Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QVQ - Marinate?? Brine??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QVQ - Marinate?? Brine??

Get ready as this will be a somewhat long post. I've stated before that I'm a HUGE fan of the Troutman QVQ method (with proper acknowledgement to Potkettleblack, EdF, and others who I've learned from). On a recent post, Troutman noted that he didn't season before freezing and vacuum sealing meat and suggested that I look to others for differing opinions. Well, I'm strongly considering a chamber vacuum sealer that has a marinating cycle. I've read Dr. Blonder's experiments on marinating/brining, etc. on how far it penetrates(brining) and doesn't penetrate(marinating) into the meat. I'm interested in knowing if anyone has done experiments on meat penetration, length of time to reach adequate salt penetration, taste/texture of meat using a chamber vacuum sealer for marinating and brining. If there is no difference, then I'll likely get a less expensive model that doesn't have a marinating cycle. I appreciate all opinions and especially those of Dr. Blonder on the science of marinating/dry brining in a vacuum as I suspect that wet brining in a vacuum would make no difference. All the brining/marinating is that which is done before the initial smoke. Thanks to all!
    The OmegaDog
    Last edited by OmegaDog12; June 28, 2019, 07:16 AM.

No help here... I'm a sous vide naked 90% of the time person.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Just like the hot tub.

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      New meaning to casual Friday.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a meme of Morrissey saying that Joke isn’t funny anymore.

I'm thinking of a sponge. Being squeezed. No help retaining water there.

Commom man common sense would indicate that sealing for long periods (24hr) of time would help.

i would be interested in the science there as I am intellectually naked here.

Comment

I've seen the commercials and stuff saying that vacuum marinades are supposedly better, but that is just companies trying to make money. The meat is a solid which doesn't change shape or form in a vacuum. The liquid will adapt to whatever volume/space is available but doesn't change form either. This link explains it much better than I can.

https://genuineideas.com/ArticlesInd...emarinade.html

For salt, penetration it is all governed by chemistry and diffusion of the sodium and chloride into the meat. If you are crazy and want to look at this deeper you can find papers like this one.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...60877405005704

Notice their formula for diffusion considers concentration of salt, temperature, and meat, but doesn't mention pressure. Either way I would save your money unless you just want to be able to vacuum seal containers.
      Last edited by sos2979; June 28, 2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• OmegaDog12
        OmegaDog12 commented
        Editing a comment
        @sos2979..I read both articles and I have an Excedrin headache. Both articles answered my questions and THANKS MUCH! Getting good answers that make a lot of sense is why I will NEVER let my subscription lapse!
        The OmegaDog

• sos2979
        sos2979 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, the first one wasn't too bad, but that second one you need a PhD in chemistry to understand. I have a BS in Biology so I understood about every 5th word. It still makes the point that salt is simple diffusion and vacuums don't change that.

For marinating, vacuum sealing it will cut the time that the seasoning will flow into the meat. The caveat emptor is that the size of seasoning will only penetrate the meat a short distance. I have tried this and even after 4 hours there is no change past 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Will vacuuming decrease the time needed in dry brining, I would not think so. The salt has to do it's thing and that is a time determined process based on the movement of the salt and juices.

Well do as you like everyone enjoys the right to experiment.

Comment

• OmegaDog12
        OmegaDog12 commented
        Editing a comment
        As I read the articles by sos2979, you and Dr. Blonder came to the same conclusion - you with everyday trial and error, Dr. Blonder with physics and thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here