Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Bottom Round Timing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Bottom Round Timing Question

I am planning on doing this via Meathead Recipe. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...d-roast-recipe

The piece I have is 1.5 pounds. The recipe calls for 3 pound and bath for 30 hours. Being my roast is 1/2 that any suggestion on changing the length of time in the bath. I'm thinking 24 hours. Looking for thoughts and any past experience you might have.

Thanks!

If you follow the recipe you'd be shooting for medium rare at a bath temp of 131*. For a 1 1/2# piece I'm not sure you even need 24 hours, but I've never done a bottom round. I'm thinking more like 18-20 for the steak-like finish, but others may chime in differently.

Comment

I've not done a bottom round yet using SV, but here's what I'm thinking: Whether 1.5 lb or 3 lb, the roast is going to stabilize at 131 degrees very quickly in the SV bath. After that, it's going to take time for the connective tissue and collagen to fully render so that the roast is properly tenderized. According to Clint Cantwell 's recipe that time is 30 hours. Personally, I'd go with his instructions and see what happens. You can always adjust and try again if you don't like the results.
      Last edited by MBMorgan; January 25, 2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Chuck has a lot more fat and connective tissue to render out, he’s doing round.

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman - guess I shouldn't reply before being fully caffeinated . I'm pretty sure that the same time-to-tenderize principle applies to round as well as chuck.

I don’t think the weight should have much effect on the timing. When you’re going for 30 hours, you’re working on tenderization, not pasteurization. I would go at least 12, pinch at 12, but be prepared for the full 30.
      Spinaker recommended the full thirty to someone who asked the same question on the free site last year. I don’t do a lot of bottom round, (like any), so I’m not really familiar with the challenges.

Comment

I tend to agree with PKB, the meat is going to get cooked in a relatively short period of time. It's the degree of tenderness that you want to shoot for. Round is lean so you're not really breaking down as much connective tissue, as you are rendering the fat and collagen into that anxiousness that makes it tender and juicy. I dug into my archive and found this 2.5# top round I did as a London Broil and it came out great. It was a straight SV with a reverse sear, bathed at 132* for 24 hours. I said in my write up that I thought 18 hours would have sufficed, the meat a bit overly tenderized.

I would thus still recommend 18-20 hours for your 1.5# cut, 30 hours is way too much. Remember also that it's not the weight so much as the shape and the ability for heat to penetrate. Thus thinner cuts less, fatter cuts more. Let us know how yours turns out.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll go with 20 hours. Then follow the ice shock and smoke on the gasser.

Certainly will share results. Here's the meat. When I took this I notices a bit < 1.5 lbs. Will still do the 20 hours. At 4.99/lbs, and at < $7 total, I won't be too bummed, other than I might still be hungry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190125_151344.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	627526

Comment

I would have to say it was a successful cook. I did 20 hours in the bath, a couple of hours in ice bath then on grill at about 225 to 240 till it hit 125. Temp was about 40, so not bad to regulate. Very tender. Could literally pull the slice apart without having to cut it. Bark was solid, crisp and delicious. Here are some shots.

Ready for the bath

Name:	KhzVKxLF6iwloOLmxzALB8MQZMJG93KFm1-xrH-_fYiokamBKYJXQ19EC0YPWydG9T8hsnvWnwRjYewbYiMxXgThzt0IGM7WmK6t5x8jH7cgoPMfzbsdXr8s78226yUxd3d8vEkjM38UP8fbjt0qIjjNosSaDZnIkBMGfrQBlJBfyHWfGyYkARwAQqPaHBlk6xLqq84YxFujouKeNAzOLmdWZUTLhZr0wbF1f8S02hRazwwFv_5JLSPFCqFHrcA
Views:	260
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	628960

Note the sophisticated method to control evaporation and temperature.

Name:	A0e4xvj8-iFG9JAKdJsvHKfaqlgGQs-E6nAMVL7PTZhVWIrzgn5uF4FkMbo6wcQN0ghmO3pasTHkGBKK-hOLAcljMFQUtgR6jIIslu0uxUMP-4lNtaraP7sV9P_bm6_0l5GYyQ3LpR62PYhwaqgpfjyQktVTmINqnBv5imkaiZqQLpvBdMWbEZlBFkWolUlu4lIkmL1EaXbga-l42CS6dWTb0SDu-9sC_c_tLk3IB3CoIkAqSiMgk6jt97cE5Z6
Views:	288
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	628961
            Out of the bath and ice. ready for the grill

Name:	Mnkg09KycDX6T91t8F62O-12_X3oXLaG22mACAAzTpBvkJh6SOXbNkvROd3a1EDLUYlzJO1u9qR0hmpFAG9Z28TqPS8Rv46BTw8Hns7iBb_lQP-JBa1-AAerZh_B15GXES0olRbmjxi4PqRmDSIJ1WGDrrX8HT8vLgLQp0P93T9En_PoAk1HvnjGNUn47_ZTxFfSt_8JlCIHWcM6jhE78068_3Mq6tCgpCIE2ORAH7jvBAQemDPaIFXPH3DcpUX
Views:	267
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	628962
            On the grill

