Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide saved Thanksgiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide saved Thanksgiving

Often I will smoke beef for Thanksgiving to compliment the turkey. This year I went all out and bought the monster beef ribs from Snake River Farms.

The ribs UBS arrived on time and nicely packed. The ribs themselves did not disappoint. They were the size of my forearm. They were also packed together at a weird angle.

​
    The plan was to keep them frozen until Monday and smoke them early on Thanksgiving.

Unfortunately the combination of the monster ribs and the other stuff in my freezer caused the freezer door to open Friday night and they fully defrosted the Saturday before Thanksgiving! They were cool(ish) when I got to them early Saturday morning. After a lot of cursing and consulting I decided to try to save the ribs by switching to sous vide. I consulted ChefSteps and cooked them at 131 for 24 hours, 158 for 16 hours, chilled them down and refroze.

i was still nervous on Thanksgiving morning but they smelled fine and threw them on the WSM 18 for about 2 hours

Click image for larger version

Name:	68AA7D44-455A-47D0-8DC7-B3A5DFA82C1C.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	597804

I tried some to make sure they were ok and they were fantastic, possibly the best thing I ever made! The juiciness and flavor were perfect. The best smoked/braised flavor ever.

Name:	440BAE08-5D86-4D30-8CE6-76AEC565BA14.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	597802
    They were a huge hit at Thanksgiving!

Name:	140E7BE1-0AEE-4366-B742-D60F60C35EB8.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	597803
    Attached Files

Congrats on a great save.

Comment

Save the day with a grand slam

Comment

Mic-drop and take a bow!

Comment

Save Schmave just a nice cook with some skills and glory for the win!

Comment

Great Cook!! Did you try 2 different SV temps? Also I don't have a WSM so what temp was that at?

Comment

• smiliepolarbear
              smiliepolarbear commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! I always start long SV at 130.5 or 131 for a day or two to turn collagen into gelatin without squeezing out water. I then crank the temp into the 150s for 12 - 16 hours to get the texture I want. The gelatin absorbs and retains a decent amount of the water.
              I ran the WSM at 250. It just went right to 250 and stayed there for the two hours I needed. A Thanksgiving miracle ;-)

Nothing like tools that work when a good brain and pair of hands are running them!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here