Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Que - pulled pork....experiment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Que - pulled pork....experiment?

Had a piece of meat in the freezer that was a year old and needed cooking. It was vacuum sealed and my wife and I couldn't figure out for sure what type of meat it was. Our guess was a brisket because of the fat cap and the fact we don't remember ordering pork. It was frozen and we needed it for dinner the next night so it seemed like an opportunity to try Sous Vide at the front and a smoke at the end.

I put it in the bath for 24 hours at 155 (my go to for brisket). Afterwards, I gave it a cold bath in 40 degree water for a few hours. It wasn't until I opened the bag that I realized I had pork and not beef. This was a low risk cook and I just proceeded as planned.

I salted the meat at this point, and of course my rub was the Big Bad Beef Rub which actually tasted pretty good.

I used the 22" kettle with SnS and a few chunks of apple for almost 3 hours. I heated too many coals in the chimney and threw them on with a pile of old snuffed out coals. The pit temp started around 250 and ended around 320 by the end of the cook. I took the internal temp up to 150 which I know is a little high.

Meat turned out quite well. I haven't been successful yet creating pulled pork. I was able to separate the meet with forks, but just barely. It definitely needed more time in the bath, but it was fine for my quests. The meat was drier than I like, but I suspect that is a result of re-heating it to an internal of 150?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	665017Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0905.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	665018

Generally you want to keep the IT below the one you used for SV.

Comment

My pulled pork Vide Que I did at 165 for 8 hours in the bath, then about 4 hours on the Primo Junior. It was pretty awesome.

Comment

Always label you frozen meat.

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife just told me to do that just10 minutes ago when she asked what chunk of meat was in our kitchen freezer and I couldn't give an answer. Even after much inspection.

Kenji suggests 165x18-24h for traditional pulled pork, and 145x18-24 for sliced.

The ChefSteps folks go 154 (not that different from what you did) x 24 for 24 hours. But they cube it up before hand, and do not smoke afterwards. But they don't call that traditional texture, rather "structured yet easy-to-pull meat", and traditional at 176x24. On their smokerless smoked shoulder, they go 140x24, but they finish it in a low oven (255x3-4h... no shock), which would be where I throw it on the Grilla instead. They also slice that one, rather than pull.

Kosher Dosher is obviously no help here.

Lipavi/Norm King go: https://lipavi.com/recipe/sous-vide-...d-pulled-pork/

183x2h for cubes, and then pull with a kitchenaid paddle attachment, but start with a smoked pork roast... Sketchy. In the group, he gives a wave of the hand with a time/temp/pinch advice that I don't think worthwhile.

The SVR group has a lot of time/temps, but 140-150 x 40-48 seems to be what works for folks ahead of a 180-225x2-4hr.

Twere I doing it... maybe 155x48, shock and chill all the way down, then smoke at 275-325 until the bark looked right. But I'd probably smoke on the front end as well. I did do one where I smoked first, in banana leaves, then sous vided to reheat, pulled straight from the SV bag and served. that worked really well last year.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          +2 on the front end. QVQ without the first Q is missing the most important consonant

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have never gone that long with pulled pork. I accidentally did 165 for 8 hours, then put it on the Primo for 4 hours. Easily pulled, and everyone loved it. I could maybe have done 2 more hours int the bath. But 24 hours, no way it needed that.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          As temp goes up, time should come down. as folks know, I'm not a big fan of Kenji's SV content. He should have pinched after 8 on his hot one.

Dry meat could mean a couple of things. Could be you over cooked it, but that doesn't seem likely. You didn't overshoot the SV bath temp with the smoke step. Or it may not have rendered the fat and moistened the meat, the more likely scenario. As PKB surmised, leave it in the bath longer at the 155* bath temp to completely tenderize the meat as you would if it was taken up to 203* conventionally. Also doesn't hurt to inject, but that's a whole different discussion.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Other possibility, not discussed... lean commodity pork, injected to 12%, maybe produced a ton of saline infused purge, or leaked it all out during the smoke.

That enhanced pork is just like a sponge waiting for a squeeze.

• Hugh
          Hugh commented
          Editing a comment
          Potkettleblack - there was a ridiculous amount of purge. I will have to learn more about injections and lean pork.
          Last edited by Hugh; April 16, 2019, 10:46 AM.

• Hugh
          Hugh commented
          Editing a comment
          Thankyou Troutman. So counter intuitive that I needed to cook it more, not less! Never crossed my mind that this could make it juicier.

The best part is that you got the mystery meat out of the fridge, which is a sure wife-pleaser. The second best thing is that, with a bit of added sauce, pulled pork is pretty forgiving, even if it starts out a bit dry.

Sounds like you had a good meal with friends, which even trumps the "best part" mentioned in the first sentence.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here