Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV my $10 ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV my $10 ribs

Beef ribs were still on special . I selected the best rack. Total price for what you see in the pic is just under $10 usd. About 65c a lb. Anyways, enough gloating. Potkettleblack I was to Sv these for tomorrow nights asado. (24 hr sv ) what temp for medium rare tender ribs. I intend to give them a hot n furious spanking on the parrilla to brown them a little just before eating. Also should I salt them now?.
    Attached Files

Makro is the same place I buy some of my meat from and the logo on your packaging is the same as the one here.
    Sorry no help on the questions but must ask is the SV a new acquisition?

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Yepp got it last month when I was in NZ. My new toy.. Always looking how I can improve my Q

Here are some notes from several Pit denizens on SV short ribs:

=== Beef short ribs

[not sure who wrote this first one - may have been Polarbear777 ]

I didn’t give up and did a final try: 48 hours at 57C/135F. Wow! Amazing taste, very juicy and tender. I now completely understand all the raves on eGullet! And now that I have read some more on the forum, I’ve noticed that 48 hours at 57C/135F is also what is recommended there most often. So perhaps I should have started with that in the first place. Oh well…

Now how about some smoke, says Ed?

From the brisket recipe above, 24 -36 hours at 135, cool, then smoke a couple / three hours to intended bark at 275-300 (seems high to Ed).

Potkettleblack:

I like them at 132x72 then sear. For SVQ, I guess I'd go 155x12, then chill all the way down, rub and 225x3 or so with smoke.

---
    Breadhead says:

I would recommend dry brining them overnight in your SV bag in the fridge. Then the next day SV them to 170° for 6 or 8 hours. Cold shock them in ice water (in the bag) and put them in the fridge.Then that day or the next day take them out of the bag, blot them dry, put on some beef love or canola oil and apply your rub. Put them in your smoker at 225° and cook them until you get a good bark, about 5 hours roughly. Test them with your temp probe. When they're soft like buttah, about 195°/200°, they’re done.

Taking them to 170° in the hot tub leaves you 25° to 30° additional cooking time in the smoker to add the smoke flavor and enough time to build the crust.

Breadhead revised:

165 for 72 hours, ice and fridge overnight, followed by ~5 hours on the smoker. The SV time in this one makes the texture like braised meat.
    Last edited by EdF; May 17, 2019, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot great advice

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead, now that's a stab from the past lol

Until PKB replies, here's my 2 cents:
    1. I would dry brine them overnight uncovered in the fridge.
    2. Before sealing them in the bag, rinse well to remove excess salt. The reason: Salt can behave unpredictably during SV (especially a relatively long time).
    3. For medium rare, I recommend 131F (55C). The reason: 131F is at the low end of "medium rare" and, more importantly, is the lowest safe temperature for SV ... especially for a long time due to the possible presence of spore-forming bacteria that can survive indefinitely below 131.
    4. After SV, unbag them, season, and sear.
    5. Enjoy!

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, I don't have 3 days to wait. These ribs are short timers! thanks
      Last edited by Ahumadora; May 17, 2019, 03:55 PM.

I haven't done them in a year and a half, for some reason I can't access my post. But in it I watch the following from Chef Steps which is a very comprehensive overview of 8 different ways to SV short ribs based on the texture and finish you're trying to achieve. It is the best over view I've found. I ended up choosing the 144*F/62*C bath temp for 48 hours. That gave me exactly what I wanted after the final smoking....

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Here was the results....

Click image for larger version

Name:	smoked ribs.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	680632

Name:	smoke ready ribs.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	680631

Name:	ribs cut open.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	680630

Comment

Trimmed some of them competition style. Salted and back in fridge for the night. Love that dark red meat and yellowish fat. Always shows nice grass fed beef.
      Attached Files

Comment

I would make another plan.

Doing them MR at less than 48h is cruising for a bruising. The chefsteps link above is my go to for T&T variations.

My go to is 133x72h. For grass fed, I’d bump down... 130 or 131.

The line that 131 is the minimum safe temp for Sous Vide is dated information. I believe as low at 127 can be safe, but I don’t really care for the result below 131. And my wife really doesn’t do that, so even when I want that rareness, I have to do hers a different way, making it more effort.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          I just put the ribs in the bath and coming up to temp. Decided to cook them more after looking at chef steps to a medium - well done. Due to total lack of planning and general disorganization on my part.
          I now have about 10 hours to cook these. Set at 65c/149f at the moment any thoughts?

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I think this is not gonna be a good cook.

I’d crank that temp a lot higher for the short run. These things are tough as leather when cooked wrong.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here