Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless Chicken Breast Sous Vide Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless Chicken Breast Sous Vide Questions

I want to make shredded chicken for my Mexican chicken wraps. I usually simmer the boneless chicken breasts in enchilada sauce from a can. I’d like to sous vide the chicken this time.

Would it benefit me to sous vide the chicken in the enchilada sauce or just mix the enchilada sauce in after the chicken is cooked and I shred the chicken?

How long and at what temperature should I sous vide the boneless skinless chicken breasts for?

Thanks

Steve

I usually SV chicken breast at 140* for two hours then hit it on a hot grill or CI for a very short amount of time just to add a bit of flavor. I have never used liquid in the bag with chicken though, so can’t help there.

Comment

I would put it in the bag. It’s not going to hurt anything.

Comment

Maybe try both, one breast with the sauce, the other without and mixed in later.

Comment

I've done this before. SV @ 140* for 90min. NO sauce. Shred than add to sauce and simmer for about 45 min. You'll be good to go.

Comment

I don't think a whole chicken breast benefits from having the sauce around it in a bath. But like was mentioned you might want to experiment and give it a try. I like Steve B 's idea however, shred it then sauce it. That way you get much better comingling of flavors.

Comment

Things in the enchilada sauce may develop off flavors in the sous vide.

I would sous vide to shred, cook the sauce in a pan a bit with some filtered chicken purge from the bag, then shred the chicken into the warmed and reduced enchilada sauce.

Comment

I wish I could double dog ditto this last post. Been there, done that. When will I learn that sous vide nekkid meat is the way to go.

Plus, FWIW, if you have an Instant Pot or similar, that's a great way to make pulled chicken quickly from the frozen bird parts: http://flavorrd.com/2015/07/instant-pot-insta-chicken/

K.

Comment

Originally posted by ssandy_561 View Post
                  I want to make shredded chicken for my Mexican chicken wraps. I usually simmer the boneless chicken breasts in enchilada sauce from a can. I’d like to sous vide the chicken this time.

Would it benefit me to sous vide the chicken in the enchilada sauce or just mix the enchilada sauce in after the chicken is cooked and I shred the chicken?

How long and at what temperature should I sous vide the boneless skinless chicken breasts for?

Thanks

Steve
                  Go Bills!

Comment

• ssandy_561
                    ssandy_561 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hell yeah!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here