Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV bags that are reusable or recyclable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV bags that are reusable or recyclable?

This is kind of an SV question... while not everything I vacuum seal is bound for the SV a lot is and I really kind of hate just tossing a lot of plastic in the garbage. Sure, what I do individually isn't going to change the environment materially, but.... I like to be responsible when I can.

Most of the bags that say they're reusable seem to have compromises (most aren't really good for vacuum sealing, they're basically reusable ziplock bags). Does anyone know of bags that can be recycled? (Foodsaver says there cannot)

Are you asking If we can clean them and use them again? I've wondered the same. If any one has an answer to that question as well.

Comment

Considering you are putting raw meat in the bag and letting it cook in it I can't see what you want to use it for afterwards. The bags are quite messy after their use, you'll have meat juice and fat running out. The only use I could see is to put the bones in before putting it in the garbage bin.

Comment

Tons of reusable silicone bags on amazon. Just do a search there.

Comment

Thunder - yeah, but they aren't vacuum sealable.

Comfortably and Randy - no, I'm not looking to reUSE them, I'd like to recycle them, like I can with other plastics.

Comment

rickgregory I find the recycling movement a bit fascinating. I'm old enough to remember the days before recycling, in fact days when you kept a 55 gallon drum out back and burned your trash. The only thing that got recycled was soda bottles, because you got refunded the deposit when you brought them back to the store so they could be sent back and re-filled. Then along came the doomsdayers saying we would run out of landfill and we had to recycle to save the earth. At first it was just a gentle prod that eventually became fully mandated with multiple bins to put at the curb for collection. Then reality hit, recycling costs a lot of money. Bit by bit, less and less things became recyclable, not because they couldn't be recycled, but because of the cost. I was pissed when they stopped taking glass. And now the local news does stories on what should be recycled and show them separating out the 'garbage', which is recyclable material they don't recycle anymore. So it isn't that the sous vide bags can't be recycled, it's that they don't want to.

Unfortunately humans don't learn from their mistakes. Before plastic packaging was minimal with less waste.Things were sold in bulk, or came in wooden boxes or glass jars. People would re-use them. We aren't smart enough to go back, instead we'll talk about saving the earth while wasting resources. So let's just eat, drink, and be merry and let future generations deal with the results of our excess.
          Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; January 4, 2020, 05:34 AM.

Comment

• AmosMoses01
            AmosMoses01 commented
            Editing a comment
            I recall all of this stuff, and the frustrations that arise. Around here, several cities have banned plastic bags, and it resulted in much more use of paper bags, which as y'all point out was considered evil in the past, but now not-so-much. Some of us have reusable grocery bags we take with us, but those are few and far between. Honestly, the dang plastic bags have gotten so thin over the years that this is a good thing for me since I don't have "plastic grocery bag blowouts" anymore.

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            AmosMoses01 I noticed how some cities are banning plastic and charging to get a paper bag. At ten to twenty cents per bag most will probably start using reusable bags. Makes me wonder if they will ever go after trash can liners. Growing up we didn't have those, you put garbage in the bin and hosed it out when it got bad. But wait, that uses water! Plastic in landfills or water down the gutter, oh dear, whatever shall we do? ;-)

• AmosMoses01
            AmosMoses01 commented
            Editing a comment
            ComfortablyNumb you're probably on to something there with garbage bags. A lot of this follows money. A bunch of people are now using the "shop for me" services or the "online purchase and pick up" services the grocery stores are offering. They all seem to use plastic bags, at least last time I looked. 😂

Why are you so concerned with vac sealing?

Just use the water displacement method.

I don’t have a vac sealer and am still able to SV just fine using it.

My wife got me a set of the bags for Christmas but I haven’t used them yet to be able to give you a solid review.

As far as recycling... I recycle what I can... what bothers me more is just the having to spend more money to cook something by constantly having to buy bags if you SV a lot.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Sigh... Try not to condescend, people. I know I don't NEED a vac sealer to SV. It's very likely I've been using SV longer than most on here. But I use one for a few reasons:

1) I often buy meat, season, seal and freeze, SVing from frozen.
            2) I do long cooks sometimes
            3) Even on medium cooks, I trust a sealed bag more.

If you don't have anything helpful to say, please skip commenting further, ok?
            Last edited by rickgregory; January 4, 2020, 12:08 PM.

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            rickgregory , sigh... I wasn’t trying to be condescending... I did my best to offer some sort of answer with the information you provided. I didn’t know you had been SVing longer than most everyone in the pit or that there were other motives for your question. I just went with what you gave us. I will try to remember not to respond to your posts from now on.

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            rickgregory If it helps, my comment wasn't directed at you, just a comment in general about the subject at hand. That said, I'll offer an apology if you felt attacked or belittled.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here