Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide cooked coldsmoked salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200120_181320.jpg Views:	9 Size:	3.52 MB ID:	794682

The brine is 50/50 salt&sugar, sprinkle generously over the salmon and let it work for 1-2 hrs
    Rinse off the salmon with water after the brining is done.
    The salmon was coldsmoked for just about 1,5 hours.
    Sous Vide cooked at 55C/131F for one hour.

Link to the video;

Cucumber Salad:
    1 English cucumber (sliced)
    4 tbs water 2 tbs white vinegar (7%) or white wine vinegar
    0,5 ts salt
    1 tbs sugar
    White ground pepper to taste
    In a bowl, mix all liquids and salt-sugar and pepper and whisk until dissolved. Add the sliced cucumber and mix well.
    et it aside in the fridge for some while to let the flavors to develop.

Served with sourcream and potatoes.
    Last edited by Elton's BBQ; January 22, 2020, 01:56 PM. Reason: grammar fubar

I am allergic to fish or I would be headed home to make this now. Maybe I'll make it for the wife one day soon. I am going to make the cucumber salad though. I love me some cukes.

What temp did you coldsmoke at? I have never tried coldsmoking.

OK, 52.3F. I looked at the video.
    Last edited by klflowers; January 22, 2020, 01:15 PM. Reason: Answered my own question by paying attention and looking at the video link Elton posted.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Coldsmoking is typically done at lower than 77F

That is great. I was going to ask the Pit the million dollar question - How do you Sous Vide Grill salmon? I have tried as I might and it hasn't worked for me.

Other (non flaky) fish work out. At lower temps in the SV, the salmon still gets too flaky to transfer and flip on the BBQ even with a fish basket. Broiling the top works OK. I have tried flash cooling - still no real luck. I'm really not sure there is an advantage of SVQ with salmon but your method of Q-SV is intriguing. Thanks.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing your experience regarding SV salmon.
      And you are welcome brother!

So... a safety comment. Having the salmon at 50-65F for a couple of hours is pushing it a little. You obviously kill anything when you SV it, but if someone tries this I would not push the smoking phase past 90-120 minutes. Those temps are firmly in the danger zone.

Now... the light cure helps here too and I think you're fine in practice... but I wanted to mention all this for anyone who things longer smoke time would be better; it would be... for the bacteria.

Henrik - you mean grilling it after the SV step? I wouldn't. It's possible if you SV to a medium rare but I'd just broil it. In practice, you're not going to add much from a couple of minutes on the grill that you wont get under a broiler. Also, for fish, I often spread a little olive oil on the fish to help it release from the bag a bit easier.
    Last edited by rickgregory; January 22, 2020, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Im runnning on 55 celcius / 131F for one hour in the tub..
      Thanks for the heads-up on food safety rickgregory

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I know, hence the comment about the SV killing the bacteria. But the smoke phase before that is in the danger zone. The risk isnt the bacteria since those die during the SV bath, but any toxins that they produce. For a couple of hours? Meh, not a big deal esp since you lightly cure it which will inhibt growth.

My comment was more for anyone tempted to extend the smoke for several hours and to do it at those temps. THAT could be risky.

Cold smoking scares me, from a food safety viewpoint, although I know a lot of people do it.

I know Meathead does not recommend it at all: https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...ats-dont-do-it

Seeing this topic posted here on the Pit just 11 days ago helped reinforce my choice never to do it:
    https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...n-not-worth-it

I can't imagine that sous vide afterward would do much of anything to save the day if bad stuff got going in the cold smoke step.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; January 22, 2020, 04:43 PM.

Comment

However, this post did make me want to smoke the steelhead in the fridge and I found this recipe... https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/salmon-ochazuke

The steelhead is currently bathing in applewood smoke. MMMMMM.....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0386.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	795035 I cannot imagine salmon being any better than than my very old method. Salt / brown sugar / black pepper. (equal parts brown and salt, 10% pepper) Tightly vacuumed sealed overnight to mimic having a heavy weight upon it in the fridge overnight. (pre-saran type wrap before vacuum to avoid sucking moisture from salmon) Day of cook. Wash off salmon well. Pat dry. Leave at room temp while preparing smoker. Salmon is one of a very few foods that handles an attic fire. IE: don't worry about a heavy smoke fire. Smoke at 225Ëš for 2 - 3 hours. Internal temp anywhere from 145Ëš to 160Ëš and you will be loving life AND that salmon. One last thing. Save your $$. The cheaper "farm raised" is fattier than store bought "wild" and hence is much better tasting 😁👌👍👏
        Last edited by Greg A BigBillsFan; January 23, 2020, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman - Taku River king or bust... Seriously, you can have good sockeye, coho etc... it's just that unless they're cold water, they tend not to be as fatty. But yes, they can be really good. We don't get the Norwegian stuff here but I bet that's nice.

• Greg A BigBillsFan
          Greg A BigBillsFan commented
          Editing a comment
          Well rickgregory, because my retired boss, (who happens to be a female and has no relevance to this) goes Salmon fishing every summer in Alaska for the entire summer, I am the lucky recipient of much wild caught salmon. And it is certainly magnificent. My comment was directed at the available wild caught you can access at the average U.S. grocery store. At those average stores, I prefer the farm raised.Peace.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Greg A BigBillsFan - So. Jealous. And yeah, most supermarket stuff is... not as good.

First off Elton's BBQ I know you cold smoke salmon, you seem to like the technique. I do prefer to be a little more on the safe side so I myslf hot smoke. Be that as it may, you have a really nice plating. I especially love the cucumber salad.

But.....(and there's always a but ), I'm confused by the whole SV step. Why? Brine, smoke then do a fast grilling, something like that. I don't know what SV does for fish personally other than cook it. Like to hear your thought process.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          As you say Sous vide just warms up the salmon to my desired temperature.. And the method gives a much more moist result than i have ever had in the kitchen/on the grill/smoker.
          The reason i burn off the surface is that i want to have that maillard reaction, that gives a better exterior and flavorful result in my opinion. I also buy fresh high quality salmon from a local fish store (not supermarket/grocery stores) when i cook SV or coldsmoke. But i do understand your food safety concerns.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea I see your thought process. I tend to do that with chicken breasts, get them up to temp with SV then flash sear.

Regardless as I said in my comment I love Norwegian salmon and will be trying you cuc salad !!

If you need help to learn more about the sous vide method, here is a website with free generic templates, this company of experts has been working with HACCP for years:

We write HACCP Plans for restaurants and food manufacturers fast, and at the best price. Chat with our experts and request your free assessment today

We write HACCP Plans for restaurants and food manufacturers fast, and at the best price. Chat with our experts and request your free assessment today

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here