Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting into Soux Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting into Soux Vide

I am strongly thinking of getting into Soux Vide. Need some advice from those of you who are already experienced. How big of container would you recommend for normal use? Do you prefer the plastic top or a silicon one? What other advice or recommendations? Thanks.

I use this:

and

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I use the same setup so +1. I also purchased the 22 Qt. to do brisket flats and larger roasts.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I picked this one because it takes as little as five quarts to use the circulator and I had read that using plastic is better than metal as it holds the heat better. I also like the hinged lid so I can add or remove without taking off the lid, plus I put the edge of the bag under the lid, so I don't need a clip.

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      I also use the same product that is made for Joule. It works great for my needs.
      However this is not mandatory a regular stock pot does work. I just found for 48 hour chucks I like the way it slows the evaporation.
      Last edited by hogdog6; February 6, 2020, 09:26 PM.

My condolences.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh boooooo

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      Next time I do a 3 day chuckie, I'll invite you over. I'm willing to bet that your tune changes.

I just use a 2 gallon or 5 gallon stainless steel stock pot, the half dozen times I have bothered with my Anova and sous vide. To be honestly, I find it underwhelming. Only think I've tried were steaks and pork loin. I think the pork loin benefitted from it more.

Edit: I didn’t mean to come across as a sous vide basher. It worked well for me several times to have a large number of steaks ready to sear and plate very quickly for a large dinner party after church, versus making folks wait an hour to eat. I do need to break it out and give it another chance, and try it on one of the tough cheap cuts it is famous for improving.
    Last edited by jfmorris; February 2, 2020, 08:24 PM.

Comment

It depends what you want to cook. For a lot of things you can simply use a regular pot with water. The size of the pot doesn't matter as long as the food fits, so you want something large enough fort the food but not a lot larger... larger just means more time to get it to temp and energy spend keeping it there.

For long, 8 hour+ cooks, a lid is a good idea (see 2nd link above). The lid is irrelevant for shorter cooks where evaporation won't be a real issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
        I just use a 2 gallon or 5 gallon stainless steel stock pot, the half dozen times I have bothered with my Anova and sous vide. To be honestly, I find it underwhelming. Only think I've tried were steaks and pork loin. I think the pork loin benefitted from it more.
        Those aren't, frankly, the foods that show off SV best. IN general, foods that benefit from being cooked to a precise window AND which are noticeably worse outside of that are the best. For example, chicken breast cooked to 150F makes great chicken salad. Very moist, etc. It's hard to nail that using other methods, very easy to do it using SV. Some veggies are amazing more flavorful in SV (Carrots.... omg). Eggs cooked to a precise doneness.

It's also very good for transforming tough cuts into tender ones with very long times.

Honestly, your comment is like saying "I dunno, I grilled some hot dogs and burgers. Don't see the point of high end grills..." SV is a tool and technique. Not a magic wand. Some people will do the kind of cooking where it is very useful, some won't. Same as smokers, etc.

PS: I'll point to what I usually do here for people just starting out https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...thod/sous-vide is a good overview of some SV recipes with a decent rationale for what they recommend the times and temps that they do.
        Last edited by rickgregory; February 2, 2020, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Rick, I didn’t mean to come across that way, and for the times I’ve used it, it was great - having a dozen steaks ready to quickly sear for a dinner party for example. I just prefer the smoke and flame of the longer BBQ experience if I can manage it. I do need to try that long tenderizing cook on a tough cut, as I do know it shines for that.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Well and it depends on what you cook. For steaks, I agree that flame is better. If someones doesn't cook the things that SV excels at... it's kind of useless. That's actually why I linked the SE recipe home page - if someone say "yeah, this stuff looks like things I want to cook" cool. IF it leaves them cold...
          Last edited by rickgregory; February 2, 2020, 08:39 PM.

So my setup came in the form of gifts.

I received;
        -Anova Precision bluetooth wifi etc...
        -Everie 12 qt rectangle container w: hardtop lid
        -Everie silicone lid
        -Everie weighted rack divider
        -Everie neoprene sleeve insulator

Also a torch and another torch with the searzaw hookup.

