Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joule and Anova Sous Vide on Sale at Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joule and Anova Sous Vide on Sale at Amazon

Both units are on sale. My question is which do folks prefer? I am concerned about the Joule with respect to using an app to control. It may be a silly question, but if I leave the house, what happens?

Joule $159.96 1100 Watt
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8MMLBI...mazingribs--20

Anova $164 1000 Watt

Thanks for sharing! Edited to add our affiliate code, doesn't change any pricing, just gives us a penny or two per sale.

Comment

For my use, the WiFi and Bluetooth on these units really are simply fluff. You set them and leave them. As you know, they do not measure and report the actual temperature of the meat but simply heat the water and hold ii to the prescribed temperature.

I would prefer the Annova -
      - on unit controls easy to see and adjust
      - You can disassemble it for easy cleaning
      - The clamping to your reservoir seems far superior with this unit as compared to the Joule.

Seems like the big selling point of the Joule is its small size. But its clamping system seems inadequate to me unless you are using a reservoir designed for it. I wouldn't want this thing to slip and submerge into a pot or bath.

For me I would be looking for a simpler unit sans WIFI. There are several out there, 800W Instapot as an example.

Comment

I have an Anova and I am satisfied with it. Never used a Joule so I can’t speak to it.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Same.

I have the Anova WiFi, paid around $111.95 for it online at Amazon on Black Friday a couple of years ago, so they do go on sale for better pricing than you are seeing today.

I think the Wifi is more than just fluff, as it lets you control it from your phone remotely. Something my son in law does with his, which I suggested, is to setup an ice bath in his cooking container before he leaves for work in the morning, and then he remotely initiates the cook some time after lunch. Contrary to popular opinion, you don't want to SV most cuts of meat for 10-12 hours, as the consistency of the meat changes. Anova also has an ice bath feature I believe, where once the water is above 40F for a certain period of time, it will start cooking on its own at a selected temperature.

All that said, my wife doesn't like steaks and things I make with the SV as much as ones I cook entirely on the grill. I've got two NY strips thawing out right now, and thought about SV, but will just toss them on the grill instead. When I will use the SV for steaks is if I have 8 to 12 folks coming for dinner, and want to save time. I will do the SV for 2 hours at 130, then pull the steaks, and all I have to do is season and sear when it is dinner time. Much quicker than trying to reverse sear 10 steaks on the kettle.

Comment

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember that sale; still kicking myself for not buying one. I have not seen them close to that for a while.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Got my Anova WiFi for $99 on amazon like 3 years ago. Sill going Strong !!!

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          Couldn’t agree more.

I have a Joule and really like it. I use it 2-3 times per week. I have no issues clipping it to the container. There is also a magnet on the bottom so it will secure itself to the bottom of steel pans. I use a cambro as my vessel and use regular zip lock bags to put the food in and submerge.

I love how easy the App is to use. Never had an issue. Pick a protein pick a temp pick a time. Simple. They have videos to show you what the doneness will look like.

As far as turning it on and leaving, it keeps cooking while you are gone and the timer still counts down. Once you get home pull up the app and it syncs right up. I start the Joule add the food then go pick my kids up at daycare. The food cooks and I don't have to worry about overshooting temps.

I get home I start the grill, fix up the sides, then sear the protein. Very easy.

I use these:

Rubbermaid Commercial Products Plastic Space Saving Square Food Storage Container For Kitchen/Sous Vide/Food Prep, 12 Quart, Clear

SO-VIDA Sous Vide Container Insulated Sleeve For The Rubbermaid 12 Quart

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I use it the same way, 2-3 times a week, except for the picking up the kids at daycare part. The Joule with its app makes sous vide virtually foolproof, ScottyC13 .

Kathryn

Here's a video on Sous Vide showcasing the Joule.

Comment

I have the Anova.
          One of the biggest selling points for me was the ability to set it ON THE MACHINE.
          Don't get me wrong, I am "fully connected" and my house is 90% smart.
          That said, having to use an app to do anything vs wanting to use an app is a big thing.
          It's just so simple to dial up what I want/need and not even have to worry about making sure that it's connected.
          If it failed for some reason, I'd get another one that same day.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point, and the way I tend to use by Anova most. That said... I don't think I've used it in a year?

Thanks all for the comments and advice.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here