Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Q - What's the bid deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Waibel
    commented on 's reply
    Also - Boiling implies cooking at 212 degrees. SV cooks are typically much lower temp.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I know this is tongue in cheek... but it's not boiled. It's heated by water, no contact with water. Just in case a newbie reads this I wanted to make sure they understand.

• Beefchop
    replied
    Sous vide here in Cajun country is simply a fancy French term for "boiled meat".

My smoker and grills look at the sous vide machine and say, "who dis?"

Leave a comment:

• Neil Waibel
    replied
    Made SV brisket last weekend. 30 hrs at 155, 3 hours smoke at 200. Also used a 50/50 mix of bag drippings and Baby Rays BBQ sauce, lightly simmered together as a topper. Phenomenal taste and moisture. And leftovers have not dried out either. Used the point for this cook, got the flat curing for SV pastrami this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice. You guys are awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sv brisket.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	739938

Leave a comment:

• Fire&Water
    replied
    I have been running a FaceBook group, Facebook Page, and Youtube channel for over a year now using sous vide and BBQ. I started a Podcast a few months ago and one of my 1st guests was Clint Cantwell, and the Podcast I just recorded today was with Meathead. Sous Vide is a method that works really well with smoking and grilling and does not replace bbq.. they can work together or separate, and combined they can be amazing.. Like any cooking method you need to study it and experiment with it to make you food the way you like it.. and if you don't want to you don't have to. Check out Fire & Water cooking if you are interested.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Question 1: reheat temp. With Sous Vide, it’s already safely cooked, so you do not need to hit a USDA internal temp on reheat. More relevant with poultry and pork than steak.

Re: Brisket. Yes. Time is tenderness. 203 is like instant collagen breakdown or something. But you can get to the same point with lower temperature and more time. So 72h at 135 will produce a similar jiggle. 36 at 155 will as well, and a visual appearance more like traditional brisket. Because temperature is doneness.

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    SV really does tenderize a brisket. I use 155 degrees for 24-36 hours, based on a Serious Eats article, and it does a marvelous job at breaking down all the tissues and still having the proper texture in the finished product.

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    For questions related to the science of SV, I always refer to Douglas Baldwin. The answer to your question of "How does that work?" can be found here - https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    Don't worry about "dumb" questions I/we have already done that and I to have brought up topic that have been hashed to death and the people have been kind enough to answer them again and/or refer me to other posts.
    For an opening shot you sure made quite a showing! πŸ‘πŸ˜

• rodkeary
    commented on 's reply
    Take a look at @Troutmans sticky. It certainly does work. A combination of temperature and time.

Medium rare brisket in and of itself seems to be a contradiction. We’re so used to the low and slow, take it up to over 200* succulent but well done brisket that we all strive to

• Neil Waibel
    replied
    All I can say is WOW. This forum is awesome. By the way, that (OP) was my first post ever and I got over 110 responses in just a few days. I am impressed by this community. My friends/family all think I'm an expert at this stuff, but I'm just using all the killer recipes and tactics I've learned on this site. Compared to you guys I'm just a beginner, but hoping to get better. That said, this is what I've learned:

1) It's not fair to compare smoked meat with non-smoked meat. FYI - In the original post I indicated that I did not add any other seasonings...that was incorrect (I forgot). I did not pre-salt and did have a standard-ish beef rub on both samples, so this added some flavor, but not enough to be comparable
    2) I used the wrong cut of meat. A NY steak is better for the smoker.
    3) Sous Vide does not make the overall process faster, it might make the final cook faster (or the same if you have to reheat from cold).
    4) Don't forget vegetables. SV vegetables are awesome.
    5) Some people really don't like SV and are tired of talking about it. I realize that many of you have probably heard this question or others like it before. I did not do a thorough review of all previous comments about SV and probably could have learned enough to not post if I had, but I really appreciate all the responses people took the time to make.

One question I still have about the sous vide process (and I think this is important for me to understand for health purposes). Is the last statement in the following paragraph true?:

Normal grilling/smoking has to achieve two things: 1) kill bacteria, and 2) impart flavor. Using SV takes care of the killing bacteria part, but you still need a step in the process to impart flavor. The smoking/searing part gives the meat that flavor. Since the SV already killed the internal organisms, it is not as critical to reach the 135 internal temperature again during the smoke/sear phase, which allows for a shorter final cook. Is this last statement true?

My next attempt will be brisket (and I'm looking forward to cooking a smaller section of brisket rather than a full 14 pounder). One more question - On the standard recipe section, Meathead talks about hitting 203 degrees for that magic temperature when the connective tissue breaks down. I've done several briskets and taken a few off too early, so I know there is a big difference between 190 and 203. Is it true that SV at a lower temperature (but for 50 hours) will still break down this connective tissue? How does that work?

Thanks again for all the great feedback!

Leave a comment:

• dubob
    commented on 's reply
    I ALWAYS do corn (husk on) in the microwave. Always done to perfection and no corn silk to deal with. But that's just me. 😁

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    No husk, trimmed stem (enough to turn if I want to char on the grill after... enough to hold if I don't), maybe trimmed tip if the tip looks meh, on the cob. My wife cuts it off the cob after, since she's had a crown on her left front tooth since she was 17 and doesn't eat anything with her front teeth.

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee - Husked but still on the cob for me.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee , I like it off the cob. Husks are not always clean--OK for grilling where the husk is taken to high temps but not necessarily for cooking in its own juice/butter, IMO, which is then eaten with the corn. I prefer to wash the corn clean before cooking it with any method, others may not. With the Joule recipe, it is tender crisp-- so delicious. I'm sure it's the same way for the in-husk methods as well.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here