Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide then Smoke then Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide then Smoke then Sear

I had the pleasure of meeting Meathead at the inaugural Sous Vide Summit held in Delaware in July. We talked about reverse sear with sous vide but have not experimented with smoking after sous vide. So I thought I'd give it a try with a rack of baby back ribs.
    I dry brined the ribs over night then added a dry rub before bagging the ribs.
    After reviewing several recipes I settled on a sous vide of 140 degrees F for 24 hours. Afterwards I plunged the ribs into an ice bath and put the ribs in the refrigerator until the weekend.
    I use a Traeger Smoker Grill and smoked the ribs at 180 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours. Then I pushed the temperature up to 400, added some BBQ sauce and seared he ribs for about 7 minutes.
    The ribs were amazing. Thoroughly cooked, tender, full of flavor and fell off the bone when you bit into them. Everyone gathered were blown away.
    Next time I will take some pictures.
    Has anyone else traveled down this path?

I've never done ribs in the SV as I prefer to let them hang in the PBC and I really don't like fall of the bone ribs. If I'm going to SV and smoke, I tend to do it with tougher cuts and then I smoke, SV, and then smoke again, or as it is referred to around here - QVQ.
    Last edited by pkadare; August 1, 2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Yup, sure have, along with about every other cut of meat I can think of. Next time try getting a little smoke on those puppies before you put them in the bath. We call it QVQ, first Q is smoke first (when the meat is cold and wet and will take on a lot of smoke), V for your SV bath time/temp and the final Q is to reestablish bark and glazing.

Welcome to the Pit, glad you are here !! Keep those recipes coming along with some pix !!

Comment

The Sous Vide Summit was awesome and +1 on what Troutman said.

Comment

I'll definitely give QVQ a try next time. How long do you do the first smoke?

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Smoke right up to, but do not exceed, your bath temp.

I don’t really Sous Vide ribs. I did once with a bad rack and was not pleased with the result. Many people produce very nice looking racks though, so good on you.

Comment

First welcome from the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I haven’t done ribs yet but am working my way through the different cuts of beef and pork. Troutman turned me on to the QVQ method and the results have been quite well received by family and friends, and it has taken timing issues out of the equation when I am planning to serve guests at a particular time.

Comment

I’ve done it a few times, always with St Louis ribs. Think I did 24 hr in the bath and then smoked for 1-2 hours. Produces good results but the ribs tasted much richer than just pure smoking. Can’t explain it and don’t understand why it happened but was only able to eat 2-3 ribs before it got to me which is about half the normal amount!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here