Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy BBQ Sous Vide Tomahawk steak with grilling trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy BBQ Sous Vide Tomahawk steak with grilling trick

Tomahawks are fantastic but really like an old lady buying a Ferrari to drive to church on Sunday. You pay for the bone which is almost 1/3 the weight. My meat market "discounts" them a bit below the price of a trimmed ribeye.

Issues with a tomahawk are cooking to the bone, long low temp cooking close to the "rot the meat" zone and fat that melts on contact with the grill. Because it is a flat steak I will not QVQ it. I do not want any part of a grey edge and it is ribeye.

First rule for big long and low cooked meats is fresh and cold: buy from a good meat place (pre-order is best) and keep the meat cold. Never use frozen meat for this kind of cooking (my rule).

This tomahawk was 3 pounds with bone, a full two inches + a few hairs.

What I did is a two day process:

Dry brine with lots of salt: it's thick
    Place on lower back of fridge (coldest place) for 24 hours

Bag the meat with what herbs and other flavors you want. I just added black pepper this time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Steak in BAg.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	688817

Place in cooking vessel. I use a standard stock pot. You will need a lid or something to seal the container (or lots of water additions which increases solids forming on the machine).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Steak in Pot.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	688818

My temp was 134 f. I prefer 132 but my spousal unit wanted it less pink. She thinks the reddish liquid on the plate is blood. It's from the bark and the meat juices.

Cook 6 hours. For this 3 lb 2"+ steak 6 was perfect. It did not do the ugly tear from too long in time.

Trick for grilling
    Flat bed of hot coals started to time with the meat in the sous vide
    Dry the meat off (cotton towels come clean with Dawn dish soap and Oxiclean)
    Have a spray bottle of water in your hand. The beer can wait
    At three pounds this is awkward to grill the fat edges. Use a rib rack to hold it and simply rotate as needed

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rib Rach edges.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.45 MB ID:	688819

Then it's flat side and get ready to spray. I end up having to spray one side, go the the other and back. The neighbors are entertained. Flames are OK but not too many and not the ones that lick the meat and blacken it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grill with Spray Bottle.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.49 MB ID:	688820

Show off, carve and eat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Finished Steak 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	688821

Oh, about the $13 dollar bone: There is a lot of good chef's choice picking to be had. And then I get maybe $10 of peace and quiet out of the bone from my two needy dogs over the next week. I hacksaw it into two pieces.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dog.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.50 MB ID:	688822

Humm, a BBQ meat focused website and "ribeye" shows as misspelled
    Last edited by Moscuba; June 2, 2019, 11:10 AM.

It's s shame you had to over cook it. I SV my ribeyes to 130°F, tops. But it still looks good. Nice job.

Comment

• Moscuba
      Moscuba commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. Usually I get the spousal unit to eat 132 which is much better but we had friends over that cook everything beyond death so I had to raise the temp. Next time for them it's burgers.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I wasn't criticizing. Just saying. . . We all have to do what we have to do to keep peace at home and to be good hosts. Again, you did a great job within the parameters you were required to work.

• Moscuba
      Moscuba commented
      Editing a comment
      I wasn't hurt at all. You are right. I bought the wrong meat for guests with a zeal for grey meat. Best over cooked meat is sous vide!

I don't know how I missed this one, excellent write up. I agree, tomahawks have become the beauty queen at the prom of late but really are a waste of money except when you want to impress your mother-in-law.... or someone !! I prefer the cowboy cut as well, basically the same thing without 6" of bone that ends up being a puppy treat !!

Your technique worked well, edge to edge perfect doneness. We like it a little more rare but nothing wrong with wanting it your way, well the wife's way which for most of us is your way .

Fine job !!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here