Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special Brisket *A5 Wagyu*! Some brainstorming needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Brisket *A5 Wagyu*! Some brainstorming needed!

I was just gifted an A5 wagyu brisket recently sold by Crowd Cow. It looks incredible. I am planning on cooking it for a Christmas dinner. As some of you may have done a gold grade SRF brisket, any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Heres my initial thoughts
    1) I have to be beyond careful with this due to the quality and fat content, so sous vide first, then smoke to finish. It is a flat only, so even less room to work with.
    2) Going to go as low as I can - sous vide naked at 131. Any thoughts as to 24hr, 48hrs, longer? This is prob as delicate as they come, I will target 36 hours to start.
    3) Chill thoroughly.
    4) 225 degree green egg. maybe cherrywood? Season with salt and pepper only. Based on anyones experience - how long approximately will it take to get from fridge temperature to maybe 140. Will enough crust develop, or will it require a final sear? Will an A5 wagyu brisket pull in too much smoke flavor? This is clearly the step that I am most worried about.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!!

I would be leery of sous vide for A5 for the reason that its fat melts just above room temperature. We have eaten quite a bit of it and you can feel and see it melting just from handling it. It will not require a long and slow cook to be tender.

I’m sure you read this link. https://www.crowdcow.com/products/wagyu-brisket-flat

Best wishes on successfully cooking this exceptional cut of meat.
    Last edited by Donw; November 23, 2018, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• Silverylake
      Silverylake commented
      Editing a comment
      I did read the link when the steak was ordered, and I was hesitant when essentially it was just applying some serious heat to this thing. Its most likely why I considered the sous vide in the first place. I did get my hands on some a5 ribeyes from crowd cow a few months ago, and i was shocked to find the sous vide ones did NOT ruin the steak (i also read the warnings, thankfully didnt ruin them)

• Silverylake
      Silverylake commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the advice!!

For brisket at 131, I would go the full 72.

I would guess, from fridge temp, the tip will get to 140 in fairly short order and the fat end will take a couple hours at most. But I think the way to go is more like 275-325.

After the 72 hour soak, I might just sear it like steak. Should be pretty tender anyway as wagyu.

Comment

• Silverylake
      Silverylake commented
      Editing a comment
      You may be right with the "just sear"method. Using the 300 as you suggested, is that a good medium between getting a good crust and smoke? Approx how long in your estimation would it get up to temperature?

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Hard to say. An hour? Probe it up and keep an eye on the temp.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here