Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide st louis ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide st louis ribs

Tried Kenji's sous vide rib recipe yesterday. I was curious, he says it turns out as good as traditional bbq. First thing, I started with Tyson ribs which were in a salt solution, so that probably had an effect. I did what Kenji proclaimed to be the same texture
    as traditional bbq, 165 for 12 hours. Then cooled it down, in the oven at 300 for 20 minutes, mopped, ten minutes, mopped, ten minutes. A bit mushy, not good! No flavor. I used rub and liquid smoke, I actually used more liquid smoke than he said. No flavor. You wouldn't eat these without sauce, and then it might as well have been pulled pork done in a pressure cooker. The time in oven was not enough to build bark. The meat was moist, but the same texture all over, which is just not right. I took a picture, but it was dark so I won't post it, but the meat was pale and not good looking. I suppose I could do better with the sous vide on these (less time), but I don't see the point. I can cook ribs much better in less time on my smokers.

Good to know...

Comment

• Boydog
      Boydog commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree. When I pulled the ribs out after 24 hours sous vide, they were cooked, but had a slimy surface because of the purge. I didn't want twipe it off because I would be wiping off the rub as well. Took way longer than 30 minutes on the grill at 225 to 250 to get any kind of a surface on the ribs. Finally put them directly over the coals and got a somewhat a decent surface. Over all unimpressed with the recipe, but I may need to try it again.

You really need a good charcoal sear on those after the bath to gain some real flavor.

Comment

Sounds like a lot more work than tossing them on the pit at 300f for 2-3 hours.

Comment

Agreed... I'm a big sous vide fan, but ribs are just not right, if you ask me. I've tried brisket, and I'm still working on it, but ribs just don't work right.

Comment

I have some going right now. I apply the rub, then cooked them sous vide at 150 F for 24 hours. Then I shock. The next day, I open the vac sealed bag, reapply the rub and throw it on the pit for about 3 hours. They come out great. Awesome texture and flavor. IMHO, they have to be hit with smoke to get the "real BBQ" flavor. I looks at cooking them SV as a way to get the texture near perfect. (to my liking anyway)

Comment

Spinaker , thanks for your viewpoint. I've always thought that sous viding ribs would take all the fun out of smoking them from the get-go. Truth be told, I smoke/grill food more for the fun of it than for the good eats. Not that we don't like the good eats too.

But now you have me curious. I may have to do a side-by-side just to see what happens. You must smoke them in your Egg, KBQ or kettle, I'm guessing, as they'd be too fragile to hang in the PBC.

Mark V , thanks for writing up your experience with Kenji's method. I've had some epic fails with a couple of Kenji recipes, and it always takes me by surprise, because usually that guy is spot on.

Kathryn

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I usually do them in the Egg, but sometimes the KBQ.

Spinaker, what's your "perfect" texture? Bite-through, pull off the bone, fall off the bone, or what? Just curious what kind of texture you're attaining with this method? Although I have to say, if I'm going to have to spend 3 hours on the smoker with them, I don't get much of the reason for sous vide in the first place. Unless you think this way is actually superior to a full smoke?? That's the only reason I can see doubling the rub, the extra time and effort for sous vide, shocking and storing overnight, then smoking for 3 hours. I guess I'm just confused or looking for some clarification, I know there are many ways to skin a cat, and that's why we're all here - I'm curious about this method.

Comment

I found when you sous vide triple the amount of rub or seasoning, as it seems to dissipate. And re-apply rub. 12 hours seem's way to long. 3 hours should be enough. I kinda agree I can cook most thing's as good if not better non sous vide. With same effort. Not sold on it yet. Tried and Cooked about 10 time's with it so far. Not impressed. Going to do rib-eye today. and sear after sous vide. Still testing, before it hit's the trash can.

Comment

• ClayJones
                ClayJones commented
                Editing a comment
                How did that ribeye turn out? In my limited experience, steak is another area where SV can really shine.

• treesmacker
                treesmacker commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with grantgallagher on chicken breast - I generally don't like them and would prefer dark meat over breast, but I can say the best breast (chicken) I've ever had were sous vide.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                It is impossible to replicate 72h short ribs by conventional methods. But good luck trying.

Slight tug on the bone, but I like how I can feel the muscle fibers when I bite into the meat. For me, cooking sous vide isn't about saving time, its about cooking things in new and fun ways. Sure I could light up the pit and throw some ribs on, but its fun to experiment!

Here are some I just pulled off the pit this morning! Yummy!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3674.jpeg
Views:	392
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	644287

Comment

SV for something that thin is more work, so it has to be about optimizing the texture. You can try any combo as low as 132F for 72 hours. I haven’t SVd ribs in a long time because smoking is less work.

In any case how you finish them makes a huge difference once the SV gets them tender

Comment

My first response was OH NO. Then I read what ya had to say. 12 hours, yeah & then in oven & apply this & apply that & then...........oh no! Then the gallery comes in and says 48 or a bazillion hours & then 3 hrs.........oh no!
                  I put a light salting then rub my wibs oh so gently 😎. Put them in my kettle with SnS or hang a coulple of wracks in my barrel & 5 to 6 hours done. No sweating, worrying, wondering & certainly not 17 applications & a weeks work put into it. Have fun! It’s what Q is about! My 3 cents worth.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My sediments exactly. 🕶

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am Still using fire, its just another way to cook, man. I just find it fun to play around with gadgets and new ways to cook. That's all. bardsleyque FireMan

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey, Spin, we be havin fun to, also, and ya know.

Commodity pork ribs with an up to 11% salt injection will never come out good in Sous Vide.

Problems with Kenji’s approach:
                  He’s sponsored by Anova, who are in the business of selling Sous Vide devices, so they perpetuate the myth of Sous Vide being a process that will infuse flavor. That simply does not happen on tightly packed proteins, like beef, pork and chicken. It does happen on shrimp, lobster and things where flavor can get between the pieces, like corn on the cob. Or even liquid on liquid, like infusing butter with flavor via Sous Vide.

So, anything you put in the bag with ribs will maybe coat the surface, and maybe that’s good enough. See the science of marinades article on the main site. But...

He’s not using commodity enhanced pork. It’s already loaded with extra water. That brine gets squeezed out by the tightening of the proteins. Unlike the water in the muscle fibers, the injection water is loose in there, and much more subject to being pushed out, like water in a squeezed sponge.

If you were hoping to surface adhere flavor, wet brine is a bad way to go sous vide. You’ll get salty, infused purge, and bland surface.

I dont generally do ribs sous vide, because the Grilla gets me done PDQ. But, I wouldn’t go 165 (I wouldn’t go over 150).

The flavor infusion myth must die.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Whoa PKB, never realized Kenji is "sponsored". Should have figured. Thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here