Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Q - What's the bid deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I wasn't impressed with chicken breast either, and I followed Clint's recipes at a couple different temperature levels. I thought the same as you, in my opinion just not worth all the effort

• MarkN
    replied
    After a number of attempts now, I have to say I am underwhelmed with my Sous-Vide.

I made a number of attempts at boneless-skinless chicken breasts and have never had a result that I couldn't do better on the grill or stovetop sans Sous-Vide. I'm guessing SV is for bone-in skin-on chicken breasts. Tonight I tried a couple of 1-1/2" thick ribeyes that I did by following the Amazingribs.com recipe exactly and step-by-step. Disappointing. Again, I can do better sans Sous-Vide.

That being said, a couple of weeks ago I tried cutting up a chuck roast into steaks, did the SV thing and had outstanding results. In fact, it was better than the ribeyes we had tonight.

Although I will keep experimenting, my feeling at this point is that the Sous-Vide is best at making tough cuts of red meat tender.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Allow me to convert you to the school of 140* is a bad temp for pork. 135* is the correct pork chop temp for most people's preference.

Long sous vide will not generally provide a benefit to lean meats, like pork chops from commercial pork. There is no connective tissue to break down.

Search this site for @fzxdoc's thread on SV pork chop help. We got her squared, we can get you squared.

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I've seen some folks who do it for 4 hours or longer. So, I think holding wouldn't be that detrimental. I might also hold at a lower temp. I've burned my mouth eating it directly out of the bath, and unable to stop myself.

• JimLinebarger
    commented on 's reply
    We just did sous vide fried chicken and it was great. Put the dark meat in @155 for 2 hours and then added the breasts for 1 hour. Total 3 hours for the dark meat and 1 hour for the breasts. They came out tender and a little juicy. 2 hours @155 is probably too long. Try 1 hour for the breasts. Some do it @148 for 1 hour.

• MarkN
    commented on 's reply
    For my next attempt, I will give it more time. Thanks.

• Fire&Water
    commented on 's reply
    just like any other cooking method, there are a range of times and temps that sous vide offers for what you are looking for. You cant just pick one time/temp and have a bad result and then blame the method that thousands have great results with. Here is a tip, 1 hour at 140 degrees will not and cannot "tenderize" anything. the very basic "rule" of sous vide is "Temp is doneness, Time is tenderness" meaning the longer time the more tender on tougher meats.

• MarkN
    replied
    After the disappointment with the Sous-Vide boneless-skinless chicken breasts on Saturday (dried out and overcooked), I tried 1” thick bone-in pork chops yesterday. 140° for 1 hour. While they were perfectly "done" (as in not over or under cooked) and had some juice, they were tough and chewy. Another disappointment after reading here how so many others achieved the "juiciest and tenderest" ever. I’ve made juicier and more tender on the grill, the oven and the stovetop.

With all the accolades about the Sous-Vide method, I was hoping for "professional level" cooking that would be juicy and tender even if I left it cook longer than the minimum suggested time. So far it has not worked out that way.

Maybe I need to move on to beef.

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Its the only way I plan to do pork loin from now on. Although my new Maverick XR-50 really helps me keep from overcooking it using the traditional cooking method on the kamado, its not as juicy as the SVQ method.

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    I just took an SVQ pork loin out of the freezer. Going on the PBC for dinner tomorrow. Can't wait!

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    I home brew and I have a 5 tap keggerator, and I usually have some non-alcoholic root beer on tap. We don't drink the entire time, we bum around doin' random yard work, watching sports, and such.

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    58limited That's a s%&t load of beer! 10-16 hrs your a better man than I. Although I do agree with you.

• 58limited
    replied
    I recently made Clint Cantwell's SVQ Pork Loin: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...rk-loin-recipe

It was the juiciest, best pork loin I've ever done. Sous Vide is a good tool, but is only a part of the cooking equation. One of my best prime rib roasts was done with the sous vide, 16 hours then seasoned and reverse seared on the Kamado at 550 degrees for 20 minutes. It is also now my favorite way to cook fish.

However, I still prefer simple grilling for steaks and I am being a little hard headed in that I am reluctant to SV a brisket, I just love the tedious process of smoking - usually with friends while drinking beer - its the ambience and camaraderie that I like I guess. But, I'll SVQ one someday...

Leave a comment:

• Beefchop
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, boys, it was a joke.

• MarkN
    replied
    Got an Anova Sous-Vide and tried it out for the first time tonight. Did chicken breasts at 155 degrees for 2+ hours. Was very disappointed at how dry and overcooked it was. Used the higher temperature suggested in the article on the free site here instead of the lower temperature suggested by Anova via their app. Will go with the lower temp suggested by Anova next time.

Trying pork chops tomorrow, optimistic of a better outcome (I never get anything right on the first try ).

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here