Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off-Flavors in Sous Vide Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off-Flavors in Sous Vide Process

Specific Question: Presearing and Sous Vide:

I came across this little nugget on the Modernist Cuisine website:
    Searing food before vacuum sealing and cooking sous vide can add depth to the flavor of sous vide dishes. This step should be avoided for lamb, other meats from grass-fed animals, and a few other foods in which presearing can trigger unwanted reactions that cause off-flavors and warmed-over flavors to form when the food is later cooked sous vide. We recommend searing those foods after cooking them sous vide.

Well, OK then. But for which "few other foods" does pre-searing trigger unwanted reactions that can cause off or warmed-over flavors with sous viding?

Followup Question: Other Sources of Off-Flavors with Sous Vide:

I've read here on The Pit that raw garlic and olive oil are two sources of off flavors in sous vide. Plus I've read here that raw garlic in oil in the sous vide environment can promote botulism.

So those are two no-nos for me when sous viding. No olive oil. No raw garlic.

Any others?

Kathryn

Last edited by fzxdoc; May 27, 2019, 06:18 AM.

The guys from Sous Vide Everything on Youtube do experiments testing different things such as which pepper works better. They always sear afterwards ((with a torch). I haven't seen where they have tested the before sear. Will check on it.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Doesn't look like they have done a test. However, found someone that did a tomahawk rib-eye that he said tasted great. He seared over charcoal then sous vide then over charcoal on cast iron grates.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the pre-sear off taste affects lamb and grass-fed meats, which would include game. Not with all meats. So if you hear a report about grass-fed meats and lamb from Sous Vide Everything, I sure would love to know. Thanks, Jim.

Kathryn

Seems grass fed as mentioned.
    Also:

Game meats
    hard seared poultry
    Offal like, sweet breads, liver etc...
    Perhaps shellfish/seafood
    fruits like melons and some citrus
    Herbs such as Rosemary
    veg like onions, tumeric, ginger and artichokes when not turned properly.

These just come to mind but I’m sure there are others.

some including above just need proper care.

hope this helps.
    Last edited by HouseHomey; May 26, 2019, 01:27 PM. Reason: Spelling of course

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I would scratch rosemary from that list. Lots of people bag rosemary with steak (why, I dunno, based on the science), but never report off tastes.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much, HouseHomey. I'll add your list to my list.

Kathryn

Interestingly, when I highlighted and googled your entire Modernist Cuisine quote, I got a few potentially helpful hits.

One, in particular, said that lamb should not be pre-seared because it contains a lot of unsaturated fat that can oxidize very quickly while cooking. Presumably, the same no-pre-sear logic would apply to anything high in unsaturated fat.

In one article I found, it was said that you should never pre-sear "anything with skin" such as chicken and fish ... which seems consistent with HouseHomey 's list of things to avoid. FWIW, I've also SV'd shellfish like shrimp and lobster with excellent results which make me curious about them being on HH's list of things to avoid.

HouseHomey also mentioned "herbs such as rosemary" ... about which I'm curious because I routinely use fresh rosemary and thyme sprigs in the SV bag when cooking things like duck confit (no pre-sear, of course).

I know I've mentioned the need to avoid raw garlic (although granulated works really well in the bag) because of the potential for botulism and to avoid olive oil. To clarify, the olive oil concern is about the potential for a nasty metallic taste developing from the use of Extra Virgin olive oil specifically. That said, with the exception of duck fat for SV duck or chicken confit or butter for corn on the cob and/or lobster, I pretty much avoid adding any oils or fat to the bag because it usually adds nothing to the party ... and may even detract a bit.

Finally, I've got a local chef friend who won't use SV in his restaurant because he feels that herbs, spices, seasonings, etc., can behave "unpredictably" in the SV bath. I suspect that he's had bad luck with "normal" non-SV recipes turning out very differently when SV'd. No surprise there as warned by Kenji Lopez-Alt to those that would simply take an existing recipe, vacuum seal it, and SV while hoping it all turns out (it often doesn't).

Mike
    Last edited by MBMorgan; May 26, 2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      JimLinebarger - I've never seen any mention of SV-related problems with avocado oil. That said, it's generally not recommended to use any oil or fat in the SV bag. The only exceptions in my experience are duck fat when doing duck or chicken confit and butter for things like corn on the cob or lobster tails.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Avocado oil is sooooo strong. I hate it.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Sous Vide all proteins naked.