Name:	OEgLaxmjvT_9TMfwfOLudhc6ka1nVo39Y5L4wFJ7tUdp_J-cHzW0d7Sv-1sy9A4zhvl7T7EuQcyq0B0pHldC-FkGfHAPInZuFF96cOlSXMQSFqIGKHOddiG5rbMbZ1TreOOmnTKeZVVQqVRneBfgMUt8b7eFXSP2KtyRykBFf1U6gkgP1HGVbicp2pMyk3XGOpgKYsIgC7Kr6H-FK5xvbjnBfLlkBsMz_ckPY1gvk9LywpvMtt8Ks6QFcbPYbL1
Views:	279
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	628963
            Off the grill and ready to slice

Name:	UjOybqAAlg-k90RonVmtvvxxPMteh2tt04ijEe3ZxAXrKObU6GH3bieg-R1hCzHJJtr6CQVGzUOkDpOrQFfoo6SCllMRVXuY3i7IWp6ZcWgva6T_vP4SVWmzPoRyeXCKg-TVxH1E2yNuDm-nYb6uxyJTgSG4SaQmCemEMSOCrmpBVanfB2cZ33Zl_2RmV65S5_M04pL_2bdJR8lHCS9TX_yekKdnpPV5qfqf4_HbHrWrJW1AIG20iR2p5KEEH65
Views:	284
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	628964
            Time to eat

Name:	2_w3jSKzg3-IsBAmpLw1XZpDkWWWrhhs5CDc2VT5tLfhl_k1r0mh9uQIWAqTdm1rIjFAHar3i2qm0UcvJ5uGiTTHHgO2ARaGxnLib3W33OKpBlSPM9dSQ954E_BuM1y-8jNtoCpswvlH-rH4XaPjQjY3ekMTsOHV6fOZ0fYNoNAxZvU6VTdZwMIydm-8xLElY3B8khCO6EsZ8mGDhhWy5Xx-2AYweZSV0_NrXyzaKnqJYDQKUr3zaYuGHcUe8-r
Views:	286
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	628965

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I used to use towels with those bulldog clips you use when a stapler won't do... but for some reason, this annoyed the wife. Saran works nicely as well with the bulldog clips.

• RichieB
              RichieB commented
              Editing a comment
              You can't see it, but foil under the towel. Don't ask me why, I just do it that way. Temperature did not fluxuate 1 bit. And no evaporation when done.

Clint Cantwell, Curious to know why the long SV in the recipe. If there's not a lot of collagen to render, and not a lot of fat, I would think you'd go with the minimum pasteurization time for the thickness at the temp,, though I note Baldwin recommends a long cook for eye of round, as does Kosher Dosher (with the caveat that it's for slicing thin). I'm just curious to see the logic behind it.

Comment

With the possible absence of a hard sear (which you may not have wanted) I'd say that cook was right on the money, well done !!!

Comment

Thanks Troutman and yes I didn't sear it. Just on grill indirect to get It to 125. The combination of the 20 hour bath and couple hours on grill @ about 225 created a nice bark based on the recipe rub. I can't tell you the why, but it was good.

Comment

I usually go with 30 hours when I am doing this, but I have never gone to 20 hours before. The way I was looking at it was; if it ain't broken, don't fix it. But I might have to give 20 hours a shot. Thanks for your input!

Comment

On further review, as a working muscle, it might just be tough muscle fibers that require the extra time. Chuck has a lot of connective junk, by being a complex muscle cluster. None of the round cuts (Top, Eye, Bottom) have the variegation, but they work to move the cow. I guess that makes the long bath make sense. Something to consider.

Comment

Late to the game here, but I guess it depends on what you're going to do with it. I just did a CAB top round roast last night for Roast Beef sandwiches, about 2.5-3 pounds IIRC (about 2in h x 4 x 4?), and following something from Serious Eats, I did it for just 6 hours at 125 and it is beautiful and tasty when sliced on the electric slicer.

Comment

I am going to do this for a christmas dinner donation for a family in need. I doubt they have a smoker or grill. What tips would I give them to finish and reheat in an oven? 250 for 2 hours?

TY.

Comment

• willxfmr
                          willxfmr commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If you have done the full cook and the meat just needs to be reheated, then I would deliver it in a foil pan, and include a can of beef broth, and some aluminium foil. For instructions, I would recommend putting the roast in the pan with the beef stock, tightly cover with foil, and heat in a 300 oven for 60-90 min.

The most important thing here is, good for you for taking the time to do this for a family in need.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here