Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

side by side with pulled pork regular vs sv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

side by side with pulled pork regular vs sv

been wanting to do an experiment with this new unit that I got a few weeks back called the joule. been playing with it with hamburgers and steaks. But wanted to see how it stacked up against my regular smoked pulled pork.
    I sliced a 10 lb boneless pork shoulder in half right thru the money muscle and salted both 5 lb pieces for 24 hours. I then rubbed mmd onto the one I was gonna sv. I bagged it up and vacuum sealed it and into the pot it went at 330 am on wed. the joule was set at 167 and I keep it in the water for 20 hours. After the 20 hours I pulled the sv out and shocked it in an ice bath
    I got up on the 4th and then started my wsm and prepped the other hunk of pork like I usually do. I also rubbed it with mmd. I then unbaged the sv butt, patted it dry a little and added more rub to it. I put them both on the smoker at around 415 am on the 4th. my fireboard monitored the cook. My avg pit temp was 280 with the water pan.
    at 7 am the sv butt was done. so I removed it shredded it and re vacuum sealed it in a bag and shocked it again. I was looking to firm up the bark. well a couple of things I noticed. it seemed to have a lot of grease still but was really tender. I weighed it and it lost 2 lbs. during the cook. hmmmm okay that seems about righit.
    I didn't want to be the only one to do a side by side comparison so since I was heading over to my realitives later in the day, then they would be the victims.
    the other pork butt finished at 11 am so I did what I usually do, I foiled and rested for 2 hours before shredding, then pulled, vacuumed packed and shocked also. I did have more bark being I never wrap in the cooker and powered thru the stall with it.
    When I got to my relatives, I fired up the sv and put both bags in a pot to reheat up to 150 till the other proteins were done. my relatives didn't know which one was which so it was a good comparison.
    of the 3 relatives, I was surprised to learn a few things. they all liked the sv over the traditional which really surprised me. on comment that they made was that it had more "smoke" flavor than the one that was smoking for 6 1/2 hours. The other thing that caught my attention was the smoke ring in the sv as I was pulling it. I read a lot of remarks where a smoke ring was not present and to use Prague powder to fool people. Ill pass on that. I forgot to mention that the full smoked butt weighed after at 3.4 lbs, so it lost less moisture than the sv one, but seemed a little dryer
    Overall, it seems that this sv joule will work pretty well for the 300 lbs of pork that I plan on cooking at the end of the month. If anything, I can use it to reheat the vacuum bags as needed. lets go thru some pics

Last edited by Nuke em; July 5, 2019, 05:43 AM.

I’ll post the pics in a little, have a few things to do so stay tuned

Comment

Here are the 2 5lb rubbed with mmd. Notice the differences in size? The smaller one was already sv’ed
      Click image for larger version

Name:	9AE8351F-CAB4-40E6-9FC3-5C8432B80752.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	707831Click image for larger version

Name:	C6FF576D-843E-4C7B-81C0-955414C972AD.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	707836
      And on the pit they go

Name:	9FF58E72-0804-46CB-817D-56879E8501DD.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	707832

Name:	3CD0A09F-270B-4630-B31E-57233FD7D310.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	707834
      opened after the sv was ready. The sv is on the left

Name:	95EF43C2-2ECC-42CB-B2FB-8C3879BCDB4B.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	707833

Here is on piece that had a sv with a smoke ring

Name:	93703FF1-D5CF-409E-BDF1-F9E21C98482C.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	707839
      Now the straight smoked one and a few pieces with smoke ring

Name:	F0652F3A-681F-4635-9EDD-CDF7066D6830.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	707835

Name:	DE78DC57-26AC-40C3-8D1E-7AA22E780A4B.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	707838

The finished product Click image for larger version

Name:	FDBD09C4-5471-4C9F-8116-3ED694B432DC.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	707837

Comment

When you pulled the SV one off the smoker what was the internal temp?

Comment

• Nuke em
          Nuke em commented
          Editing a comment
          I pulled it at 165

Be right over ,,,,,,
        great write up and I would say somewhat surprising results
        One question ,why did you set the Joule @ 167,,,not like 180 ?
        Just curious.
        End all, looks awesome

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Pick me up on your way please....

Name:	BB03056E-D72F-459E-BE6B-3A69557C6F5A.png
Views:	216
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	707850

Name:	1138A7DE-8895-4F3D-A4E1-A96878E77435.png
Views:	194
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	707851 From all of the reading that I’ve done on serious eats and the joule app it says(each a little different) to go 164 and 167 in a water bath for 18 to 24 hours. So I said why not 20 hours. I’m new to this sv thingy Click image for larger version

Name:	58225991-F751-4C59-8601-A7FD7DD4DD4F.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	707849

Comment

• Greygoose
          Greygoose commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks
          I’ve done pork belly and short ribs SV,,very good
          If I do something longer than 12 hrs,,I forget what I’m doing !

