Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QVQ question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QVQ question...

Trying to QVQ some pastrami. Smoked it for a few hours, then was going to SV it, then finish on the weber. My question is, if I smoked it to 165 degrees internal temp, how long would I want to SV it? I plan on finishing it on the weber just to firm up the bark. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
    Cal

Welcome to the pit!

It really is a preference of tenderness so you could pinch the pastrami as you go to see if it’s where you want. But here’s an article from the pit on SV for final. David Parrish went 4 hours at 195* after his smoke.

You can can read through it here if you would like.

e joy and let us know how it goes.

Comment

I got this from a recipe that @ABCDave posted a while back.

Here is the last key difference. I didn't steam the meat. Dr. Blonder let me in on a little secret, which I'm now sharing with you and only you (shhhhh). Sous Vide the meat at 195 F for 4 hours. It makes the meat even more tender than steaming and it's not quite as bad on the bark.

Comment

Thanks for the insight gentleman

Comment

Having cooked dozens of QVQ briskets and pastrami’s, I’m convinced that bringing your temps to traditional high levels tends to dry out the end product. Consider a much lower temp gradient avoiding ever surpassing the medium rare 135* mark. Here is the best post outlining this method. There are others, but I find a much better result going this route. Good luck !!

“Two-Week QVQ Pastrami” A: 12lb packer cured into corned beef, 5-7 days (use Blonder wet cure calculator or recipe from “Serious Eats”. https://amazingribs.

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            There you go....I knew I forgot something. Great to have to different ways to experiment with and find what works best for you! Troutman always has good stuff to share!

Pastrami turned out good. Thanks for all of the tips. It was incredibly moist and tender. The bark could have been better, but it was decent. The rub stayed on for the most part. Overall, it was a success. Thanks again...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here