Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Brisket Hold Time Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Brisket Hold Time Question

I have a small brisket ready to come out of the bath tomorrow morning. QVQ 133 x 64 hours and vacuum sealed. I had planned to shock, put in fridge and finish the smoke/set bark on Sunday.

I’ve just been informed that my guests will not be coming for dinner until the following Sunday (Sept 1st).

My question is will the brisket be OK in the fridge for a week or will it need a little freezer time.

I've gone as long as 7 days, that's about it. Since it's fully cooked at this point and I assume still vacuum packed, you might be okay. However, a little freezer time might not be a bad idea. Let's see if others have had any experience with that.

Comment

I it is vacuum sealed with no salt or seasoning it would be fine in the frig. If salted and seasoned, into the freezer.

Comment

• rodkeary
        rodkeary commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm. Thanks for the suggestions but I never considered sous vide brisket would have been your bailiwick. Are these suggestions based on your personal experience or science?

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        rodkeary Very astute of you, good sir!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, biting my tongue was beginning to hurt

If you have a good vac seal, in a real vac bag (as opposed to a ziplock), it’s shelf stable for a long time. I’ve had stuff like that in my fridge for months.

Salt and seasoning should not make a dofference. I think MS is out of his bailiwick here. Salt would be an anti microbial preservative.

Keep it in the colder part of your fridge, you be 💯 fine. Lee it on the warmest part of your fridge, fine. Don’t put it on top of the fridge, but that should go without saying.

Comment

• rodkeary
        rodkeary commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know. Vac sealed via Foodsaver. Dry brined (out of habit) and seasoned with a no salt rub. For some reason I thought 5 days was the limit? I usually only have to QVQ/SVQ/SV for the 2 of us at home so storage is never an issue but if I ever have to go longer than 5 days I’ll feel confident doing so. Thanks!

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Once you break the vac seal, your clock starts, right. So the pork belly I forgot about for several months was in the original seal. Once I opened it, the one week clock started.

To reestablish the seal wouldn’t make sense. I’d have to repasteurize, and then we’re talking a lot of trips through the zone, and autolysis issues.

• rodkeary
        rodkeary commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack 10-4 on the vac seal. Thanks!

For me if it’s over 3 days, then I freeze it after I smoked em. Saves a lot of time.
      2 days before they are served, I put them in the fridge to start thawing
      i then heat the joule to 150 5 hours before and let them sit and warm up in the water. At that point they are at temp, nice and hot and ready to serve

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here