Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide t-bone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide t-bone

I finally broke down and bought a sous vide thinggy after seeing some amazing pics and results on here. When I saw Troutman qvq a brisket at medium rare I was sold . Here is my first attempt.. water bath at 129 for 2 hours then seared in a cast iron pan.. I must say that was a good steak!! Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190818_165010.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.45 MB ID:	759391
    Last edited by Backroadmeats; October 21, 2019, 05:59 PM.

It's a major boon having SV capabilities in the kitchen. I'm building my custom tank now.

That's a nice looking steak!

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      What are you building for a tank??

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Backroadmeats the Coleman Stacker Project from Anova. My lid is cut in half with hinges and a center gasket, there's a grommet for the heater in the lid from a computer desk part, and a pan lid organizer in the bottom, upside down, to hold the bags. I'll post it when it's done.

The key word to sous vide containers is insulation. Learn how to make the MOST effective cooking vessel with Anova's step-by-step sous vide cooler guide.

That steak just made me hungry again. Nicely done.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks I didn't think it was to bad for my first go..

Very nice!

Comment

Great looking T-Bone Backroadmeats . I'd eat that.

Comment

Backroadmeats Troutman is making me dig out my SV machinpe also. I am still not sold on it. Especially steaks since my wife likes hers at 120 and I like mine at 130. A good sear works best for me. As for other meats, I'll never use it for pork butt I want the smoke flavor the whole time and the same for brisket as it will not save time and I want the smoke. But I will try it on other things to try it out.

Comment

Medium rare brisket was the reason I got a SV machine. Still haven’t done a chuckie, but I’ve been meaning to get around to it. Tri tip at 131 for 12 hours is excellent. Very tender and it’s pretty tough to get a thick roast like a tri tip perfectly cooked edge to edge any other way. My favorite way to sear is over the SnS, but cast iron works well too.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Do a medium rare chuckie, you won’t want to do one any other way, I guar-ron-tee !!!

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed! I do SVQ chucks frequently and they are great.

Doing this very thing right now. SV'd a couple at 131, ice bath, on the pellet pooper now for a little smoke (while I finish my 'tini and smoke), then searing over a ripping oak fire in the Santa Maria grill. It's good to be retired!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191021_193847.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	759866
          Last edited by CaptainMike; October 22, 2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            You can say that again

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Did this really happen? Where are the pics? Oh, I guess they are coming!
            And... I'm working hard on the retirement thing - just 355 days away now, unless I decide to stay on a little longer.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, man, CaptainMike . What a great way to use 3 of your fav toys.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; October 22, 2019, 07:11 PM.

T-Bone/porterhouse steaks are to die for, my favorite hands down. Great job with yours !!!

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            I couldn't agree more. My favorite is the porterhouse..thanks for all the great post you do on SV. I seared on a cast iron pan because it was raining out.. next time I will do it on a ripping bed of coals on the Weber.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here