Good test. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Just curious, how are you going to sous vide 300 lbs of pork butts?

Comment

• Nuke em
            Nuke em commented
            Editing a comment
            After the initial cook, you can shock and store for 3 days in the fridge. Then pull it out and smoke it, then shred then shock and store till ready to reheat and serve. I have numerous smokers and 1 is custom built that can hold I estimate 2500 to 3000 lbs. 1 chamber has 3’x4’ racks which has 9 racks. So that should hold 9-12 10 lb shoulder easy per rack And I have 2 chambers on the smoker that are identical

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sure you have it figured, but I'm still puzzled. 10 lbs took 20 hours, and you have one Joule. Even if you double up, you have two solid weeks of sous vide.

• Nuke em
            Nuke em commented
            Editing a comment
            Way I figure it is that 30 hunks of meat. The 10 lb that I experimented with fit in one of my stock pot. Well I have a few of the large igloo cooler that will hold at least 10 at a time. So I will sv in 3 batches. If needed then they could be frozen before they are smoked. Since I will be vacuum packing em they shouldn’t be a problem with air. My smokers will handle that with no problem also (my wsm with my mods can hold 10- 10 lbers with ease. I mod with 5 grates in the 22.5 with an extension

Thanx for the comparison.

Comment

My expert suggests doing a staging in the bath to limit shrink and moisture loss. For sliced shoulder, he starts the bath at 183f, puts the pork in the water, and dials the temp down to 135, and lets it go 22-26 hours. Pinch.
            (full discussion here: https://lipavi.com/recipe/sous-vide-...inning-to-end/)

For pulled, he takes that roast, and then gives it 2+ hours at 183...

Note: I have not done this process. ChefSteps goes a variety of temps for a variety of textures... 149, 154, 167, 176 all by 24, with 154 being noted as their favorite.
            Descriptions are:
            149: Tender and steaky
            154: Luscious and juicy
            167: Succulent and fork tender
            176: Rich and braisey

Do I have a point? I dunno.
            Since you liked the smoke profile on the Sous B Que, I wouldn't recommend messing with the process too much, like adding a pre-smoke step (which would give you better bark, btw).

I might suggest a synthesis here, of starting the bath at 183, dialing down to your final temp and letting it roll until it pinches right.

155 would reduce the amount of purge and loss. But might change texture a bit as well, to more luscious and juicy versus succulent and fork tender (qualitative descriptions that aren't that meaningful, tbh).

OTOH: If you really liked your results, don't mess with it, especially not for the big cook.

Nice cook and I'm eager to see you scale it up.

Yeah, I don't have a point here.

Comment

• Nuke em
              Nuke em commented
              Editing a comment
              Well I’m starting now cause I have an event for the 27 of this month then a week later another event for 4500. So I’m starting now to get the kinks out. Now this is just the pork portion. I still have to do briskets and chickens. I think I’ll just do my briskets with big red (only 300 lbs). And keep them true Texas style no sv.

Nice write up. What this tells me is... if I want to eat fresh pork shoulder early in the day, and also sleep through the night, best to sous vide in advance and then finish the day of eat. Otherwise, just smoke all day.

Just one question... when do you sleep?

Comment

• Nuke em
              Nuke em commented
              Editing a comment
              I sleep when I can. I might go to bed at around 10 (unless I’m doing an overnight cook, then it’s cat naps when possible). I’m up at 1 or 230, do my day job, then back to experimenting with things. Oh yeah I squeeze in house chores when I can. How’s the saying go? Late to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. Sumtin like that.

Great write-up, Nuke em ! Surprising result!

Comment

Originally posted by Nuke em View Post
              been wanting to do an experiment with this new unit that I got a few weeks back called the joule. been playing with it with hamburgers and steaks. But wanted to see how it stacked up against my regular smoked pulled pork.
              I sliced a 10 lb boneless pork shoulder in half right thru the money muscle and salted both 5 lb pieces for 24 hours. I then rubbed mmd onto the one I was gonna sv. I bagged it up and vacuum sealed it and into the pot it went at 330 am on wed. the joule was set at 167 and I keep it in the water for 20 hours. After the 20 hours I pulled the sv out and shocked it in an ice bath
              I got up on the 4th and then started my wsm and prepped the other hunk of pork like I usually do. I also rubbed it with mmd. I then unbaged the sv butt, patted it dry a little and added more rub to it. I put them both on the smoker at around 415 am on the 4th. my fireboard monitored the cook. My avg pit temp was 280 with the water pan.
              at 7 am the sv butt was done. so I removed it shredded it and re vacuum sealed it in a bag and shocked it again. I was looking to firm up the bark. well a couple of things I noticed. it seemed to have a lot of grease still but was really tender. I weighed it and it lost 2 lbs. during the cook. hmmmm okay that seems about righit.
              I didn't want to be the only one to do a side by side comparison so since I was heading over to my realitives later in the day, then they would be the victims.
              the other pork butt finished at 11 am so I did what I usually do, I foiled and rested for 2 hours before shredding, then pulled, vacuumed packed and shocked also. I did have more bark being I never wrap in the cooker and powered thru the stall with it.
              When I got to my relatives, I fired up the sv and put both bags in a pot to reheat up to 150 till the other proteins were done. my relatives didn't know which one was which so it was a good comparison.
              of the 3 relatives, I was surprised to learn a few things. they all liked the sv over the traditional which really surprised me. on comment that they made was that it had more "smoke" flavor than the one that was smoking for 6 1/2 hours. The other thing that caught my attention was the smoke ring in the sv as I was pulling it. I read a lot of remarks where a smoke ring was not present and to use Prague powder to fool people. Ill pass on that. I forgot to mention that the full smoked butt weighed after at 3.4 lbs, so it lost less moisture than the sv one, but seemed a little dryer
              Overall, it seems that this sv joule will work pretty well for the 300 lbs of pork that I plan on cooking at the end of the month. If anything, I can use it to reheat the vacuum bags as needed. lets go thru some pics

