Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Resource?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Resource?

Does anyone have a book or other resource they can recommend. There are a lot of great videos out there, and I''m enjoying the posts in this section, but I feel like I'm missing a solid foundation and I'm trying to piece it together.

Check this one

Comment

+1 on Elton's BBQ recommendation. Another that I have been eyeing because I am a fan of America's Test Kitchen is their sous vide book:

Sous Vide for Everybody The Easy, Foolproof Cooking Technique That’s Sweeping the World

I am looking at the Kindle version on Amazon, it is $12.99 right now.

Comment

This guy is the Meathead/Kenji/Alton of sous vide.

Comment

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          Also +1 on Baldwin. You don’t really need the book as most of the info is on the site. He also consults with ChefSteps.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          mgaretz, I am a book junkie, so I would like to have the book, but not 88 dollars worth.

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          @kflowers - it appears to still be available from the Sous Vide Supreme web site. I know the link from Baldwin's site gives a 404 but a quick google turned it up - https://sousvidesupreme.com/products...-cook-cookbook $24.95.

These are great! Thank you so much!

Comment

Joule's website ChefSteps is also and excellent choice. They take a lot of the guesswork out of time versus temperature.

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Comment

• shify
            shify commented
            Editing a comment
            I find a lot of the chefstep recipes to be wonky in terms of time and temp. They seem to prefer higher temps and shorter times than most others. That being said their app does have variety in time/temp for most recipes but just seems a bit off to me. But there are a few recipes I like on their app

• daggio
            daggio commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 for ChefSteps

They are offering $20 off their Studio Pass https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-december-only
            Last edited by daggio; December 31, 2019, 08:56 AM. Reason: Added discount...

Although a bit esoteric for me, Kosher Dosher is another really good resource for sous vide cooking;

Sous-Vide the Culinary Innovation that has captured the heart and Souls of Foodies.

Comment

Chefsteps and Serious Eats are wonderful.

Here are two more, general topic, sous vide resources that haven't been mentioned:
            Sous vide cooks at high-precision low temperatures ensuring even cooking from edge to edge, to desired doneness, maintaining moisture. Sous vide allows you to conveniently serve food when you are ready.

And since sous vide eggs are always popular, I'm mentioning this one as well
            The main advantage of sous vide cooking is control . With a constant temperature water bath, you greatly decrease the danger of overcooking your fo

Comment

Got one for xmas and this post interested me. And as usual now I'm in OVER load.
              Note to self: Just sit down, calm down and start reading!

Comment

Like ofelles I got an Anova for Christmas, the one bundled with the Anova vacuum sealer. Definitely have a ton of reading and experimenting to do. I did a first test run with carrots to make sure it worked, and was pleased with the results. Going to be a fun 2020 learning the new toy! These resources will definitely be helpful!
                Last edited by AmosMoses01; December 30, 2019, 06:20 PM. Reason: Didn't finish my thoughts before clicking...

Comment

I'd start with the SE link above and then try a few things. Some of SV is pretty much agreed on (it's great for eggs, some veggies, etc) and some is divisive, e.g. whether SV steaks are ok or not. A knock on the Serious Eats stuff is that they test fairly wide temp ranges, say from 130 to 170 in 5 degree increments. Personally, this doesn't bother me since there are only a relative handful of things where you really need to worry about the differences between, say, 150 and 152F.

Comment

Jason Logsdon's stuff at https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com is a good resource as well.

Comment

I have an informative PDF from Codlo sous vide. I don’t remember how I cam across it but it’s a wealth of info to start out with. A google search provides a few links that say it’s a free download.

But it provides good info on all things SV, recipes, safety and such. I enjoyed having it when I first started with SV.

Serious Eats is my other go to site.

Comment

It's interesting that the title is Sous Vide Resource, when one of my favorite sites is:

Norm King has been doing this stuff in restaurant and home setting for 30+ years. Good stuff.

Seconding Kosher Dosher, especially for pastrami, but the man is a scientist and the mensch.

Also ChefSteps.

I like Serious Eats, but I don't think Kenji is the best Sous Vide guy out there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here