Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV bags that are reusable or recyclable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AmosMoses01
    commented on 's reply
    ComfortablyNumb you're probably on to something there with garbage bags. A lot of this follows money. A bunch of people are now using the "shop for me" services or the "online purchase and pick up" services the grocery stores are offering. They all seem to use plastic bags, at least last time I looked. 😂

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    AmosMoses01 I noticed how some cities are banning plastic and charging to get a paper bag. At ten to twenty cents per bag most will probably start using reusable bags. Makes me wonder if they will ever go after trash can liners. Growing up we didn't have those, you put garbage in the bin and hosed it out when it got bad. But wait, that uses water! Plastic in landfills or water down the gutter, oh dear, whatever shall we do? ;-)

• AmosMoses01
    commented on 's reply
    I recall all of this stuff, and the frustrations that arise. Around here, several cities have banned plastic bags, and it resulted in much more use of paper bags, which as y'all point out was considered evil in the past, but now not-so-much. Some of us have reusable grocery bags we take with us, but those are few and far between. Honestly, the dang plastic bags have gotten so thin over the years that this is a good thing for me since I don't have "plastic grocery bag blowouts" anymore.

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    rickgregory If it helps, my comment wasn't directed at you, just a comment in general about the subject at hand. That said, I'll offer an apology if you felt attacked or belittled.

• Nate
    commented on 's reply
    rickgregory , sigh... I wasn’t trying to be condescending... I did my best to offer some sort of answer with the information you provided. I didn’t know you had been SVing longer than most everyone in the pit or that there were other motives for your question. I just went with what you gave us. I will try to remember not to respond to your posts from now on.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    Interesting. I'd seen another page on their site claiming they weren't. I'll look into it more. Thanks for the link.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    Sigh... Try not to condescend, people. I know I don't NEED a vac sealer to SV. It's very likely I've been using SV longer than most on here. But I use one for a few reasons:

1) I often buy meat, season, seal and freeze, SVing from frozen.
    2) I do long cooks sometimes
    3) Even on medium cooks, I trust a sealed bag more.

If you don't have anything helpful to say, please skip commenting further, ok?
    Last edited by rickgregory; January 4, 2020, 12:08 PM.

• shify
    commented on 's reply
    I only vacuum seal when doing long, overnight cooks. For shorter cooks I don’t even seal, just dunk and fold the open end over the top of the pop and then use a binder clip to keep it in place.

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    It's funny how people think they need a vac sealer to sous vide in spite of all the articles on using zip lock bags. I have a vac sealer because I store a lot of food. That I can use it for sous vide is a side bonus.

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    Nate I sure do, and I may live long enough to see the push from plastic to bring your own reusable one to the store, which has already started. The legislative movement to get rid of plastic bags is underway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-..._United_States

• Nate
    commented on 's reply
    So you remember the push from paper bags to plastic when paper bags became the evilest thing in the world because it was killing the forest to make all of those bags... and plastic was the earth friendlier option.... now plastic bags are the devil but nobody will stop using them. Lol

• Nate
    replied
    Why are you so concerned with vac sealing?

Just use the water displacement method.

I don’t have a vac sealer and am still able to SV just fine using it.

My wife got me a set of the bags for Christmas but I haven’t used them yet to be able to give you a solid review.

As far as recycling... I recycle what I can... what bothers me more is just the having to spend more money to cook something by constantly having to buy bags if you SV a lot.

Leave a comment:

• ComfortablyNumb
    replied
    rickgregory I find the recycling movement a bit fascinating. I'm old enough to remember the days before recycling, in fact days when you kept a 55 gallon drum out back and burned your trash. The only thing that got recycled was soda bottles, because you got refunded the deposit when you brought them back to the store so they could be sent back and re-filled. Then along came the doomsdayers saying we would run out of landfill and we had to recycle to save the earth. At first it was just a gentle prod that eventually became fully mandated with multiple bins to put at the curb for collection. Then reality hit, recycling costs a lot of money. Bit by bit, less and less things became recyclable, not because they couldn't be recycled, but because of the cost. I was pissed when they stopped taking glass. And now the local news does stories on what should be recycled and show them separating out the 'garbage', which is recyclable material they don't recycle anymore. So it isn't that the sous vide bags can't be recycled, it's that they don't want to.

Unfortunately humans don't learn from their mistakes. Before plastic packaging was minimal with less waste.Things were sold in bulk, or came in wooden boxes or glass jars. People would re-use them. We aren't smart enough to go back, instead we'll talk about saving the earth while wasting resources. So let's just eat, drink, and be merry and let future generations deal with the results of our excess.
    Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; January 4, 2020, 05:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    I use Foodsaver bags and they are recyclable in my town.
    https://www.foodsaver.ca/en_CA/servi...faq-Q-A-3.html
    Last edited by pkadare; January 4, 2020, 12:38 AM.

• rickgregory
    replied
    Thunder - yeah, but they aren't vacuum sealable.

Comfortably and Randy - no, I'm not looking to reUSE them, I'd like to recycle them, like I can with other plastics.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Grills Trek smoker

Green Mountain Grills Trek smoker

Green Mountain’s portable Trek Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it’s also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Trek from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker