Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide pork chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide pork chops

picked up some bone in pork chops at the store for a stupid low price and decided to sous vide them. Little bit of salt and some of the below rub then vac sealed. Sous vide for 2.5 hours at 140 then hit them with a quick pan sear. Ive done a bunch of pork loin chops via sous vide and i think im settling in right around 140 for temp...maybe a little lower. Served with cauliflower baked with sour cream, cheddar and parm. Definitely nom.

Click image for larger version  Name:	28C901C6-9D6B-459B-B314-453D2E4C915E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	622356Click image for larger version  Name:	CCA37092-69B7-495A-8E06-2603AD1E567B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.63 MB ID:	622355Click image for larger version  Name:	26D248EC-C3FC-47F9-B786-F3B2020956AF.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.50 MB ID:	622357

135 is my jam, but some folks like 140.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah i think im ultimately going to land somewhere in between

Gorgeous color on the pork chop.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Took it out of the sous vide and patted it down. Rubbed in avocado oil then into a pan with a little smoking hot avocado oil. Probably no longer than 30 sec a side.

Lookin' very good.

Comment

And yes, we pretty much always do paper plates because we are lazy. I hate making the extra waste but its better than plates loading up in the sink, lol.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        You an me both. I noticed my pics have always been on paper plates.

Nice Pork Chops. Good job!

Comment

I’ve been scarred on pork chops from my youth when they were always cooked to sawdust temperature.

I cook lots of pork cuts SV, but avoid chops in any way shape or form. Your picture may convince me to reconsider.

Comment

• RustyHaines
          RustyHaines commented
          Editing a comment
          I recovered from my mother's "pork, the other gray meat" syndrome and I am sure you can too ! Try some double cut chops cooked to 140 tops and you will be a believer.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Come back to the light, Polar Bear. I have some chops that I did at 135x3.5 going this week.

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          SV Pork Chops are amazing. The only way I cook them now.

I've sous vided pork chops, bone in and boneless, at 135° (thanks to PotKettleBlack's recommendation last year), at 140°, and at 145°. The chops SV'd at 135° then seared are the clear winner. So juicy. Every. Single. Time.

I always follow the sous vide step by drying the chops well, rubbing with avocado oil, and then applying my rub of choice. Since all pork ever gets from me is a very light sear, the rub does not burn, even when it contains sugar. It also helps to color the meat.

Kathryn

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          On your recommendation, whipped up some Tim Love cocoa chili rub for the finish. Was a winner.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know, Potkettleblack. My family loves that rub as well for pork chops.

For others who may be interested, here's the recipe for Tim Love's cocoa and chile rub for pork: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/...bed-pork-chops

Kathryn

I agree, if you go low, 135ish, chill then sear, you can hit 135-140 much easier.

Comment

Just did this again today. Went 135 instead of 140 and it was a million times better. Pretty much the perfect pork chop

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            One of us. One of us. Ooble gooble one of us!

Welcome to the <140 pork chop cult. We will eventually own the world.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice to have you aboard the Pork 135 ship.

K.

Yup. Never going back. My wife loved it and she is usually very picky about pork and my 3 year old wolfed down almost a whole chop. Def a winner.

Comment

Yup. It's the only way I'll do chops or chicken breasts now.

Comment

The best part of SV for chops is that you can get incredible meat no matter what the thickness of the meat is by adjusting the time spent in the water bath.

Comment

Doing these today. Pound and a half ea.

Going to try out some of that Savory Spice Chicccorone salt.

Sous vide to 135 F then a finish on the grill with apple smoke.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gorgeous chops. Are those Duroc or Berkshire?

• hogdog6
                  hogdog6 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Man! Those are fantastic looking chops I cannot find any that look that good. I too want to know if they are a heritage breed?

• Bkhuna
                  Bkhuna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just standard retail butcher pork. Still no high end pork in my local.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here