Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Brisket Recipe, The Sous-Vide-Que Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meatheads recipe
    calls for using a brisket flat approximately 6# at 155 degrees for 30 hours. Would you adjust the time and or temp if using a full packer brisket approximately 11-12# trimmed?

Originally posted by Lesp View Post
    Meatheads recipe
    calls for using a brisket flat approximately 6# at 155 degrees for 30 hours. Would you adjust the time and or temp if using a full packer brisket approximately 11-12# trimmed?
    For SV, temp is doneness and time is tenderness. When it comes to meat in the SV, you don't need to adjust temp when changing the weight of the meat. Changing the cook time really comes down to how thick it is. 30 hours should still be plenty of time, though adding 10 hours or so won't hurt either.

Comment

Time = tenderness. The last one I did was a medium rare finish (which I prefer) QVQ which I bathed at 130* for 52 hours. Some say to go as long as 72 hours although I don't see the point. At 52 hours everything was rendered and the final smoking was simply to establish some bark.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...t-step-by-step

When cooking at 155* however, you're cook time should drop dramatically. I'd go 36-40 hours if it were me. Here is a really good guideline I've used for my cooks developed by Kenji and the Food Lab.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/...q-brisket.html

One last thought, be sure to pre-smoke your meat before going into the SV bath. Meat when cold and wet will take on the most smoke. It will take on very little after the fact. I'd run it up to close to 150* IT on your smoker prior to bathing it. You will see a marked improvement in the flavor. Good luck !!!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree on all that... there is a belief in the sous vide community that over 140* in the SV won't accept much smoke. I dunno if that's true or not, but I find double smoking gets better smoke than post smoking.

Thanks for the comments. 155 degrees for 36 hours it is. Depending on trimmed size and shape, I may decide to separate the point and the flat and back time down to 30 hours. More later.
      Last edited by Lesp; July 1, 2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here