Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rehearing whole, frozen, COOKED tritip via sous vide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rehearing whole, frozen, COOKED tritip via sous vide?

Hello everyone. I have a couple whole, frozen already cooked tritip and I want to reheat them. I was thinking about dropping them into a sous vide bath. Has anyone done this? If so what temp and time would you recommend? Otherwise, what other method would you recommend?

I’d do 131...that’s the temp I’d SV it at to begin with.

Comment

It depends on the temp you originally cooked them to. Do not exceed but come just below whatever that temp was when reheating.

Comment

I would for sure re-sear it, but then again, I don't suhhhhwheeeee anything but hogs.

Comment

How long do you think it would take to get to 130 or so? 2 hours?

Comment

It depends on the thickness. The following is from ChefSteps and is for thawed product.
            • 0.5 in (10 mm) thick: 8 min reheat time
            • 1 in (25 mm) thick: 25 min reheat time
            • 2 in (50 mm) thick: 1½ hr reheat time
            • 2.5 in (60 mm) thick: 2 hr reheat time
            • 3 in (75 mm) thick: 2¾ hr reheat time
            • 3.5 in (85 mm) thick: 3½ hr reheat time
            • 4 in (105 mm) mm thick: 5 hr reheat time
            • 4.5 in (115 mm) mm thick: 6 hr reheat time
            I would think that if you are putting frozen product into the sous vide then you should add 50% more time.

Comment

You may want to read through this topic with respect to food safety and reheating via sous vide:

I'm wondering about using sous vide to reheat foods. I can't convince myself that it is a safe method, although it should be since so many people do it and the Chef Steps (Joule) site

Especially this post:
              I'm wondering about using sous vide to reheat foods. I can't convince myself that it is a safe method, although it should be since so many people do it and the Chef Steps (Joule) site

Remember danger zone time is cumulative for any given food. That's the concept that was a wake-up call for me. I don't reheat via sous vide. Not worth the risk for me.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                ofelles , Depends on the size of the piece being reheated. I always defrost the piece in the fridge. Usually then I microwave to close to the desired temp and pan or grill sear it if it's to be eaten directly. If in chunks or pulled, I put from the defrosted state right into the simmering pot of chili, marinara sauce, etc.

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you fzxdoc. Looking for a way to have left over steak not well done.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                ofelles, if it's just a steak then boiling in a bag is probably not a bad way to go. Personally, I dislike the taste of reheated meat, preferring to eat it cold. Everything else gets reheated to 165°. The only meat I reheat is pastrami slices in the microwave to take the chill off just before adding the meat to a reuben sammie and panini pressing it until the cheese is bubbly and the meat is really hot. Otherwise shredded or cubed meat gets dumped straight in whatever sauce I'm cooking.

K.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here