Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide: How to use smoked salt in a SVQ cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide: How to use smoked salt in a SVQ cook?

My best results have come with QVQ but am looking to cheat the system and see if I can get a better SVQ by using smoked salt & liquid smoke. Williams-Sonoma currently has Maldon smoked salt on sale for $3.99 and they also have good hickory & cherry salt.

Anyway, how would you guys use this and in what amount? Would you use it for the dry brine, or inside the bag during the bath, or just the final smoke?

I have a packer in the fridge ready to cook for Christmas. As for the rub I'm just going simple with salt & pepper. I do plan to put a little liquid smoke during the bath as recommended by Kenji but he doesn't elaborate on how best to use smoked salt. I'll post an update after the cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Maldon Smoked Salt.jpg Views:	1 Size:	31.6 KB ID:	610700

Can't really advise, though I'd probably dry-brine with it. Check out this guy's products: https://www.naturiffic.com/

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That "hot salt" looks like a real winner! Larry Grover

• Larry Grover
      Larry Grover commented
      Editing a comment
      @EdF
      Yep, and look at their Tri-Tip with peaches recipe. Good grief!

Also have to get me some Alder smoked salt to sprinkle on salmon.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Larry Grover - that's killer. We have this pork butt cutlet and peaches recipe that is seriously addictive!

EdF , speaking of hot salt, here is this years version of my Smoked (3 times) Ghostly Garlic Salt. Smokey, salty, garlicky and big heat from the Ghost Peppers ;-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181202_185126.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	610776

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes!

You might look at ChefStep Smokerless Smoked Brisket for some ideas on how to use the smoked salt. If you were going to smoke on the back end, I might use half the volume of the salt as smoked salt.

Maldon salt is a finishing salt. I wouldn’t bother using it for dry brine or any step other than table side. The benefit to maldon is the texture. Dry brine will break down the texture and there goes the main benefit of $3.99 salt. Same for bagging it with the Sous Vide. I have Falk Salt, which is a maldon alternative. I don’t cook with it. But it is amazing on nearly everything tableside that needs a bit of textural contrast.

I would probably: dry brine as normal for Sous Vide, add a wee bit of liquid smoke in the bag, per Kenji, finish on the grill/smoker, and then add the Maldon while plating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	611094

Comment

Thanks PKB, that all makes good sense. Regarding dry brining I kinda felt like any smoke residue stuck on smoked salt would just slide off once moisture came to the surface. Although I noticed Baldwin used it in one of his recipes (in a wet brine), but I think bottom line is the flavor would be so slight that it would be a waste of expensive salt.

I would have to beg forgiveness to the BBQ Gods if I follow that "smokerless brisket" recipe, but that's a great tutorial on how you can use smoked & liquid salt. I was surprised that they only went 24hrs @ 154 degrees and had Meathead's approval. Then you read the user comments and like the first guy says "This recipe blows, followed to the letter and the flat was dry as a tire." Same with Kenji's user comments...it seems those that went long had good results, while those that cooked it 24hrs complained.

I think the plan will be to do normal dry brine, liquid smoke in the bag, some hickory salt on the final smoke and if it's too light then Maldon sprinkles at the table. 36 hours @ 155 pinch then up to 48hrs if needed. No pressure as this is a guinea pig...we have plenty of other meat available if things don't work out.
      Last edited by Larry Grover; December 23, 2018, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Good plan. I made the Smokerless smoked brisket and it came out pretty good. I think it’s very easy to my a dry flat on a full packer, no matter what you do. I think I got lucky...

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        In that I didn’t have a vessel large enough to do a full packer intact, so separated and then probed the thin flat separately from the portion with flat and point. Led to a shorter burn on the flat and it came out great.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        You’ll also note that neither Baldwin, nor ChefSteps, nor Kenji are using smoked Maldon for brines etc. I just used a bulk smoked kosher salt when I made it.

Here's a post-cook update. I put liquid smoke in the bag and when it was done I used Meatheads BBBR rub, but I added 1 tsp of Spanish smoked paprika (which is slow-smoked over oak) to the rub recipe. I then took a 2 pound chunk of the brisket flat and instead of finishing in the smoker I put it in an oven so I could tell how much effect those two items had.

The answer is really none at all. Caught a small whiff of smokey flavor when I got a good bite of the bark, otherwise nothing. If anything the liquid smoke just ended up in the juice, so instead of having liquid gold instead I got something that tasted like over-salted grocery store beef broth.

So what to do now? QVQ is king but smoking twice is a pain. Next time I'll try PKB's advice (in an old post I found) to use a gasser to smoke. If you don't mind sharing PKB what is your gas-smoking method & tools? I have a Weber E-330.
      Last edited by Larry Grover; December 29, 2018, 03:40 AM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Webber E-330 here as well. Tube with pellets or chunks on the flavor bars produce the best long smoke. Chunks are really the best.

Water pan as Meathead sets up, on top of the grate on the "hot" side, under grate on the cool side.

Left burner to lowest setting after getting the wood going. All others off.

Not as good as Grilla, but functional lacking other options.

Potkettleblack Roger that, thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here