Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Q - What's the bid deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    No, for veggies, straight out of the bag works.

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    Smoking77 no, there is no need to let it warm up again after shocking, in fact, keeping it cool allows you more time to get a good sear without continuing to cook the interior more.

• Ronaldf123
    replied
    Years ago when I first heard about sous vide I went out and spent an ungodly amount of money on one along with this big fancy vacuum packer. I thought this would improve my cooking skills of which I have none. I think I tried it twice along with a torch burner to char them. I’m not sure what cooking show I got the idea from. Everything I tried to cook in it came out bad and I couldn’t stand to look at the meat when it came out. It’s been sitting in the garage since. I’ve learned more from reading on this site since I joined than anywhere else, maybe I’ll pull it back out and give it a try again. Sounds like it could be a time saver at times. When you do the veggies do you need to do anything else to them when you take them out?

Leave a comment:

• Smoking77
    commented on 's reply
    Potkettleblack After shocking, do you sear straight from the ice bath/fridge, or do you warm the meat a little first?

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I thought about but never got a dedicated sous vide bin for my Anova - I have been using it pretty successfully with a 2 gallon stock pot, or with a couple of old stove top dutch oven style pots. Those are already in the kitchen, and I didn't have to find room to store something else...

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Troutman only the workers who ride bikes to work, still trying to figure how to get them to work in the shower

• Bumby
    replied
    I like but don't love my sous vide. Because at this point I know (or at least like to think I know) my way around a piece of meat, I actually use it more frequently on veggies. I'll fill a ziplock with asparagus, garlic and olive oil and then into the sous vide for an hour! I think the big challenge, particularly living in a city, is that it does take up a good deal of space between the sous vide machine itself and the bin that I use for the sous vide. Because I am under construction, I had to edit down my small appliances for the summer -- the sous vide did not make the cut.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    I guess I can take mine out of the closet now

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    All correct. I personally SV steak at 130 and then ice bath until well chilled. Then hit with a good sear and pull at 125. Comes out how I like them every time after carryover does its magic. The ice chill is really the key IMHO. Never had a steak that needed a long SV.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I heard they use bath salts when processing chicken

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here