Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why shock??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why shock??

Ok brand new to sous vide, i get the concept. And i get why you would sear at th end. But why would you shock? isnt thst just counter productive. Wouldnt this render the meat to become tough?

Also, is sv and sear more tender than indirect and reserve sear?

I've always thought about it this way. If I'm sous viding a piece of meat that I don't want to overcook by searing, the shocking method stops that cooking process allowing an exterior crust to develop during the sear without ramping up the interior temp above desired. Once the meat is rendered it doesn't become un-rendered.

Is SV and sear more tender (and thus better) than conventional grilling? Depends on the cook and the palate, both are very good to my taste. Try them both and see what you think.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep!!

Cold shock it to get the temp back down so you can then sear. if you don’t cold shock and then sear, you overcook it. And no, it’s not "tough".

Some people will swear by SV and others don’t. You can make up your own mind 😛 I love it. And it’s very convenient for my family.

Comment

It all depends on your goals. You don't have to shock. If your goals are Medium Rare or less, SV help you from overcooking the meat. Basically you have less "banding" of grey cooked beyond medium rare. You warm up the cooled meat and sear for a brief period to get maillard reaction/browning. This allows edge to edge red with just the edge seared.

Indirect and reverse sear will produce similar results as SV for Beef Tenderloin/Filet. There is more to gain with New York Strip and Ribeyes.

I love Sous Vide when cooking lots of steaks. I will SV 3 temperatures, shock, warm and sear. It is much easier to cook a dozen or more steaks to perfect temperature. This is very difficult without SV.

Comment

There’s also a food safety issue for storage. If you’re not searing immediately (as I frequently don’t” putting a hunk of hot meat in your fridge is a slow crawl back down through the danger zone, and will also raise the temp of anything near it in the fridge, taking them into the bacterial danger zone for a while, as well.

If youre not worried about pasteurization and you’re just gonna sous and sear, and you don’t want to shock, you can cook a couple degrees lower. But you’re not shocking all the way cold. Maybe just 10 minutes to chill the surface to manage the heat of the sear better.

Comment

I only shock if I am not searing right away. I take a steak from say 129F, dry the exterior, maybe coat with a little beef love and then sear at super hot and don't have noticeable banding. 600+ to 129 is about the same as 600+ to 50 in that regard.

Comment

• Irishfuente
            Irishfuente commented
            Editing a comment
            How long can you wait between the sc and the sear without losing tenderness

• fracmeister
            fracmeister commented
            Editing a comment
            sc? I guess you meant to type sv and assuming that I can only offer that I never usually need to wait more than an hour...i just leave it in sv until I need to sear. but if i am shocking and keeping it---well, i have kept chicken a week in the fridge

It's the reset button. SV to tenderize and cook, shock to hit the reset button so you can grill/smoke for flavor w/o overcooking.

Comment

Thanks guys makes more sense now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here