Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Turkey for Thanksgiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Turkey for Thanksgiving

I will not be able to fit the entire turkey parts in my pot - so I will be cooking them in two batches - dark, then light. I will place the first batch in the frig while the second is cooking. Then I plan to smoke/grill the turkey on the Weber. How long can I keep the meat smoking at a low temp (250??) in the Weber without overcooking? I have been following the recipe for Weber'ed turkey on this website for years and now want to try something different, but keep that great smoked taste!

Exact time depends on the size of the turkey, but since it's already cooked, I'd pull it on the low side - maybe 150? However, I'd be concerned about the skin. I cook poultry hot and fast so the skin will crisp. I can't see that happening at 250.

Comment

Rosie first welcome to the Pit from the mountains of NC, hope you become a whole member. Now to the turkey. How high have you SV'd your turkey to the safe 165 temp. If so them I would get your Weber up to 300 and place the turkey on the grill. An hour to warm up the bird and crisp the skin should be enough. I hate soggy skin. LOL Once it gets back to 165 in the thigh and breast you can take it off and tent it the crisp skin should stay crisp for a while I have found up to an hour and the turkey will stay safe also.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        145 is a perfectly cooked breast, Sous Vide. Taking it to 165 is a recipe for cardboard.

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Bkhuna that is your opinion. But if you take the bird off when the breast is 155 and let it rest it will rise to 165 it is a perfectly deliciously piece of meat..

As far as you @iPotkettleblack how do you do you treat your cut up pieces of turkey as I don't know of any SV that can handle a whole turkey.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 24, 2019, 07:31 PM.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        You don't need to cook turkey breast to 165° to be safe.

This has been discussed here ad ad nauseam.

I’m a bit confused (which is par for the course), why are you keeping it a long time on your Weber? Are you trying to pick up as much smoke as possible after the bath?

Heres a strategy you might consider. Go ahead and smoke your bird whole first. When meat is cold and raw it takes on the most smoke. Take it up to about 140*. Then cut it up, bag it and into the SV in batches.

Final step is to crank up the heat and do a final crisping of the skin and warm the meat. We call it QVQ. Give it a try, best turkey ever

Oh and welcome to the Pit !!

Comment

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman IMHO. you got it right

• T-bone
        T-bone commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on Troutman recommendation, but recommend ice bath / chilling after it comes out of the bath. At the recent Sous Vide Summit we attended, they stressed that the post-bath chill was an important part flavor development.

I have no comment on this subject but welcome to the pit.

Comment

Ditto on the no comment on topic. Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome, good luck with your Turkey.

Comment

Serious eats has a pretty good process for SV Turkey. Mix and match with the Ultimate recipe here, and yer gold.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland.

Comment

mountainsmoker
                Sorry, this is too large for a comment reply.

The problem with sous viding a whole turkey, beyond containment (I could do it with my large cambro), is that I don't want to take the breast above 145 and I don't really want the dark meat and wings below 150.

So, pieces, like so: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...breasts-thighs

or like so: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...ate-legs-crown

More than one way to butcher the bird.

I don't like their temps, as 131 poultry is not to my liking.

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

I prefer the temps in these articles:
                ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

If you want to see a full turkey, fully insane, it's a four part post from a mad scientist:

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you are missing my question. What do you do after the SV. Do you smoke it? I like a crisp skin. How do you get that? I have seen the seriouseats article before and the chefsteps.

I am not a proponent of SV but do have a SV and do use it on a couple of things. Just not meat. The time needed just doesn't justify it for me. 48-72 hours!! With the meat in a bag. I can get just as tender meat directly on an indirect smoker with moisture introduced and smoke all in one step.
                  Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 25, 2019, 01:43 PM.

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can oven roast. You can smoke. You can fry. You can cook the skin separately. You can sear on the grill. You can baste with hot oil.

If you like crisp skin, I'd either recommend the separation process that Kenji listed, deep fry, or the hot fat baste in the 4th part of Dave Arnold's process.

The point in linking all those articles is that there are a lot of ways to finish it. I've done close proximity smoking, which came out pretty good.

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Full disclosure: I did not SV turkey last year.

And I probably will not be SVing the T-day turkey this year, either. I have a process on the Grilla that I think yields perfection. Wife agrees.

Thanks to all of you - I will try a chicken first and try to find a happy medium.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is a sound strategy. If you want the other Sous Vide advice: start with the end in mind. What is your ultimate plan for the turkey parts?

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here