

Post sous vide, shock and sear, or shock, ice and hot smoke.

With sous vide, as with everything, you need to start with your end in mind. If you want something more smokey, you set up for the smoker. If you want something more steaky... you hot sear. If you like it with some chew, short, if you want it more like a prime steak, longer.

As Norm King (the real SV King) says, put down the stop watch, and pinch the bag to see if it needs more time.

Comment

• Nate
                  Nate commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grilla's recipe for Santa Maria style Tri Tip is pretty good... I did a version of it and the wife loved it... however I didn't SV it because my schedule got jacked up.

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Tri Tips here in Chicago are pretty few and far between, so I'm never gonna get real good at em.

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gotta agree with PKB, 3-4 hours is always plenty for me. I sear over charcoal or propane at 600-700* on grill grates. If you go 10 then the proteins begin to weaken and yes it's more tender but I find it begins to take on a mushy mouth feel. But each to his own. I would definitely not go more than that.

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I’ve learned a lot just right here as always. I’m doing a hybrid cook since dinner must be served. Lol. Doing a 5.5 hour bath at 130f. I’ll then sear over coffee charcoal and serve. This time I won’t shock it.

next one I think I’ll low temp smoke then SV. Finally then sear it. That’s a lot of traveling around for the tri tip though. I usually smoke at 225 and then sear. All have been great but I’m curious if this will make it even better.

Comment

I have only cooked one tri tip, and I didn't SV it. If you change your mind about going that route, Troutman's method here is excellent.

Next to Picanha, the tri-tip roast or steak is probably my favorite cut of non-rib beef. A California favorite since the 1950's, it traces its origins back to the

Comment

I don't post my Tri-tip cooks here any longer because they are cooked SV and then seared with a torch, so no smoke, grill or any such. But here's a pic of my last tri-tip. This one was cooked at 129F and was prime grade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tt-lat-broc.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	804829

Comment

• Sfdrew28
                      Sfdrew28 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just picked up eight Prime of them. Had to special order but the difference is huge.

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good to see you posting Mark, hope all is well !!

• mgaretz
                      mgaretz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Getting better every day! Even did some Blasphemy Ribs a few days ago. (Check that thread for details.)

Okay...I did 130 for about five hours. Then seared over charcoal. Here’s what I’d change.
                    I’d Sous vide at about 125 for about 3-4 hours and then sear. I found after searing my meat was about 140. Still super tender but I like a bit rarer
                    I would only salt before Sous vide and then put finishing Santa Maria rub on after sear. The liquid in the bag took the spices off.
                    very happy with the texture. Not sure I’d go any longer than the five hours.

Overall I was very happy with the first attempt as most people would think it’s awesome but you know how us cooks can be about our own food.

the small cut up pieces are for my toddlers and not sure why two photos went sideways.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Sfdrew28; February 19, 2020, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Be careful with the sous vide temps below 129° or so, from a food safety standpoint. Modernist Cuisine recommends 131°, for example. Cook's Illustrated says this about that:

"We cook most food at or above 130°F/54.5°C to reduce risk of harmful bacterial growth
                      If cooking below 130°F/54.5°C, we sear meat before putting it in the water bath to kill surface bacteria."

You could flash chill the meat just before searing if you want it to stay more in the rare range.

Just a thought.

Kathryn
                      Last edited by fzxdoc; February 20, 2020, 07:16 AM.

• Sfdrew28
                      Sfdrew28 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you fzxdoc I was wondering about that.

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Shock before sear. That will eliminate overshooting your temp, and allow you to cook at a GAAS temp (generally accepted as safe... like 131).

Here's how I did it - I think you'll be thrilled with how great a sous vide tri-tip is. Good luck with it. Oh, those crocus are blooming again already...

Originally posted by treesmacker View Post
                    Sous Vide Tri Tip. Seven hours @ 133 degrees; lightly salted before bagging. After removal from bag sprinkled with Gibson's Steak seasoning and then seared on pellet grill with Grill Grates at 450. Measured grill Grates with infrared thermometer and it was about 500 degrees.
                    My son gave me an A+. My son in law said best Tri Tip he ever had. They might be a little biased, but I thoroughly enjoyed ti - just melt in the mouth good. My wife gave it thumbs up too. Unfortunalely, my daughter is vegetarian, so boy did she miss out.
                    And, my crocuses think it is time for "Show Us What You're Cooking - Spring"; beautiful spring like sunshine here in Southern Oregon today - finally!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190303_195129.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	645420Click image for larger version

Name:	20190303_195342.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	645421Click image for larger version

Name:	20190303_143138.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	645422Click image for larger version

Name:	20190303_143132.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	645423

Comment

• Sfdrew28
                      Sfdrew28 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      beautiful tri tip and flowers!

Interesting. I just follow the Joule App for steak 1.5 - 2 inches thick. I SV from 90 minutes to two hours never more.

Always comes out fantastic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here