Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Joule for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Joule for Christmas

My wife surprised me with a Joule for Christmas this year, I have read a lot on this site and thought I knew what I was getting , but this device blew me away last night. Since I got the Joule I made some flank steak, soft boiled eggs, and also some chicken breast. I was very happy with all. Then I tried a Check roast. I used the Joule instructions with an 18 hour cook. The kids had a swim meet so it sat at 139 for an extra 2 hours until we got home. Then out of the bath, dried off...Coated with Olive Oil, S&P then onto a 400deg gas grill to sear.

I was speechless....I served up a fork tender chuck roast that was Medium Rare. We have all had delicious fork tender chuck roast, but Medium, blankin', rare!!! Incredible. I am sold on this device.

I want to thank Troutman , Potkettleblack , and fzxdoc . your information on Sous Vide was invaluable both for purchase and using. Also I have read Potkettleblack 's posts that temp is doneness and time is tenderness, but until I used this device I did not get it.
    Attached Files

You're very welcome, pjlstrat . I've gotten more great info on sous vide here than I've given; nonetheless I'm happy that some of my posts helped with the choice of a Joule. You sure won't regret it.

I made that Joule chuck roast recipe too, and I agree--the results are amazing--so boldly beefy and tender. I like the simplicity of having everything at my fingertips, stepwise, on the Joule phone app so I don't have to google a dozen sites every time I want to sous vide something new. It's a great little device, for sure. Just wait until you make that corn-off-the-cob Joule recipe--I don't think I've eaten any better fresh corn.

And wasn't it great that the meat wasn't the boss of you when you had to delay pulling it out of the water bath because of the kids' swim meet. It just patiently waited for you until you were ready to finish with the sear. That's one of the best things that I like about sous vide--I don't feel pressured by the meat like I do for any other sort of prep.
    That chuck roast that you made is what I call company-worthy. What a great photo. Congrats.

Kathryn

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree 100% fzxdoc , The fact that the meat is not the boss is a Game Changer!!! Normally I would have been stressing at the swim meet, rushing my family to get home so I don's ruin supper (again!). Can not wait to try the corn!!! Thanks again

Outstanding cook! I too was impressed with the chuck roast I did for three days! I also did a high temp chuckie for 18 hours and both were amazing.

Im thinking I will SV a rib roast for Christmas dinner this coming year.

Thanks for sharing your excellent Result! Your finished, seared roast almost looks like a filet! The shape and such!
    Last edited by barelfly; January 5, 2020, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Outstanding!!! You will really enjoy the corn, and if you like asparagus, try some of that. It is the only way I'll cook asparagus now - it comes out perfect every time. No more soggy, limp spears!

Comment

SV is, Dare I say it, a "game-changer" in a busy cooks life, and it goes well with grilling! Great job!

Comment

My favorite part of sous vide cooking is taking a more difficult cut of meat to cook, and turning it into something amazing. The added benefit is that those cuts are usually really cheap! My wife's favorite is a flat iron that I SV, then a quick sear. It ends up tender like filet, but flavorful like a rib eye. And it's only around $7/lb!

Comment

QVQ medium rare chuck roasts are the only way I cook them these days. Great job and welcome to the world of sous vide ! It's good to know you're taking a 'bath' every once in a while !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	roast 05.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	787510

Comment

Outstanding results! I find I'm cooking things with via SV more and more often. It really is a game changer, and especially when you get some of the more expensive things (wagyu, etc).

Comment

Such a great little device. I need to use mine more

Comment

Great write up. I love my Joule. Especially SVQ chucks. "My favorite meal". I've had some not make it off the cutting board to the plate.
                  Last edited by hogdog6; January 6, 2020, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Congrats. Welcome to the club.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here