Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I have done differently - SVQ T-Bone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I have done differently - SVQ T-Bone

Yesterday I decided I wanted to make steak for dinner, but all my steaks were frozen. So, I decided to try the sous vide again. I use it occasionally, but haven't been overly impressed to date. This was the same. I took 2 frozen T-Bones (1.9 lbs/each approx 1.5" thick), tried to vacuum seal, but FoodSaver wouldn't work, so I used water displacement method to put them in ziploc bags. Threw in bath for about 2 hours at 134. After 2 hours, threw them into an ice bath for about 15-20 minutes.

When this was all done, pulled them, patted them dry, seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning and threw them on the pellet grill about 200 degrees until they got to about 125 degrees again. Immediately tossed them on the gasser running about 550 to sear them up. They looked cook and tasted just fine. However, they were no more tender than my usually reverse sear and I felt slightly less flavorful.

What did I miss in the process? Do they need to go 3-4 hours (especially when frozen)? Is there something else? I throw on a couple pics here in a bit, but gotta switch over to iPad for that.
    Attached Files

Your results look great.

Time = tenderness with SV. When I SV steaks, especially frozen, I usually go 1.5 hours, up to 2 hours if they are thicker cuts. I have not experimented with longer bath time for steaks.

I will usually go with a lower bath temp though, usually 124*. I have used an ice bath to chill and then went to either the gasser, WEBER or even the cast iron to finish. The finish for me is based on time that I have available. More times than not, I go with the cast iron to finish because I like the way it comes out. This will allow me to get to my finish temp of right around 135 or so after carryover.

thats the biggest difference I see in how you went, but it may not play much of a part in results. But try a lower bath temp next time and see how that works with your same finishing technique. Only change one thing each cook and see what brings you your personal favorite.

Hope that helps. Others will chime in and provide some tips as well.
    Last edited by barelfly; November 25, 2019, 01:20 PM.

Comment

the first hour is thawing them out, I think. So subtract that hour, more or less, because it doesn't "count" as cooking (I am not definite on this, so I could be very wrong).

If you want them really tender, as barelfly said, time = tenderness.

Why the time to bring them back to 125 before searing? I usually just shock and then sear. They are plenty warm through, IMO. Or was it just for the smoke flavor?

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        The intent for the smoke was flavor as I haven't been thrilled with just bathed and seared steaks.

• parkerj2
        parkerj2 commented
        Editing a comment
        glitchy agreed. I only ever SV steak if its frozen and i forgot to thaw it. I typically save the SV for cheap cuts or chicken confit.

My Joule calculator says for frozen that thickness and at that temp, 2 hours 15 minutes is the minimum. Then add an hour if you please. I always add extra SV time, since I never know how tender a steak will be, even when it's nicely marbled. Plus the extra time gives me a chance to get my searing station set up a bit better before pulling the steak from the bath. I'm not that big on chilling a large steak like that especially when it sears in 1 minute or less per side.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; November 25, 2019, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I'm with Kathryn, there's no need to take the steak out of the SV bath, chill it in ice, then immediately waste a lot of energy getting it back up to temp all over again. Whether or not that affects the taste is debatable. Next time take the steak from the bath and sear it right away on your gasser. You really want to develop that maillard reaction in your crust as quickly as possible to avoid overcooking.

Comment

I’ve tried the bath straight to sear thing probably a dozen times. Tried gasser, cast iron skillet, charcoal, foreman grill (don’t judge me for not grilling during blizzards). Always get the same result, a perfectly cooked steak with no banding, but bland on flavor compared to a traditional hot n fast or reverse sear. That was the whole driver behind this extended process and chilling before smoking. I wasn’t worried about wasted energy, I wanted the perfect steak, more tender than normal with equal flavor to just reverse searing.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Well then stick with what works for you !! I've abandoned methods for others, it's all about the end result right? The package does not make the product.

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Right, I’m just trying hard to figure out what the craze is about? I get it would be more tender had I probably left it in longer, like maybe 3 hours since frozen, but how do you get the taste? Or is it a trade, tender for some flavor. Do more people use a board sauce with sous vide steaks? Just feel like I’m missing something since circulators are still selling like hot cakes.

I just thought of something. I know 1.5" is considered the perfect steak thickness but I personally like my steaks thick, at least 2" sometimes 3". What that does for me is it gives me more slop room to get the steak right. By default it has to stay in the bath longer and is more capable of taking a longer sear thus a little more forgiving. Bottom line, try a thicker cut of meat !!

Comment

I am as sous vide as it gets on steaks but for grins I went straight from the freezer (ok, it sat out maybe 20 minutes) to the charcoal yesterday on a 1.25" steak. About 90 seconds on each side got them nice and brown. Temp was 90 inside. held it aside while I charcoaled the sous vide steaks on the cool side and gave it another minute or so on each side on the now slightly less agitated coals. Temp 125. That was a surprise.

Comment

Thought I'd share my SV steak regiment.
              Last night I Joule'd a 2" ribeye straight out of the freezer 130* for three hours. (If not frozen go 2 hours) Removed, pat dry, add a little avocado oil, season and sear. No ice bath. I seared it on my Yoder pellet with the deflector removed set at 450* on screaming hot grill grates maybe a minute per side. Perfect medium rare, cut with fork tender. This is my go to and It was excellent. My wife whom usually has a bite or two ate more than half. "She is my toughest critic". Sorry no pics. Since I got my Joule (when they 1st came out 2 years or so)it is the only way I Cook a steak anymore. Always tender, and juicy. Not sure any of this helps but it's how I roll.

Comment

At temps in the 130sF you won’t get much tenderness change unless you go over 4-6 hours. I’ve done ribeyes more than 8 at 132F and they were good. Don’t do that with a tenderloin or anything already tender though or it will be too mushy (probably wouldn’t with a T-bone because of the tender side).

you can expect perfect temp but not tenderness gain unless you specifically go for that.

If it’s lacking in flavor is it salted enough or given enough time for the salt to absorb? Salt level is critical for perfection.

I’ll even dry brine before freezing to ensure salt level is right (have to mark the bags though so you don’t double salt).

Comment

• hogdog6
                  hogdog6 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Correct. I always salt for a dry brine prior to vacuum seal and freezing. I use a low or no salt rub for the sear.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here