Mostly all of that was received as gifts... what I can tell you is prior to that I was using either a deep pot for short cooks and small cuts or a Yeti Roadie for longer cooks or big cuts...

Per the great advice above... I would recommend playing around for a while and then seeing what you really need. As mentioned above... the bigger the container the more water you have to heat and the more space it takes up. You won’t notice enough water evaporation or heat loss on a short cook to need to worry about the lid...

Honestly the best part of that rectangle container is it holds all my SV stuff when I’m not using it.

Comment

I prefer square to round shaped containers. Easier to keep the meat away from the circulator by using the corners. I believe I have a 12 quart polycarbonate cambro (plus a bigger 5 gallon one for dong big cooks, but can start with just a normal sized one). I've found it a pretty perfect size. My big one has a lid with a cutout for the specific circulator model I have, but normal one I just use ping pong balls.

1 and 2 gallon ziploc plastic freezer bags. I have a vacuum sealer but usually just use freezer bags (my vac seal model is annoying and used special bags that I never remember to order). No real problems in 4 years.

Ikea expandable pot lid organizer turned upside as a rack (Vareira).

Cast iron skillet 12". Essential.

I got a crappy torch, but literally have never used it.

Big binder clip.

And that's all you need.

Edit - Accidentally said 8 quart instead of 12 quart.
          Last edited by bkervick; February 3, 2020, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            The only reason I use a round tub is that I also use it for bread doughs, and it's better not to have corners for that.

I like the Lipavi brand sold on Amazon with the rack and lid: https://www.amazon.com/LIPAVI-Sous-V...s_sparkle_slot

I have 2 sizes. I use a cooking pot most of the time, but these containers are great for long cooks and larger or more pieces of meat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	81WyIYdz7OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	799111

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; February 3, 2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
            Hulagn1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have this exact same setup.

If you're just "strongly thinking" about trying it, look around the house for something you've already got. I had a 12qt stock pot, a 20qt brew kettle and a 28qt Coleman cooler. All three have been used a number of times and are serviceable. If you're going to buy something, I'd recommend the largest version of the containers fzxdoc suggested.

The largest version because, if you want to do something like a brisket you'll need the volume. I've used the cooler a number of times because I needed the volume.
          Last edited by johnec00; February 3, 2020, 08:23 AM. Reason: Added why the largest version.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3C5CCA3D-F8B0-4C0B-B49F-E97AEE361883.png
Views:	311
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	799297 I use the Sous vide supreme. It works great. Allows me one everything you need from vacuum sealer, bags and water oven. I use it all the time. Super on really fat steaks. Then swear on all sides on very hot grill. Turn frequently.

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              This was my first sous vide machine (though I have the larger model) and I use it all of the time! Love it.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I had a demi and it was a long struggle to embrace ICs, because the SVS tank worked so well, and was arguably easier to use.

Size limit was the only downside.

18 quart pot, and Omaha Steak styrofoam container with cutout in lid. Works for me.

Comment

I have a round twelve quart container and a couple round 6 or 8’s. And I have a 20 or 30 can cooler that I use for larger cooks. I’ve also used a 7qt enamel over cast iron crock... the magnet in the foot of the Joule makes it very easy to use with a metal pan.

Comment

Leave the sous vide for cooking, no matter how big the container, you shouldn't use it as a hot tub.

geez... sic getting into sous vide, bless your heart.

Comment

• JGo37
                  JGo37 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  that said, I did the Coleman stackable cooler conversion to a Dutch-kitchen lid and an upside-down pot lid organizer to rack down the food bags.

I'm really not into truck camping per se, but these truck camper YouTube videos caught my attention. There's a new popular model built for pickup truck beds called a Kimbo. In one of the guys early models he has a small sink that is fed by a small pump and a pressurized tank. For hot water he had this long narrow looking vessel screwed to the wall that also fed the sink. At one end he mounted an Anova SV circulator to heat the water to have hot and cold running water in his camper. Most people who don't know SV would not have any idea what the guy was doing.

So the moral of the story is, if you get tired of cooking with the thing, make hot water in your camper !!

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Slick!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here