Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country style pork ribs Sous Vide advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country style pork ribs Sous Vide advice

I picked up some good looking bone in country style pork ribs today and I’m planning to cook them Sous Vide Saturday. I haven’t made these very many times and never made them Sous Vide. I’m looking for some time/temp advice. I’m definitely gonna finish in the smoker and am considering smoking before the bath as well.

On the Anova site there was a recipe that was 140F for 3.5-4 hours. But the Sous Vide Everything Youtube channel did some at 150F for 24 hours. Here is that link.

Comment

The Joule app recommends 158* for 24 hours for Country Style Braised pork ribs. It appears something between 150* to maybe as high as 165* for 24 hours should do the trick depending on finished texture you are looking to achieve. My recommendation would be to smoke the ribs first with a fruit wood of choice but thats just me. Let us know how it goes as I have a rack of ribs I planned to do soon myself.

Comment

You need to determine whether those CSRs are loin or butt. The short, lower temp approaches are for loin; the longer, higher temp for the butts.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I may be wrong but if they are bone-in then they are cut from the loin since the bone part is really the scapula and not ribs. If boneless then they would be from the butt.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Good call. Thanks!

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Butt has a bone, though. You can tell from visual inspection. The shoulder ones will be more marbled and variegated in color. The lion ones will be all light pink with a blob of darker red meat on one end.

I would go 24-hours at 160 F. For pork, I like to make sure I give it time. Then I shock and smoke the next day. Like to start the smoke when the meat is as close to freezing as possible so you get more time in the smoke.

Comment

I’ve definitely seen a wide range of time and temps online, that’s why I figured I’d come here and ask the pros . I don’t know exactly what texture I’m looking for, but was thinking something like actual ribs. My current thinking is to start with a smoke and MMD rub. Pull before I hit my SV temp, whatever that is. Then SV, not sure how long yet. Then shock it and glaze it with sauce on the grill just long enough to set the glaze. I thought they were shoulder, however after opening up the package to get some salt on them, they appear to be a combination of shoulder and loin. Some have bones and some don’t. The ones with bones appear to be loin. Kinda frustrating. Here’s a few pics. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	396047C1-45CB-43D8-A8E2-109B0EC80D12.jpeg
Views:	7273
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	627396Click image for larger version

Name:	57BBE6CC-2749-4FB0-929D-7C346BA13C19.jpeg
Views:	7000
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	627394Click image for larger version

Name:	16EB8947-077E-4BF9-8FBE-B0A0B4C970E3.jpeg
Views:	7052
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	627395

Comment

Based on the imagery, I think you treat like shoulder, not loin. So long cook or hot cook.

I would blonder brine for an hour an hour or two, maybe half strength brine, remove from brine, bag, go maybe 135x48 or 155x12-24, shock in ice water and finish on the smoker or grill.

Comment

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Potkettleblack . I’ve already got it dry brining so I skip the blonder brine this time. I’m thinking I’ll rub it lightly with MMD and throw it in the smoker tonight for an hour or so. I’ll keep the IT below 150. Then into the bath at 155 for about 18 hours. Then shock and finish on the kettle, indirect, at a higher heat just to set the glaze. See any flaws in that plan?

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              No.

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              Good, cause I threw em on the smoker about half an hour ago 😁. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Ok, so here’s the results . Thanks again to everyone for the help ! I smoked them on the kettle with SnS with KBB and a chunk of apple wood yesterday at 225 to 145 IT after giving a light coat of MMD. Then into the bath at 155 for 20 hours. Then shocked in an ice bath for an hour. Then back into the kettle with another chunk of apple wood and glazed with my version of meatheads Tennessee whiskey bbq sauce until 130 IT. The results were mixed. The pieces with a bone that were mostly loin were very dry except by the bone where the meat was great. The pieces with no bone were really great, tender but with a little bite, just like ribs should be. The thick bands of fat rendered very nicely. Overall I’d probably not be too interested in country style ribs again. I got them cause they looked good, I wanted to smoke something today, and didn’t have time to babysit the kettle. The first pic is after the first smoke. Then during the glazing, then the finished product. Click image for larger version

Name:	2292E683-8882-4E2D-ABD1-7B4A7D05B2F5.jpeg
Views:	7174
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	628245Click image for larger version

Name:	3911B6AE-0EF0-4825-9679-1D6BAB0A5928.jpeg
Views:	6989
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	628246Click image for larger version

Name:	54A2BB4C-199F-4DEE-B37C-3734A61D7C32.jpeg
Views:	7024
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	628248Click image for larger version

Name:	0919BBC1-445B-4CC2-8EE9-B26F56564328.jpeg
Views:	6965
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	628247

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here