Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had my first soo veed last week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had my first soo veed last week

While vacationing in the Outer Banks last week, we visited a new restaurant. I seldom buy a chicken dish when we eat out, (except for fried chix), because most places seem to overcook it. But this place, (The Village Table and Tavern in Duck, NC) had a dish called "chicken and gravey". It sounded good, so I took a chance and ordered it.

It came out very juicy and tender with a crisp skin and was very good. I mentioned to the waitress how good it was and she said that it was cooked in a plastic bag first, then the skin was browned. I said sous vide and she said yes.

I may have had sous vide before, but I could not tell. It was good enough that I actually thought about getting a SV machine - for a second or two.

I sous vide chicken before frying it. Perfectly done every time.

Kathryn

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s the one I’ve used also. Been trying to beat it. No luck so far.

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      That recipe is foolproof and delicious. I go 2 parts flour, 1 part cornstarch for extra crunch.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      That's my go-to as well. Love the video. That guy is so goofy and brainy all in one. Absofrigginlutely delicious fried chicken.

A lot a restaurants utilize sous vide to turn out product not only better and more consistent, but faster. Used to be large machines until they came up with the calculators for home use. For consistency and overall result its unbeatable. I guess my only complaint is the time factor and having to sear or rehandle the meat. You really have to plan ahead, sometimes days ahead. But steaks, oh my, really hard to beat that edge to edge finish.

Also love veggies cooked SV but by the time you get the water to temp, bag the product, cook it you could have steamed it and have it eaten. Oh well nothing is perfect, I do love the SV process however. You definitely need to get you one Ron.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Asparagus 👍

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Potkettleblack We SV onions for our 8oz Wagyu burger.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Prefer asparagus on the grill, tbh.

Must resist SV! But you guys keep bring up reasons why it should be on me must have now list. Stop it d@%^*it!!

Comment

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Go Joule.

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      In the same boat as you ofelles!! I keep trying to resit but these posts keep sucking me back in!!! Uhg...another gadget...She is truly gonna kill me this time!!

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife gave me a weird look (more so than usual) when my Joule came in the mail, and everyone at my work laughed at me. Now it's how we cook steak 90% of the time and half the people at work own one.

Yep, I did some asparagus a couple weeks ago. It was a pain getting them in the bag and sealed, but they were perfect. Nothing but salt and pepper.

Comment

Right now I've got my SV machine set @ 140 warming up some Trader Joe's frozen meatballs.

'Fasta Pasta' cooking spaghetti in the microwave set to 12.5 minutes.

Costco 'White Linen' marinara sauce simmering.

Some cheese

Perfect stupid simple meal every time.

Comment

Sou Vide Tri Tip or Chicken Breasts or Boneless Pork Chops are great IMO.

Comment

Sous vide is da bomb! Buy one.

Comment

Sous vide pork belly,,,slice ,crisp under broiler or on a grill or a griddle,home made bao buns, hoisin sauce
            sliced green onions, home made sweet pickles,,,,,,unnnnnnnbelievable
            get one,,,it’s kinda like smokin and grllin’ but,,,,different,,like way different
            Hydro reverse sear

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Dang man!!

The ability to do white meat chicken and have it be moist and juicy is amazing. I don’t do it enough.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              I bought a couple cheap SV wands back at Christmas for like $20. Just to try it out and not sink 5x that much in something I didn’t like. Have yet to try it...ha. I need to study up on this chicken recipe though...it sounds amazing.

SV Chicken thighs are darn delicious when fried. We cook our under vacuum for our fried chicken.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Even boneless thighs are great SV/Fried.

Kathryn

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc We bone out the leg quarters of Pasture birds and SV them in a dare I say house "brine" then we shock them and hold cold. They are dredged per order and served with a fermented Fresno gastric and some other sauce that escapes me. They are really super delicious. (Let me connect you with the reservation desk. LMAO!)

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd love to come to your restaurant, HouseHomey. The food sounds great. Maybe one day...

Thanks for the info about boning out the bird leg quarters; I'm boning out more chicken parts lately too, because it's easier to eat.

K.

Chef Steps SV Turkey ice bath, fridge overnight, on the Smoker to get back up to temp and Ooni pizza oven to crisp the skin in cast iron. The ONLY way I ever want to do turkey again, absolutely the BEST!
            Get one its a game changer.

Comment

chicken breasts and pork chops. those 2 things alone justify the existence of sous vide

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
                Elton's BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                I have to get intro SV...

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here