Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chili and Sous-Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chili and Sous-Vide

I’ve been asking so many questions that I figured I ought to pony up and go ahead and officially join the Pitmaster Club (so I did).

So, here’s yet another question: I like to make Chili with a Beef Chuck-eye Roast. Now that I am playing around with my new SVQ, I’m wondering if anyone has tried using the one (SVQ) to make the other (Chili).

I found one recipe that suggests cutting up the meat, browning it, making the sauce, and then bagging all of that up to cook in the SVQ.

I was thinking of just throwing the roast in a bag in the SVQ (for 30 hours at 131° like a bottom round roast), and then cut it up and brown it afterward. Or maybe smoke it, cut it up and brown it.

Any thoughts, recommendations or do’s and don’ts on method, time, temp, sequence or cuts of beef to use?

I've never done chili in SV, but if you've got an Instant Pot and like Texas style chili this recipe is off the hook. The homemade chili paste is outstanding.
    Chili's ON! Use your Instant Pot to make an amazing batch of Texas-Style Chili in half the time! Perfect for game day entertaining.

See how easy it is to turn dried chilies into a smoky chili paste! It's totally customizable to your heat preferences and perfect for making Chili con Carne.

Comment

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the links pkadare. I'm going to give that a go this fall with some of your home bred geese as they filter down this way. I'll also do a batch with breast meat from some of the local mallards. My duck/goose chili has always been a favorite of family and friends. Using the IP will make it just that much easier to prepare.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      dubob - Please feel free to kill as many Canadian geese as you can, limits be damned! Nothing more than huge flying rats that poop far too much.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been making chili like this for decades. It's fun to try different chili's and vary the rations of each.

Chili involves a braising process, you are already getting your meat tenderizer via the chili cook itself. Going through an entire SVQ process then putting it into a low and slow chili braise seems a bit overkill to me.

Comment

• MarkN
      MarkN commented
      Editing a comment
      True, but my thought was to substitute the SVQ for the braise, so the final assembly could go quickly. Since this may be a bad idea, I thought I would ask here before throwing the beef in the pot.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Well if you think about it, part of the delicious aspect of a chili (or any stew for that matter) is the way the fat and proteins meld together with the other ingredients. In other words the sum of the parts is what makes it so good, not necessarily the parts alone.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      The redundant repeated process of redundancy.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; September 29, 2021, 09:44 AM.

Welcome to The Pit MarkN. I don't think chili is the right recipe for SVQ. You can do it, but why dirty up more dishes when you don't need to. Troutman is imparting wisdom here bro.

Comment

When I have left over brisket or chuck that I have smoked, sometimes SVQ I love what it adds to chili. I cook up all the other ingredients, sometimes in the instapot, sometimes on the stove. I just add the meat in later in the process. I works great for me!

Comment

So far it appears that no one has tried this specific thing before. I guess the question is whether cooking via SVQ, smoking, browning and then throwing it into the pot with the chili is better/worse/no change from the traditional version of cooking it all in a pot to meld all the flavors.

I’ll have to give this some more thought. The biggest "downside" is that I just might have to make several batches of chili over the next couple of weeks to see what’s what. Good thing my wife likes chili (and she’ll let me know what’s what 😊).

Comment

@pkadare, we're doing our best. That's me on the right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161210_121327.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	742140

Comment

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            You go dubob and freinds

• dubob
            dubob commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks mountainsmoker - I will in December.

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Next, BBQ time and good eats.

It might be interesting to sous vide a chuck roast at 131 for 24 hours. Make a quick chili recipe with ground beef, or without, hell vegetarian... Then cube the sous vide roast up, I would probably make the cubes small (mostly because I once had a similar chili at a festival made by an old couple i still have no idea how they made). Probably just add texture difference. Throw in a smoked chuck roast plus the sous vide cubes. It would make an interesting demonstration of two uses for the same roast.

Comment

Optional: Season and smoke whole chuck roast to IT of 130 or so. Maybe 135. Maybe give a bit of a sear if you want it a bit more barky.

Cube it up, bag it up, sous vide at maybe 155x8 hours. You want it to pull... so maybe a bit longer. Pinch that, and when it shreds at a pinch, you're there.
            Assemble chili base separately, sous vide at 182x1hr.
            Or just build your chili base and reduce it some on the stovetop.

Combine.
            Getting Stopped Short Beef short ribs have become very popular.  It’s easy to forget that not so long ago, they were really a sort of throwaway cut. Fatty, extremely high in collagen, and tough with lots of bone, butchers and chefs were only too happy to part with them in favor of the cut at the other […]

Sous vide is extractive. Any vegetal matter in the chili base will require a much higher temp than you would want for the meat, so cooking together seems like a recipe for a bad chili base and low flavor beef...

I do a P-cooker texas chili that I'm very fond of. Haven't thought about chili, but not terribly inclined to mess with a recipe I feel works really well.

Comment

To me a good chili Texas style is ground beef browned in the pot and the fond released by the tomatoes when they are added. There are numerous amounts of ground chilis and spices added during the cooking time that usually takes about 3 hours. Here is one recipe that is delicious. https://gquebbq.com/2-time-national-...-chili-recipe/

Comment

• dubob
                dubob commented
                Editing a comment
                Amen Potkettleblack!

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                Tomato sauce = concentrated tomatoes.LOL

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Tomato paste is concentrated tomatoes. But still... Get a rope. ;-)

But if you like a tomato sauce chili, you do you. There is no one true recipe or truth to the dish. Cincy has a much claim as the southwest.
                Last edited by Potkettleblack; September 16, 2019, 05:04 PM.

I would make sure to give Meathead's Texas Style Chili Con Carne a try. I love adding smoked brisket or smoked chuck for the protein. Pulled pork is also fantastic.

Comment

• MarkN
                MarkN commented
                Editing a comment
                OK, this weekend I will give it a try with Meathead's version, subject to a few modifications (like my own chili powder and I cook it in the oven instead of the stove top because it seems to spread the heat more evenly and I don't have to be as concerned about stuff sticking to the bottom as much). We'll see what happens!

Meanwhile, I'll keep practicing with my SVQ on other stuff.

While no longer appropriate to the topic (I did not use SVQ), here's my latest attempt at chili. It's part Meathead's recipe (smoked boneless chuck-eye roast) with some things taken from Cook's Illustrated Jan-Feb 2011, Cook's Country Dec-Jan 2013 and part my own tweeks.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1406.JPG
Views:	920
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	743654Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1407.JPG
Views:	916
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	743655

Comment

Looks mighty fine eating.

Comment

Excellent

Comment

I am planning a pretty large pot of chili as part of our give away food at a rib comp this weekend. I adapted an old white chili recipe from Emeril as a starting point. Cilantro is an incredible addition to a chili recipe. I have used all different types of meat, from ground turkey, ground beef, shredded pork roast, pot roast and stew meat.

On this occasion, I'm going to use stew meat I picked up from Costco. The last time I tried stew meat, I browned it and dropped it in with the rest of the chili ingredients and let it simmer and simmer and simmer...the following day it still needed simmering and simmering to get the chunks to shred.

I've decided I am going to sous vide the meat beforehand. Looks like 133-135 for about 36 hours should get me to a good spot.

Opinions please:

Before adding to the pot for the last 12-15 hours...

Broil on a cookie sheet to brown it up?

Grill it in a foil pan at a high temp?

Smoke it for an hour?

Comment

• Santamarina
                      Santamarina commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’m a fan of smoking it a bit. Smoke flavor sits just right in chili.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here