I don’t know why this is hard.

MBMorgan Well I don’t always agree with what everyone else says we should and should not do, especially on the internet, I did mention that with proper care on some of the above items that should be fine. "Hold my Beer"

Along the lines of what Kenji is saying "just because Mike was able to do it doesn’t necessarily mean the beginner behind him can."

for example did you sear with it in butter, did the butter brown hard, was it a well cleaned cast iron, was there tamale on the lobster tail, was there gran garlic in a seasoning used to sear that can burn and present in the bag etc...

I love Rosemary but when it’s hard seared or cooks too long it can be very bitter or not pleasant. I don’t want that taste in my sous vide bag though I love the taste of rosemary and it could be sous vide properly by Mike.

so there’s 1 million things that can go wrong between a sear and a sous vide bag. With all of the variables and all of the different products, skill level and palate preferences.

Herbs in general are often unpredictable. At least they are in a restaurant kitchen. A good steady supply is great. Very much like one Apple tasting different from another. Once you put that sucker in the Sous vide bag it’s anybody’s guess when you cut it open. That’s why I don’t bake.😃 also because I’m no good.

I can see your friends point about not wanting a machine and his restaurant. We use them quite a bit but he makes perfect sense when quality and consistency are extremely important

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the explanation, HH! ... it all makes much more sense now. Appreciate you taking the time to fill in the (mental) blanks ...

Also (and FWIW), I only use raw, washed whole herb sprigs in the SV bag ... never cooked or even heated in any way (and certainly not seared). They're just in there to add a bit of flavor and they are always removed before the post-SV sear.

Thanks again ...

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Good post. I've been using a sous-vide for several years and I have had issues with off flavors when using certain herbs. Maybe some just aren't suitable for very long cooking times.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      My take home message from this is to avoid herbs, (cooked or raw) unless I know they can be consistently used without a problem. Thanks Erik and Mike.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; May 27, 2019, 06:05 AM.

I don’t see any advantage to pre-searing, and some possible negatives, so why bother?

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I've pre-seared steaks once (we never eat grass-fed beef if I can help it) and honestly didn't notice much of a difference. Nonetheless, I had thought to incorporate pre-sear in much of my sous-vide to up the umami. Now I'll just be more selective with what I choose to pre-sear.

Kathryn

• OKHNYC
      OKHNYC commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm a fan of it if I'm cooking the meat below 140 or will be taking a long time to get north of 140. It's a food safety precaution for me and perhaps a finicky one, but I feel better doing it.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. In side by side tests I can't taste a diff.

While I sometimes smoke before Sous Vide, I’ve only done a few projects with pre-sear. I can see the flavor development argument, particularly if you are planning on utilizing the purge. Really, only if you’re going to use the purge.

I dont really like GF beef, and generally don’t like it more when processed Sous Vide. Gets a powdery texture I don’t care for. Lamb fat hoes funky with high heat. I don’t want that in the bag. I don’t like a hard sear on chicken. It’s like eating wood. So, I wouldn’t do that, anyway.

Herbs are a waste of time in the bag, as they generally don’t cook below 160 or higher. And, oh yeah, Sous Vide is EXTRACTING moisture and holding it against the surface. It’s not gonna infuse your protein. Stop believing that, read the Marinade article on the free site, and you will be freer than even J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Freeeeeedooooommmm!

• binarypaladin
      binarypaladin commented
      Editing a comment
      I gotta say, 95% of my sous-vide is either just salt or nekkid. I really haven’t found that adding anything else helps, especially since I almost always sous-vide at under 140°F. I do want to attempt a double smoke on an upcoming project but that’s less about anything but a second application and nothing sous-vide specific.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven’t noticed a benefit when I was adding herbs to the bag, but I will not dispute your results or preference. I prefer a clean purge, which allows for reduction or addition after Sous Vide.

I don’t pre sear and rarely add stuff to the bag. I have a tri tip in now that’s for tomorrow and I added a tad of salt this time.

Now I have go do it a bunch just cuz of this thread. But really just the water and the bag has been good to me.

thanks PKB for pointing out the surface thing. That can still make stuff good though just like marinades.

Once again you are on point.

