Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Sous Vide pork loin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Sous Vide pork loin

I have a pork loin I would like to try and sous vide. The recipe says 7 hours based on thickness. My question is does the time change if I cut the loin into two pieces? Still same width just half the length.

I would use the smaller dimension as a guide, so if the length of each of the two pieces measure less than diameter, use that as a guide.

Comment

Recommended sous vide times from my Joule app are based on the thickness. You can indeed cut a large pork loin in half and use the same recommended sous vide time. I did that with a whole beef tenderloin roast at my daughter's home for NYE (4 lbs cut to two 2 lb pieces to fit into the only available large pot) and it turned out perfectly.

I learned on this topic that 135° is a great temp for pork chops, since by the time I give it a gentle sear it's up to 140° and perfectly juicy.

I sous vide pork loin roasts at 140° since giving them a quick sear (gentle=browned lightly) does not raise the internal temp much if at all, due to their mass. FWIW, the Joule app recommends 144° for pork loin.

Just to be clear: I'm speaking of pork loin roasts, 3 lbs or more, not skinny little pork tenderloins, 1 lb or less.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; January 4, 2020, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I second doing the pork loins (or half loins) at 140F in the sous vide, then searing.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Plus 1 on this. Sous vide should be times based on thickness, not weight or length.

Like fzxdoc said, it is more about thickness.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats what she said?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly. grantgallagher

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker if there is one thing outside the fathoms of cooking knowledge i have learned from this forum its that i am definitely not the only grown man 10 year old at heart, lol

I just did a couple skinny pork tenderloins last night. I planned on SV'ing it at 140 for 2 hours, but I had to leave the house and it ended up being in the bath for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I started out with the goal of doing this: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...n-salad-108103 per a post from Jim White but it morphed into a completely different animal. I used the rub in the recipe before the SV, SV for ~2 1/2 hours, cooled off in an ice bath, seared in CI, then glazed with some Pioneer Woman Apple and Brown Sugar BBQ sauce (https://thepioneerwoman.com/product_...gar-bbq-sauce/) and put under the broiler for a few minutes. In retrospect, I should have skipped the sear part and just ice bathed it and glazed. It ended up a little over - about 150 when it was all said and done. Tasty though.

This is the guide I used, but again these were tenderloins and not a larger pork loin: https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/...enderloin.html

Comment

Pork tenderloins are pretty lean so I’m not sure how much more tender they become in the Sous Vide machine. I have done it but I think if you reverse sear like a steak you get a Smokey flavor by slow cooking on the low heat side. Then sear them for the crust. Just my new preference.

Comment

My go-to for 2-3 lb boneless pork loin roasts is 3 hrs at 137 F. Then sear. 7 hrs seems like a long time even for the larger roasts.

Comment

I agree, 7 hours seems way longer than necessary. I’d do them for 3 hours.

Comment

What theroc and Red Man said.

3 hours at 135 to 140 is good for a 3 inch diameter 3 to 4 lb pork loin roast.

Kathryn

Comment

Yeah, not sure what I was looking at. when I saw 7 hours. I did it the shorter time. I did it at 144 which is what the Joule app recommended. Don't do that. It was too done.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, this is one of the few times that I don't go with the Joule recommendation and keep the water temp at 135 or 140 for the Joule recommended time of 3-4 hours. Pork really doesn't like getting much above 140. I like 135 best for smaller cuts so that with searing it gets up to 140. But for loin, 140 works well because the fast light sear doesn't raise the core temp much. Nice and juicy at 140°.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; January 17, 2020, 08:03 AM.

Here's what I've done with pork loin:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	792264

Comment

This is my first time, please be gentle! Got a Joule for a Christmas present and using it tonight first time on a 4.2 lb. boneless pork loin. I tied it up to make it pretty and will be using your advice to SV at 140* for 4 hours. Planning on ice bath and then refrigerate until tomorrow evening when I will put it on the Weber to add smoke and bring up to 120* IT. I'm following the AR recipe for seasoning, MHMD rub. Wish me luck! I'll post how it turned out.

Comment

• RichieB
                    RichieB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're on track for a great cook. Pictures please.

Oh, and what time should I be there. I'll bring some wine to pair with our pork loin. 🐖🐷😂
                    Last edited by RichieB; January 23, 2020, 07:23 PM.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like a plan. Have fun with it, and let us know how it turns out.

Kathryn

Please excuse the late response. Everything went well until the final bake/browning process in the Weber. I feel asleep on the sofa without setting the IT alarm! When I realized what had happened, the IT was at 155* CRAP! I pulled the roast and let it sit for about 15 minutes while Mrs. Eye prepared a red cabbage with apple side dish. Expecting the worst, I cut into the meat for serving and it was the juiciest piece of pork that I have ever seen. Amazing! It even tasted juicy! Phew! I got lucky with this one. The time for the sous vide process was well worth it. Sorry, no pics as I was more than a little angry with myself for being an idiot.

Comment

• Skip
                    Skip commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good job! Sometimes things work out in spite of ourselves. It's happened to all of us. Congrats on a wonderful cook!

The Anova website recommends 2.5 hours at 137 for a five pound pork loin. The extra time doesn't hurt just to be safe, but everybody is right about keeping it at or below 140. I like the idea of chilling and bringing it back up in the kettle. Does the surface crisp up much by the time the temp hits 125-130?

Comment

Adding to the discussion of pork. I cooked these pork chops last night. Sous vide with a little salt at 135F for 2 hours. Then seasoned and put them on my BGE at 700F for a couple of minutes on each side. Results were the best chops ever. Of course this was my first time doing them myself. Was a little concerned about the rarer section, but was over 140 and right next to the bone.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks perfect. Congrats!

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here