Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sous-vid-que flank steak for fajitas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nikolausp
    commented on 's reply
    Potkettleblack just curious, at 131 , how long do you SV before the shock & fridge?

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Temp is doneness, time is tenderness. Different people have different preferences. Also, different end goals require different preps. If you want more chew to flank, less time, or if thin slicing is part of the program. For tacos, longer run, because you want some tender bites.

• Spinaker
    replied
    Thanks for the great write up.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Great looking pictures and excellent write up. I get that you SV the flank for tenderness but I'm in the non-SV camp on this, grilling after a long marinade always works well for me. I tried doing skirt via SV about a year or so ago and over did it. The meat came out of the bath with the consistency of mush, hadn't tried thin cuts after that disaster. It looks like yours came out good however.

I like the Alton Brown marinade, it's very close to mine. I use a lot more citrus because of the acid content. Try using a variety of like lime, lemon and even orange. Also, the soy is a real winner. I had a Mexican chef tell me to use Dale's, he swears by it. I really like it, it's got MSG to give that umami note as well as heavy on the soy content. There is a reduced sodium version if you have a problem with too much salt.

Again, good post, I like the direction you headed in.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    Potkettleblack I was commenting more on the temp question cooking below 130. I was trying to say that the Joule recipes routinely call for temps under 130. I do know other cuts require longer cooking time to tenderize them.

I am still confused by the inconsistencies in times for the same cuts of meat though.

• Red Man
    replied
    Looks great! I’ve read that it’s safe to SV below 131 if you do a front sear to kill off anything on the surface.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoJoseph
    commented on 's reply
    NO worries, fair question. Two reasons. First because I wanted the long slow SV to tenderize it a bit. I’m not sure that I’m getting that at only a few hours (the recipe here on amazingribs that I linked above SVs for 13 hours!), but I figured any long slow heat would help. And also because in the pan, by the time it gets to temp in the middle, even though it’s fast, I found the outer edges to be way too done. Honestly I don’t think I’ve ever done it JUST on the grill. I evolved from pan to here

• PhotoJoseph
    replied
    OK, last batch. The marinate was good (thank you @RonB) but I prefer my original. The picked onions were a total win though! And doing the SV at 127 for about 3 hours worked great. I iced it to cool fast, and finished when the time was right. As you can see, it came out great!! Thanks everyone for the help!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    OK, I’m being serious and don’t take this the wrong way but why would you SV a flank steak?? It cooks so fast to perfection on a hot grill anyway, just seems like a lot of trouble for such a thin piece of meat?

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Joule has a different recommendation for Flank and Skirt. Fine print is that the basic steak and ultimate steak recipes are for tender cuts.

Correction: the flank green beans and whatnot goes short time. The carne Asada goes 8.

• PhotoJoseph
    replied
    Batch two…
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    replied
    My Joule recommends 129 degrees for about an hour then a fast sear for steaks. I use my gasser or a blazing hot cast iron pan. I dry off the steak and let it rest as grill/pan heats up. rests.

It's my understanding that it's the combination of time and temp that kills all the bad stuff. USDA Cooking temps are food safe for meat at the stated temp instantly. If you cook at a lower temp you pasteurize your meat and it is safe.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoJoseph
    replied
    OK, it has begun! Using the Rachel Ray recipe (modified for missing ingredients) and the veg will be done on the grill, so no deglazing. Meat will SV at a lower temp for a couple to few hours, depending on everything else. Here’s some photos; more posting as we go on my instagram @ photojoseph ;-)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• PhotoJoseph
    commented on 's reply
    MBMorgan — gorgeous. Thanks!

• PhotoJoseph
    commented on 's reply
    OK, I’m definitely only talking about a few hours, not the full 12, so that’s good to know. Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here