Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide for backyard Maple Syrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide for backyard Maple Syrup

So I had an idea to use my joule to preheat some maple sap to boil down for some Pure Michigan maple syrup. I had an insulated 10 gallon beverage cooler that is to be used as a mash tun for beer making full of maple sap. I then decided since there is a lot of evaporation when using the sous vide if not covered it may work for reducing sap Down to a lower concentration to finish boiling for a shorter period of time. I rigged my joule with a styrofoam float so as to stay at a set depth as it evaporated running it at 190*. After approximately 24 hours it reduced 10 gallons down to about 3 without babysitting and After a couple hours on a gas burner in a large stainless pot I was rewarded with a quart of pure sugary goodness! Click image for larger version

Name:	E09D45BB-AD38-404A-ADDA-D4D9EDC859C5.jpeg
Views:	869
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	652479Click image for larger version

Name:	C0A44A02-7F1D-4196-B804-939AF036D121.jpeg
Views:	815
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	652481
    Attached Files

And here I envisioned the tree in soo veed. Oh well. 🕶
    Last edited by FireMan; March 19, 2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry to disappoint ☹️

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I'm stumped.

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB I’m gonna go Out on a Limb, and say he doesn’t give a Rip🤣

So you had your Joule immersed in the sap? If so (and that's interesting), how'd the Joule cleanup afterward go?

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      It cleaned up fine, at that concentration it’s still mostly water. I have seen a sous vide circulator used in beer making and put directly in the wort so thought it would work in this application.

" I have seen a sous vide circulator used in beer making and put directly in the wort so thought it would work in this application."

Interesting! For my next batch of beer, I just might have to consider using my circulator. Thanks for the info ...

Comment

Here is how I rigged it to float as it evaporates. Not sure what the cost is to run this vs a propane burner but I don't have to watch this. I have another 10 gallons started today and the tree is producing about 5 gallons a day right now so we will see how it goes for a few days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5224.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	652521

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Now this is a hack I love! Great idea!

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      From the picture it looks more like a 5 gallon container than a 10.

10 gallons to get one qt? Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
    10 gallons to get one qt? Wow!
    So much for that tablespoon I just sucked out my tree.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, the first time I tried this with my boy we had about a quart of sap. Once the water boiled off it about instantly turned into a tablespoon of maple candy.

Name:	042660EB-63B0-439C-9BCE-A1C0103A19AB.png
Views:	759
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	652687Nate picture is deceiving.

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a beast!

My close friend who is in ICU as I sit here observing him, is a big Maple syrup guy. He makes about 40 pints of syrup a year, last year anyways. I can’t wait to show him this thread. I agree with Spin, this is fascinating.
    The comedy tream of RonB & P-smoke is good for the soul, the maple nut does not fall far from the tree. 🕶

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Prayers for your friend!
      A buddy and I made an evaporator with a rocket stove design burning cherry pits but wasn’t big enough. Need to re-engineer for next year.

My hat's off to you sir! How many trees did you have to tap to get 10 gal, and for how long?

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      1 tree about 28” diameter with 2 taps is producing about 8 gallons a day. A second bigger tree is only produced about 4 gallons in 4 days, go figure?

So yesterday at 4pm I emptied my sap bucket to finish another 10 gallons in the cooler. I started the joule set at 190 degrees and it took about 4 hours to get to temp from about 36 degrees. At 5am this morning it was down to 6 1/2 gallons. I had almost another 4 gallons of sap to add this morning, filling it back up took the temp down to about 150 degrees. I think it was back up to temp in less than 2 hours. I hope to continue these additions till the weekend since weather forecast looks like thi may end.
    Last edited by Powersmoke_80; March 20, 2019, 07:26 AM.

Comment

So in 12 hours it evaporated another 3 gallons so at 5 pm I topped it off again. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5226.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	652910

Comment

So a couple warm nights that stayed above freezing and the sap quit running. 20 more gallons evaporated down to 3 and it boiled down to 2 quarts worth.

Name:	E14288E2-DCCC-4686-954D-1797A5C02A16.jpeg
Views:	740
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	653946

Comment

Hey! This is an old thread but I figured it's worth a shot in replying. Do you still use this method? I've been considering using a sous vide too for my backyard sugaring. I'm also a brewer and smoker so I have a large mash tun (with a spigot and filter) and a sous vide.

Did you notice any damage to the sous vide device?
          Where do you do the evaporating? I would try in my garage or something but I worry it's too cold overnight and will need too much electricity. I also worry about bugs or things falling in? Do you cover it with a cheesecloth or something or just leave it to the elements? Or do you just do this indoors?

Any suggestions for someone wanting to start this. Thanks so much

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome to The Pit.

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois. I also am very interested in this method.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here