Well here we go as I have said before I don't like SV. But let's ignore that. The errors in testing this are so glaring it goes against all I have learned.
              First all tests must be made with equal lbs of meat not from split parts as split parts can contain different muscles and results in different results. So both should have been 10lbs.
              Second a pork butt should be rubbed with the same rub. I think you did this.
              Then you replaced the SV' pork back in the SV where it lost more fat.
              Yep do not use Prague powder unless you are curing meat.

Well good luck in however you do your butts. See my posts of yesterday and today for the recipe for Western NC pulled pork. Good luck on your smokes.

Regards.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                First you could have not have split it equally down the middle. The bone is very dissimilar, you could not have equal pieces in each half. The money muscle is also more or less on one side of the butt. The money muscle looks like a tenderloin and I don't know how you would split is since it not in the middle of the butt.
                Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 5, 2019, 06:42 PM.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                "Well here we go as I have said before I don't like SV."
                Yeah, you’re right. No one cares.

As to the rest, you cook one way. Not everyone conforms and no experiment is perfect. But, keep picking at it to reinforce your unwanted and unfounded opinion.

Like I said in the other thread. You’re entitled to an opinion. Whether you should share it is a separate question.
                Last edited by Potkettleblack; July 5, 2019, 06:51 PM.

• Nuke em
                Nuke em commented
                Editing a comment
                Okay let’s clarify. As I stated, this is a Boneless pork shoulder. (No bone). Where I purchase them the money muscle is intact. If you look at the pictures a person of your expertise can spot it ( I can and I’m not an expert).
                Now these boneless pork shoulders are sold in 2 packs. They remove the bone then cut in half (hence 10 lbs a section) then vacuum pack, then sell it. Why they have to be 10 lbs according to you is beyond me. Does it matter if it’s 5 or 10 or 20 lbs

I would think splitting one butt down the middle would be better than buying two butts that came from different animals. I think you did an excellent job trying to make an equal comparison.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                A good butcher can provide you the butts form the same hog.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                But if the pig only sits on the left side, then it will have uneven development and two shoulders will not be equivalent.

• Nuke em
                Nuke em commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you. It’s all a learning curve

Now as I said, this was an experiment with my NEW sv.
              I have not done this before and I thought people would be interested in a different method and what my results are. Is there room for improvement? Of course there is. Did I do something wrong and can learn from? I sure. But I do not have a controlled lab where I can measure the fat content per oz or what the pig ate the day before he was slaughtered. I am not an expert. I just know what I know. Most of the time I am wrong, hence why I taste test with various people and neighbors. What might be "correct" to you may not be right for the people in my area.
              I am not saying I like sv or not. It is another tool to experiment with. Nothing more, nothing less.
              If people don’t like sv, that’s fine. I have no problem with that. But to hound a person just because you don’t like a certain product or what it produces is an unfair bias comment.
              Personally, I don’t like doing whole hogs. Have I done them, yes many a times. Can I critic the process? Yes. Will I, no. No reason to .
              i posted this because like me, there are people on this site that are curious about different techniques and hints and tricks to improve the quality of the product they produce. I am not bragging about this I am merely explaining the results of an experiment that I did.
              Last edited by Nuke em; July 5, 2019, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                I, for one, really appreciate your experiment and excellent write-up. Please don't let some ignorant jackass who has never tried SV nor knows anything at all about the technique but who still "don't like SV" discourage you from your efforts to learn even more about SV ... or anything else, for that matter.

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                It is a good experiment and a good write-up. I like it when people try to stretch their boundaries, and share the results.

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                Think it a great write-up and experiment giving the inherent limitations of cooking. You've certainly given me something to think about in regards to my next pulled pork cook. Will try something similar and see what my people in Western Kansas prefer as I'm trying to do more with my Joule too. Good luck on your upcoming cook. I'm quite sure you will rock it just as you did this taste test!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here