Comment

Wow. This is why I love this site.
    I was gonna add some advice, but as I read through the thread basically everything I was gonna contribute was already discussed.
    Way to go guys. You rock. 👊👊
    The only thing I can possibly add is when I’ve SV’d steaks, I have often used fresh rosemary thyme, and garlic with good success. And I never presear.
    Hating to repeat my wording, the only thing I have noticed was a greenish coloring from the garlic which obviously disappeared from the post sear.
    Carry on my pit family. ❤️

Comment

For me the eye-opener was from the Modernist Cuisine information that I quoted in my OP. I would not have thought that pre-searing grass-fed meat was not a good idea. Not that I eat it if I can help it, but still I make it for guests from time to time, and a friend gave me several cuts from one of his own grass-fed young bulls that he had butchered. The bull's name was Lucky, but obviously he wasn't. Anyway, I digress...

I'm with you, Steve B , I love this site because, to take one example, for all the sous viding I've done, my very first sous vide tip from MBMorgan and subsequently echoed by others steered me in the right direction with respect to sous viding most things nekkid.

Kathryn

Comment

• Foehn Watts
        Foehn Watts commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a great post/discussion and thank you for starting it! I do not sou vide anything; don't have the gadget--yet. But, I love reading and learning about this stuff.

I did laugh out loud when I read " . . . sous viding most things nekkid." Rephrase?!! :-)

Potkettleblack interwsting thought I just had. Have you ever SV’d primarily for the purge? Or equally weighted the two. Or is that the "Boil in the bag?" Boil is a high temp though.

perhaps adding additional liquid to the bag for the purpose of using it. Short ribs and longer cooking things come to mind.

I can can see why that’s dumb in a lot of ways but am I missing anything good?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        If I want stock type thing, I use my pressure cooker. I don’t really want extra liquid in the bag. Extra liquid is extra extraction.

I could see cooking something that would produce a lot of purge. And then using the purge as an add in to stock.

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
      Potkettleblack interwsting thought I just had. Have you ever SV’d primarily for the purge? Or equally weighted the two. Or is that the "Boil in the bag?" Boil is a high temp though.

perhaps adding additional liquid to the bag for the purpose of using it. Short ribs and longer cooking things come to mind.

I can can see why that’s dumb in a lot of ways but am I missing anything good?
      A while back, Potkettleblack posted a really helpful tutorial about how to make use of the purge. Maybe that is along the lines of what you're thinking?

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I read that more then once when he posted. I was just thinking out loud.

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and contributions to my list of stuff not to sous vide. Here's the list so far

Foods that cause off tastes when sous viding:
      • Grass fed meat, preseared
      • Lamb pre seared, due to high amounts of saturated fat that can turn bitter
      • Game, preseared
      • EVOO
      • Raw Garlic—risk of botulism with or without oil in the bag
      • Browned herbs
      • Some raw herbs. Rosemary and thyme, raw, seem to be OK if removed before the post SV sear
      • Possibly shellfish, although shrimp and lobster seem to do fine.
      • Herbs and other ingredients added to the SV bag do not penetrate the meat but do flavor the purge, which can be good if the plan is to use the purge as well.

Any corrections or additions will be much appreciated.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; May 28, 2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Great list!

I just want to add I eat a lot of grass fed beef. Pre-searing might cause issues (dunno myself, never bothered) but otherwise I’ve never had any issue, and this includes long cooks like brisket and chuck roasts.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
        Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and contributions to my list of stuff not to sous vide. Here's the list so far

Foods that cause off tastes when sous viding:
        • Grass fed meat, preseared
        • Lamb pre seared, due to high amounts of saturated fat that can turn bitter
        • Game, preseared
        • EVOO
        • Raw Garlic—risk of botulism if oil in bag as well
        • Browned herbs
        • Some raw herbs. Rosemary and thyme, raw, seem to be OK if removed before the post SV sear
        • Possibly shellfish, although shrimp and lobster seem to do fine.
        • Herbs and other ingredients added to the SV bag do not penetrate the meat but do flavor the purge, which can be good if the plan is to use the purge as well.

Any corrections or additions will be much appreciated.

Kathryn
        Minor correction: Raw garlic presents a risk of botulism regardless of whether oil is in the bag or not.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, MBMorgan . I'll go back and correct it right away.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here