Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Sous Vide cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Sous Vide cook

So my Joule came in and I had to break it in immediately. I had a coulette steak available so in it went. I decided to go with the Joule's setting which were 129.2 for 1.5hrs based on an estimated 1.5 inch thickness and medium rare. I used a gallon ziplock bag as I didn't feel like getting out the vacuum sealer. Seared it on flat side of grillgrates to try and get nice even browness. Was pretty happy with results. Might bump up the temp a few degrees as it was more rare than I expected, but the tenderness and juiciness was spot on. Definitely happy. I also which I had spend more time patting it dry before trying to sears. So much juices made the sear not as strong. Live and learn I guess.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sos2979; June 8, 2019, 12:40 PM.

That is a beautiful piece of meat! Nice job. I usually go a little longer (2-3 hours)in the hot tub and around 135*
    Maybe Potkettleblack will chime in. He has studied the Sous Vide pretty good and might add to you knowledge.

Comment

Good job. Nice looking cook.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with that. I’d eat that!

Comment

Nicely done.

Comment

Looks great! Love my Joule.

Comment

Looks good.

Shocking would improve sear without over cooking.

Joule recipes don’t include shocking. So they cook at a lower temp than usual. If not shocking, if thin, not an issue. Their doneness guides are good.

Your steak looks thicker than inch and half. Might be a factor.

Comment

• sos2979
                sos2979 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I realized that right as I pulled it out, but I also put it in while it was still heating so I was hoping that additional time would even it out. I think it was done fine, I just need to figure out the sweet spot for my taste.

I usually pat dry and add a coat of avocado oil to our sous-vide steaks, chops and roasts before searing at 700° or so on the Grill Grates Griddle on my gasser. I spritz the Griddle with avocado oil as the meat sears to keep it sizzling nicely. Works for me.

Good call on the Ziploc bag, btw. I seldom vacuum seal unless it's a long cook.

Kathryn

Comment

I usually find i prefer to go 135 on sous vide steak. Kinda weird because its higher than i would shoot for on a reverse sear but i personally find thats the sweet spot on sous vide.

That is a fine looking cook though

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do the same. My wife doesn't like it "bloody". She understands about myoglobin, but it's just a matter of upbringing.

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  133-135 is my jam for nearly all beef products. 135 is the pork chop temp.

• sos2979
                  sos2979 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think i'll try 132-133 for my next beef cook. I think part of it is just not being used to the accuracy and perfect even cooking you get with SV. I always reverse seared in the past, but with something this thick you still get some variation from top to bottom. This doesn't. Perfectly medium rare even in the thinner parts. I like it, but is going to require a bit of learning.

SV is idiot-proof. I didn't use mine once this winter and am seriously regretting it.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not true. Lots of people can make bad Sous Vide decisions.

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also, food safety is never idiot proof.

I need to add one of these to my arsenal. That looks amazing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here